2011 NFL Draft

Guest The Variable

Bad numbers? The player of the year in that conf!

I never said "bad numbers". "I said underachieved". There's a difference. Big difference.

I've seen film on him. I think he has the ability to do so much more than he already does. Granted, his numbers are gaudy, but I think he's capable of so much more. "Effort" has been a troubling word for Kerrigan over his time at Purdue. Sure, he's forced 14 turnovers in his college career, but that's not going to come easy in the pros. Does he have the mettle to do what it takes to succeed? We'll see.

Gaudy numbers, issue with effort, playing in a system that doesn't suit him.

Color me unimpressed.

Edited by UVAObserver

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Variable
Earth to Washington Redskins: YOU NEEDED A QB. YOU TRADED AWAY THE 10TH PICK, WHICH YOU COULD'VE USED TO TAKE THE BEST QB IN THIS DRAFT, BLAINE GABBERT. I swear, this franchise is nothing but a steaming pile of FAIL.

If there was ever an owner who made Al Davis look intelligent, its Dan Snyder.

Guest The Variable

Well I am effectively ticked at the 9ers. They had both Gabbert and Locker in their grasp and they chose a Smith for DE. We already HAVE a good DE named Smith. We could have used a corner, but the team NEEDS a quarterback.

Does anybody know what the Raiders did to give the Patriots their 1st round pick?

Chiefs: With Moeaki, Chambers, McCluster and of course the Bowe...why another reciever? They need OLs to keep Cassel protected.

Colts: Good pick. I think they were suprised to see that Castonzo was still available. Gotta give the genius an extra half second to decimate that secondary, especially the Texans secondary since those clowns decided that they didnt need a DB.

I will reserve my draft comments for 2013-2014, when we have found out who has the work ethic and desire to play at the highest level. Just look at most NFL rosters and see how many major contributors come from the later rounds.

you guys need to read between the lines a little...a few things I noticed:

Skins: once again looking for success "now" and will prob bring in a vet QB...I thought it was a good move myself, they got a good player that will fit and now have 2 second round picks to grab linemen with.

NYG: AB will prob be back as they are a RB draft happy bunch and passed on Ingram to shore up the secondary.

Guest The Variable
you guys need to read between the lines a little...a few things I noticed:

Skins: once again looking for success "now" and will prob bring in a vet QB...I thought it was a good move myself, they got a good player that will fit and now have 2 second round picks to grab linemen with.

NYG: AB will prob be back as they are a RB draft happy bunch and passed on Ingram to shore up the secondary.

Well looking for success "now" has kept them from succeeding. They have been irrelevent since 1995. What veteran QB is up for the taking? Especially after everyone has seen what the Shanahanigans did to McNabb. Kolb might be all thats out there worth grabbing.

As far as the Giants, it was a good pick. Ingram would have been a bad choice, they dont need a back that does what Jacobs already does. Bradshaw will be back in the SL if he takes a cue from Adrian Peterson and stops fumbling.

One trend I did notice last night was that RBs are now seen as lower value players draft wise. Only one in the first round. My thought is that with their shorter career spans (6 yr.) and the passing nature of the NFL this may become a long term trend.

Guest The Variable
Only giving up a second rounder for Gabbert. Washington forgot to set their house alarm, but I'm glad we got our QB of the future.

I hope Super Mario and Watt dont hurt him and Locker too bad...if Freeney and Mathis dont get them first.

Locker has a task ahead of him. Hopefully he wont go all suicidal or throw a toddler temper tantrum like some other Titans QBs

I hope Super Mario and Watt dont hurt him and Locker too bad...if Freeney and Mathis dont get them first.

Locker has a task ahead of him. Hopefully he wont go all suicidal or throw a toddler temper tantrum like some other Titans QBs

I won't say how he will pan out, but Locker's background will show you is he is rodeo cowboy tough. He'll play hurt, I doubt there is a diva bone in his body, and he is coachable. Those things should be an upgrade over the Titans last 1st round QB

I won't say how he will pan out, but Locker's background will show you is he is rodeo cowboy tough. He'll play hurt, I doubt there is a diva bone in his body, and he is coachable. Those things should be an upgrade over the Titans last 1st round QB

How's that for an epic 2000th post..

Shanahan wants a mobile QB and wants to run the ball...he always has...he will get a bulldog RB and get the line straight and will roll off 2000 yards rushing...NFL version of ball control offense...a little out dated if you ask me, but that is what he will try to do.

They don't need a big name QB to pull that off just yet, they will just bring in someone to run the offense that wont screw up and they will work on trying to shore up the defense...I think they are still a couple of years away from putting the puzzle together and being a playoff type team...but, i can see where they are going with things...McNabb was just horrible and must have been done behind Shanahans back to begin with...he would never agree to such a move...when I heard that the first thing I thought was "he will be benched half way through the season".

I would be shocked to see Carson Palmer end up in Washington before the season starts...which will be another trainwreck if it happens.

