Cave Spring 2 Tunstall 0

Bassett 3 Marion 1

Blacksburg 8 Graham 0

Semifinals:

Hidden Valley 2 Cave Spring 1

Blacksburg 6 Bassett 0

Final:

Blacksburg 3 Hidden Valley 0

Anyone else have any opinions? With the team that would make it to the semis they would move it to Roanoke from Richlands. There is no way they would make those 4 teams travel to Richlands without a SWD team involved.

Blacksburg didn't get their first goal til about 20 minutes in. But after that it was all downhill for Graham.

Graham had a total of 1 shot on goal.... ONE SHOT in 8- minutes. That is just sad.

Quarterfinals:

Hidden Valley 3 Abingdon 1

Cave Spring 2 Tunstall 0

Bassett 3 Marion 1

Blacksburg 8 Graham 0

Semifinals:

Hidden Valley 2 Cave Spring 1

Blacksburg 6 Bassett 0

Final:

Blacksburg 3 Hidden Valley 0

Anyone else have any opinions? With the team that would make it to the semis they would move it to Roanoke from Richlands. There is no way they would make those 4 teams travel to Richlands without a SWD team involved.

Let's see how I did the first round....

Hidden Valley 8 Abingdon 1 - check...wow! did Abingdon forget there was game today?

Cave Spring 3 Tunstall 2 - check...a little closer than I thought

Bassett 4 Marion 1 - check..... get Marion off their so called field and they do not belong in the playoffs.

Blacksburg 10 Graham 0 - check.... why did Graham even make the trip? Blacksburg had 19 shots in the FIRST HALF. Graham crossed midfield twice in the first half. They should give the River Ridge District a 4th team in the region and take one of the Southwest away.

That is just sad to be outscored in 3 games by 22-2....

A big part of it is the lack of strong youth soccer programs on the scale you see in the New River Valley and Roanoke areas. If our kids play on travel teams, they are out of Blacksburg, Roanoke, or the Johnson City area.

From what I have heard, the kids cut from Blacksburg's teams would be competitive in the SWD.

region4fan, I don't think you understand. Blacksburg has probably the best soccer program in the state, and one of the best in the whole country. Their entire team plays club soccer year round, while Graham has like two kids that play for a club. I even heard one player for Blacksburg wasn't playing this year because he's in Germany playing. Blacksburg has 23 players, their bench players can come in and contribute and give them fresh legs and they don't miss a beat. Graham has 16 players. And why are you going on about how pathetic we did? Isn't that what you expected? And it's kind of pissing me off.

I thought Graham would at least put up a fight and not act like a bunch of cones on the field. Hidden Valley did the same thing to Abingdon.....so no big deal.... good luck in Group A next year.

What's up with SWVA schools west of Blacksburg? Is it a lack of resources? Poorer coaching? These tournament results are worse than basketball, and are frankly an embarassment.

I'd say it's more to do with playing against schools with 2 or 3 times the enrollment....

You'll see Graham compete much better in regionals against schools of similar size...even with the teams east of blacksburg...(they're still on the smaller end, even after dropping down).

region4fan, I don't think you understand. Blacksburg has probably the best soccer program in the state, and one of the best in the whole country. Their entire team plays club soccer year round, while Graham has like two kids that play for a club. I even heard one player for Blacksburg wasn't playing this year because he's in Germany playing. Blacksburg has 23 players, their bench players can come in and contribute and give them fresh legs and they don't miss a beat. Graham has 16 players. And why are you going on about how pathetic we did? Isn't that what you expected? And it's kind of pissing me off.

calm down....I hear ya...I'd say the fact that Graham is playing against a school with triple their enrollment has more to do with it....Graham will do just fine when the playing field is level next year...they should compete very well with the likes of Radford, Giles and Galax in regionals...and those schools mentioned have won their share of state titles of late...it's been long overdue...

Let's not forget that all of the schools west of Blacksburg are half the size of Blacksburg or Hidden Valley....big disadvantage.

A big part of it is the lack of strong youth soccer programs on the scale you see in the New River Valley and Roanoke areas. If our kids play on travel teams, they are out of Blacksburg, Roanoke, or the Johnson City area.

From what I have heard, the kids cut from Blacksburg's teams would be competitive in the SWD.

They've been taking soccer seriously in Blacksburg way before youth leagues were even formed in Bluefield....got a long way to go....It's not an afterthought at Blacksburg, it's their MAIN sport...that and the fact that Blacksburg has nearly 800 more students than Graham might have something to do with it...

I'd say it's more to do with playing against schools with 2 or 3 times the enrollment....

You'll see Graham compete much better in regionals against schools of similar size...even with the teams east of blacksburg...(they're still on the smaller end, even after dropping down).

That's fair. I thought this was most likely it, simply having a larger pool from which to draw resources.

Then again, as was said before, having traveling teams doesn't hurt.

Also, being on VT's doorstep doesn't hurt.

what swva lacks is whole teams of kids the same age who start playing together when they're in elementary school. abingdon had that a few years back and was competitive with the rest of the state. in 2007, they lost 1-0 to the eventual state runners-up cave spring. when you get kids who have developed chemistry through years of playing together, that's when you get a good high school team.

i'm not trying to downplay the role of good coaching, but i think this is the most crucial factor in predicting success on the state level. if the kids can just about coach themselves, it's hard to screw up.

so no games at richlands tomorrow night?

The semifinals were moved to Hidden Valley and Cave Spring and the final is being held at Salem HS. Blacksburg is playing Hidden Valley is both the boys and girls final.