BDD and the State Tourny

NewHampshireRed

I overheard someone say the BDD has sent a team to the state tourny (quaterfinals, semi, or finals) for the last 25 years for the exception of a season or two. Is this true or does anyone know?
WRONG! Twin Valley in 2005 and 2006. Council has won 2 state titles during the late 90's or around 2000. Hurley last went in 1993. I think TV and council made it up there 3 years in a row.

Honaker was in the state tourny last season. I know they pretty much sent a team for the last decade with the exception of 07 or 08 maybe?

I believe the BDD has sent every team to the state tournment. The only one I'm not sure about is Haysi but the rest have been over the last 25 years. I know this decade has been well represented but can't remember all of the teams from the 90's.

Edited by thevols

Council - 2000 - State Semi's

Council - 2001 - State Champs

Council & Honaker - 2002 - State Semi's

Twin Valley 2006 - State Runner Ups

Twin Valley 2008 - State Semi's

Twin Valley 2009 - State Semi's

Hurley 2011 - ????

Honaker went in 2010 and lost to James River in the State Quarter Finals. Also, Haysi made a few state runs back in the late 90's with Heath Sutherland and Kory Bostic. Also, Robby Colley's teams made a run or two in the state tourney. Council's first state title game apperance they had beat Haysi in the semi's.

Edited by rebel05

I'm wanting to think Haysi made the state tourny in 04 or 05 behind Jake Colley and Viers?

In 05 they lost to Gate City in the Regional Semi's. In 04 they didnt make it out of the district. They lost to Twin Valley in the District Tourny Championship game. But at that time only the regular season and tourny champs made it. Which was Council (Regular Season) and Twin Valley (tourney).

I thought that I was right about all the schools in the BDD making state. You know, that isn't too damn shabby considering we have 2 of the smallest schools in VA and TV, Haysi, and Honaker with only 240 to 400 kids.

WRONG! Twin Valley in 2005 and 2006. Council has won 2 state titles during the late 90's or around 2000. Hurley last went in 1993. I think TV and council made it up there 3 years in a row.

Seriously, not a good idea to comment about something you know so little about.

Does 19 of 22 sound about right?

How about 22 in 22?

3 years absent (1999, 2005 & 2007) along with 3 years of 2 reps (2000-2), when the BDD had 5 of the 12 semi-finalists.

Lloyd called Haysi's principal & Honaker's AD to get the non-Buchanan info and I dug thru Lloyd's book and the internet for the rest.

11 : Hurley semis ???

10 : Honaker q/f loss to James River

09 : TV semis loss to EM

08 : TV q/f loss to Nelson Co. (not EM)

07 : ...

06 : TV FINALS loss to Clarke Co.

05 : ...

04 : Council q/f loss to Radford

03 : Honaker q/f loss to Radford

02 : Council semis loss to Nandua

" : Honaker semis loss to Altavista

01 : Council FINALS WIN over Radford

" : Haysi q/f lost to Radford

00 : Council FINALS loss to New Kent

" : Haysi semis loss to Council

99 : ...

98 : Haysi semis loss

97 : Haysi q/f loss to Floyd

96 : Council semis loss

95 : Council q/f loss to Parry

94 : Honaker q/f loss

93 : Hurley semis loss to Franklin

92 : Haysi semis loss

91 : Haysi semis loss

90 : Haysi q/f loss to James River

89 :

88 :

87 : Hurley q/f loss

Edited by VHSLhelper
added 87, updated 93, fixed 08

Thanks, that is very impressive. I know I had heard them saying for the last 25 years or so. But only 3 times in that span the BDD hasnt had a represenitive is quite impressive in my opinion.

Helper, has the LPD, or SWD had that sort of success in the last quater century? Not a bash of any sort, just extremly courious.

I was thinking for some reason that Garden's team of 93 went to state but I guess it was regional. I remember some good games between Hurley and Garden in 93. Hurley was lead by John Potter, Tommy and Tomboy Justus and I think Garden had the Shortridge boy and and maybe one of the Deskins brothers.

Gardem's 93 team was 20-5, so they had the team to do it.

And Whitewood didn't go in that time, either, but I guess TV will cover both of 'em.

Anyone know if Pocy ever made it to the quarters?

I'm not a b'ball guy, mapper, just had a lot of the BDD already on hand, then Lloyd called about something else, so I asked him about the Tigers.

I appreciate it... You know, I found this on Vapreps. The Region D is at the biggest mismatch every season at the State Tourny. This is a horrid system the VHSL has in place!

Final Four Div 1 and Div 2 teams enrollment numbers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page ( 589) Vs Hurley (201)

Galax( 391) vs Luray (537)

Lancaster (449) vs Radford (439)

George Mason (659) James River (486)

Gardem's 93 team was 20-5, so they had the team to do it.

And Whitewood didn't go in that time, either, but I guess TV will cover both of 'em.

Anyone know if Pocy ever made it to the quarters?

I'm not a b'ball guy, mapper, just had a lot of the BDD already on hand, then Lloyd called about something else, so I asked him about the Tigers.

I kind of like you Helper, I'm not really a b-ball guy either but that Garden team kind of stuck out for some reason. I forgot about Pocy and then there is also St. Paul, it's hard to find info all the way back to 1978. I guess it's part of getting old. LOL

I appreciate it... You know, I found this on Vapreps. The Region D is at the biggest mismatch every season at the State Tourny. This is a horrid system the VHSL has in place!

Final Four Div 1 and Div 2 teams enrollment numbers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page ( 589) Vs Hurley (201)

Galax( 391) vs Luray (537)

Lancaster (449) vs Radford (439)

George Mason (659) James River (486)

I know the football playoffs are changing in single a, are the basketball playoffs changing next year in single A

I didn't even know they were changing football, but I they do something different. The D1 schools in Region A,B average over 400 kids at each school vs. Region D is in the 200-250 range on average and Region C is somewhere around 300 kids per school.

Well, it's what the schools want... they're the ones who voted for it .... back in the mid 80's. Wish they'd go ahead and say 25 years of Divisions is enough and go to 5 classes soon.

Edited by VHSLhelper

Yeah, the idea is a hard cutoff of 474 and down for D1, 475 and up for D2. The divisions will take the top 16 teams according to points for each division. The district winner doesn't have an automatic berth anymore which kind of makes winning or playing a district schedule irrevelant.

Sorry for the repost of what Helper said.

just the number.

... has the LPD, or SWD had that sort of success in the last quater century? Not a bash of any sort, just extremly courious.

Took a break to nuke some popcorn and was thinking... if any district can match that, it would prob. be the 3 Rivers w/ EM, Radford & Floyd