Mickelson committs to Greenbrier Classic

Overall, like I said I believe that the course should play a couple shots harder. They completely renovated the greens to make them faster and a bit more challenging to the field. They are also adding yardage to places where they're able to by building new tee boxes. Take those factors into account, narrow the fairways, and grow the rough a little bit longer and you should have a pretty good Greenbrier Classic with a winning score of about -18 par if those changes can make the course play an average of a shot harder per day.

Here's a good article from the Charleston Gazette on the Greenbrier Classic's Media Day yesterday. Looks like Tom Watson agrees with my notion quoted above:

"You look at what Stuart shot [22-under], it's not going to be that way this year," Watson said. "Especially if the greens are firm, we have dry conditions. My guess is going to be 14- to 18-under par, something like that."

Here is the rest of the article. It's a pretty good read for those interested.

http://wvgazette.com/Sports/201106201490?page=2&build=cache

Here's a list of early commits to the Classic too. I honestly expect several more big names to hop on board by the start of the tournament. I'd like to see Bubba Watson, Hunter Mahan, Rickie Fowler, or someone along those lines to play. I really believe the field will be very good this year.

Stuart Appleby

Keegan Bradley

Ricky Barnes

Jonathan Byrd

John Daly

Brendon de Jonge

Brad Faxon

Tommy “2 Gloves” Gainey

Sergio Garcia

Lucas Glover

Charles Howell III

Lee Janzen

Justin Leonard

Rocco Mediate

Phil Mickelson

Jeff Overton

Kenny Perry

D.A. Points

Andres Romero

Webb Simpson

D.J. Trahan

Jhonattan Vegas

Camillo Villegas

Johnson Wagner

Tom Watson

Mike Weir

Boo Weekley

Charlie Wi

Mark Wilson

Gary Woodland

Loft is your friend...14*/15* will go much straighter (and further) than 8*/9* drivers for the average player.

One time, an old golf pro I used to work for had a hack golfer come in his golf shop one day and say "Pro, I can't hit my driver."

The old golf Pro looked at the guy and asked, "What driver are you hitting?"

The guy replies, "Pro, its the one I just bought from you. You know, the latest, greatest model. The same one all the Tour players are hitting it and all the ads and commercials say it will add 20 yards to my tee shots. But I just can't hit it worth a darn. I'm hooking it, slicing it. I even topped a few today."

The old Pro looks at the hack and nods his head, "Yep, sounds like you've got a loft problem."

The old hack replies "But Pro, this is the same driver you fit for me. You said it was the right loft and everything."

The Pro looks at the hack and says, "No, you big dummie, I mean LOFT...L - O - F -T...Lack Of F*ing Talent..."

True story...

If somebody said that to me in a serious tone. I may either 1. Grab my putter and beat the hell out of him. 2. Cry. It would probably be the latter.

Well, enjoy the "big names" this year because it will likely be the last time they'll play at The Greenbrier.

I heard Jim Justice talking about switching the tournament to the July 4th weekend next year...BAD MOVE! That's the week before the British Open and almost all of the "better players" will be across the pond getting ready for the Open. That weekend, the weekend before the British Open, has typically been filled by the John Deere tournament out in Iowa...very few, if any, "big names" ever played in that event.

Well, enjoy the "big names" this year because it will likely be the last time they'll play at The Greenbrier.

I heard Jim Justice talking about switching the tournament to the July 4th weekend next year...BAD MOVE! That's the week before the British Open and almost all of the "better players" will be across the pond getting ready for the Open. That weekend, the weekend before the British Open, has typically been filled by the John Deere tournament out in Iowa...very few, if any, "big names" ever played in that event.

Point taken and I agree that the cream of the crop will be resting (i.e. Tiger and as Phil learned at this year's Masters), as they never play the weekend before a Major. But here's a little spin in an article about the July 4th move that could make it a little more important. If what is quoted is true then it might still bring a little bit of excitement to the area.

"For golf fans and players, the move for 2012 should also drum up more interest because the tournament will move to a pivotal time on the PGA Tour circuit.

"When asked about the timing of the event, Justice deferred to Greenbrier Classic tournament director Tim McNeely, who added a potentially important piece of information about the move that even Justice himself admitted he didn't know.

"I think that's the last week you can qualify for The British Open," McNeely said.

The British Open is one of golf's four major championships and the top 50 players in the world automatically qualify for the event, which is played on the weekend of the third Friday in July.

Given the new date of The Greenbrier Classic, it is almost certain that many of the top PGA Tour players will be on hand hoping to solidify their stance in the British Open."

The rest of the article is here if you'd like to read it.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x1558298508/Greenbrier-owner-says-2012-Classic-moving-to-Fourth-of-July-weekend

But the thing is, all the "top players" have already qualified for the British Open. What you'll have is a field much akin to a Nationwide Tour event, like they have at the John Deere Classic every year...