Guest The Variable
Shanahan wants a mobile QB and wants to run the ball...he always has...he will get a bulldog RB and get the line straight and will roll off 2000 yards rushing...NFL version of ball control offense...a little out dated if you ask me, but that is what he will try to do.

The Chiefs do that just fine, they just need a little more seasoning, that is a young team. Maybe Shanahan will go after Tyrod if he likes mobile QBs and I think Tyrod is pretty smart too. However, I am not impressed with Shanahan. Hes not Jimmy Johnson, nor a John Gruden. He is just a guy who had a pretty good QB for a while. He is not going to do anything with that Team that Gibbs wasnt able to do. The team is demoralized from the top down, because you have an epic fail for an owner.

They don't need a big name QB to pull that off just yet, they will just bring in someone to run the offense that wont screw up and they will work on trying to shore up the defense...I think they are still a couple of years away from putting the puzzle together and being a playoff type team...but, i can see where they are going with things...McNabb was just horrible and must have been done behind Shanahans back to begin with...he would never agree to such a move...when I heard that the first thing I thought was "he will be benched half way through the season".

McNabb was fine, but who does he have to throw to? McNabb is and has been for sometime an overrated QB. Its not fair to him but he remains a decent QB. There is little to no wide out support for him and he had a poor run game. You can see how difficult it was for even the Colts without a running game and they have one of the best QBs to play the game along with WRs who will work for him. You cannot put the failure of a failure team on the back of an aging QB who gets no support from his fans, coaching staff or even his own offense. He is a scapegoat for Shanahan who cannot admit that he was failing where better coaches have too (Shottenheimer, Gibbs).

Edited by The Variable

The Chiefs do that just fine, they just need a little more seasoning, that is a young team. Maybe Shanahan will go after Tyrod if he likes mobile QBs and I think Tyrod is pretty smart too. However, I am not impressed with Shanahan. Hes not Jimmy Johnson, nor a John Gruden. He is just a guy who had a pretty good QB for a while. He is not going to do anything with that Team that Gibbs wasnt able to do. The team is demoralized from the top down, because you have an epic fail for an owner.

McNabb was fine, but who does he have to throw to? McNabb is and has been for sometime an overrated QB. Its not fair to him but he remains a decent QB. There is little to no wide out support for him and he had a poor run game. You can see how difficult it was for even the Colts without a running game and they have one of the best QBs to play the game along with WRs who will work for him. You cannot put the failure of a failure team on the back of an aging QB who gets no support from his fans, coaching staff or even his own offense. He is a scapegoat for Shanahan who cannot admit that he was failing where better coaches have too (Shottenheimer, Gibbs).

Shanahan wants a smart mobile QB and McNabb doesn't fit either of those...if you need to know anything about McNabb...just watch the game film from the Super Bowl...last 3 minutes or so...he was lost.

Guest The Variable
Shanahan wants a smart mobile QB and McNabb doesn't fit either of those...if you need to know anything about McNabb...just watch the game film from the Super Bowl...last 3 minutes or so...he was lost.

Again, can you name an available QB who fits that description? And I might recall that Dan Marino looked a little lost when he was in the superbowl too for the better part of that game. What about the last 3 minutes of Tom Bradys superbowl loss to the Giants? Jim Kelly? Boomer Esiason? Hell, Peyton Manning at the end of his last Superbowl.

The closest you get is Vince Young or David Garrard...neither are very smart QBs.

Who DOESNT want a smart mobile QB? Thats like saying who doesnt like a Wide Out with blazing speed who can run routes in his sleep.

Edited by The Variable

Guest The Variable

We have all seen how Shanahan treats players he doesnt want on his team, even in his days in Denver. How suprising is it that he got a QB he didnt like (you even said this yourself) and couldnt get out of his own way in trying to justify getting another one?

UVA's first player (Ras-I Dowling at 33) beats VT's first player (Ryan Williams at 38) this year. :)

But your guy's name sounds like an Australian interstate and ours is Lil Sweetness...so if you look at it immaturely...then we still win...right?

But your guy's name sounds like an Australian interstate and ours is Lil Sweetness...so if you look at it immaturely...then we still win...right?

LOL. :)

I'd like for someone to look between 2002-2009 to see just how many times a UVA player went before a VT player in the draft. I bet it's close to even. Just a shame how Groh mismanaged talent in that era.

The only obvious one I can think of is Chris Long..but I'm sure there might be others.

Heath Miller: #30 in 2005.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson: #4 in 2006.

Chris Long: #2 in 2008.

Those were the three that may have been first over a VT player. I'm not sure otherwise, I'd have to go back and dig through previous drafts. Frankly, I don't want to right now, LOL.

Heath Miller: #30 in 2005.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson: #4 in 2006.

Chris Long: #2 in 2008.

Those were the three that may have been first over a VT player. I'm not sure otherwise, I'd have to go back and dig through previous drafts. Frankly, I don't want to right now, LOL.

Yeah, me neither but hell we're talkin about it.. give me a minute..