Here is a list of who automatically qualifies for the British Open:

Category Descriptions

• 1. Past Open Champions aged 60 or under on 17 July 2011.
  • 2. The Open Champions for 2001-2010.
  • 3. Past Open Champions born between 17 July 1945 and 19 July 1948.
  • 4. Past Open Champions finishing in the first 10 and tying for 10th place in The Open Championship 2006-2010.
  • 5. First 10 and anyone tying for 10th place in the 2010 Open Championship at St Andrews.
  • 6. The first 50 players on the OWGR for Week 22, Monday 30 May 2011. Blank entries will be made on behalf of players qualifying in this category.
  • 7. First 30 in the Race to Dubai for 2010.
  • 8. The BMW PGA Championship winners for 2009-2011. Blank entries will be made on behalf of players qualifying in this category.
  • 9. First 3 and anyone tying for 3rd place, not otherwise exempt, in the top 20 of the Race to Dubai for 2011 on completion of the 2011 BMW PGA Championship. Blank entries will be made on behalf of players qualifying in this category.
  • 10. First 2 European Tour members and any European Tour members tying for 2nd place, not otherwise exempt, in a cumulative money list taken from the 6 official PGA European Tour events leading up to and including the 2011 BMW International Open (The BMW PGA Championship, The Celtic Manor Wales Open, The BMW Italian Open, The US Open Championship, The St Omer Open and the BMW International Open). Blank entries will be made on behalf of players qualifying in this category.
  • 11. The leading player, not otherwise exempt, in the first 5 and ties of each of the 2011 Open de France ALSTOM and the 2011 Barclays Scottish Open. With the exception of ties for first place, which will be determined in accordance with the Conditions for the tournament concerned, ties will be decided in favour of the highest OWGR player at the commencement of the tournament. Blank entries will be made on behalf of players qualifying in this category.
  • 12. The US Open Champions for 2007-2011. Blank entry will be made on behalf of the 2011 Champion.
  • 13. The US Masters Champions for 2007-2011.
  • 14. The US PGA Champions for 2006-2010.
  • 15. The PLAYERS Champions for 2009-2011.
  • 16. The leading 30 qualifiers for the 2010 TOUR CHAMPIONSHIP.
  • 17. First 3 and anyone tying for 3rd place, not exempt having applied F(6), in the top 20 of the USPGA TOUR FedExCup Points List for 2011 on completion of the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial.
  • 18. First 2 USPGA TOUR members and any USPGA TOUR members tying for 2nd place, not exempt, in a cumulative money list taken from the USPGA TOUR PLAYERS Championship and the five USPGA TOUR events leading up to and including the 2011 AT&T National. Blank entries will be made on behalf of players qualifying in this category. (THE PLAYERS Championship, The Memorial, St Jude Classic, US Open, Travellers championship and AT&T National).
  • 19. The leading player, not exempt having applied F(18) above, in the first 5 and ties of each of the 2011 AT&T National and the 2011 John Deere Classic. With the exception of ties for first place, which will be determined in accordance with the Conditions for the tournament concerned, ties will be decided in favour of the highest OWGR player at the commencement of the tournament. Blank entries will be made on behalf of players qualifying in this category.
  • 20. Playing members of the 2010 Ryder Cup teams.
  • 21. First and anyone tying for 1st place on the Order of Merit of the Asian Tour for 2010.
  • 22. First and anyone tying for 1st place on the Order of Merit of the Tour of Australasia for 2010.
  • 23. First and anyone tying for 1st place on the Order of Merit of the Southern Africa PGA Sunshine Tour for 2010.
  • 24. The Japan Open Champion for 2010.
  • 25. First 2 and anyone tying for 2nd place, not exempt, on the Official Money List of the Japan Golf Tour for 2010.
  • 26. The leading 4 players, not exempt, in the 2011 Mizuno Open. With the exception of ties for first place, which will be determined in accordance with the Conditions for the tournament concerned, ties will be decided inf avour of the highest OWGR player at the commencement of the tournament. Blank entries will be made on behalf of players qualifying in this category.
  • 27. First 2 and anyone tying for 2nd place, not exempt, having applied F(26) above, in a cumulative money list taken from all official 2011 Japan Golf Tour events up to and including the 2011 Mizuno Open. Blank entries will be made on behalf of players qualifying in this category.
  • 28. The Senior Open Champion for 2010.
  • 29. The Amateur Champion for 2011. Blank entry will be made on behalf of the Champion.
  • 30. The US Amateur Champion for 2010.
  • 31. The European Amateur Champion for 2010.

F (29) to F(31) are only applicable if the entrant concerned is still an amateur on 14 July 2011.