Printed in today's June 4th Bristol Herald Courier:

First Team

Pitcher - Mike Wood (Sr.), Tazewell; James Patton (Sr.), Richlands

Catcher - Taylor Gearhart (Sr.), Graham

First Base - Brandon Lineberry (Jr.), Carroll County

Second Base - Reece Strong (Jr.), Richlands

Shortstop - Bradley Strong (Sr.), Richlands

Third Base - Johnathan Kelly (Sr.), Grundy

Outfield - Josh Mitchem (Sr.), Tazewell; Heath Shelton (Jr.), Abingdon; Blake Bowman (Sr.), Carroll County

DH - Zak Wasilewski (Jr.), Tazewell

Utility - Luke Hilt (Sr.), Abingdon

Player of the Year - Bradley Strong (Richlands)

Coaching Staff of the Year - Richlands

Second Team

Pitcher - Alexander Nadler (Sr.), Abingdon; Lee Underwood (Sr.), Carroll County

Catcher - Zach Yates (So.), Richlands

First Base - Ryan Hankins (Jr.), Tazewell

Second Base - Jordan Lamb (Sr.), Carroll County

Shortstop - Cody Justus (Sr.), Grundy

Third Base - Christian Boyd (Jr.), Tazewell

Outfield - Michael Horton (So.), Richlands; Cody Rife (Sr.), Grundy; Matthew Rosenbaum (Jr.), Marion;

DH - Cody Hahn (So.), Abingdon

Utility - Blake Hash (Jr.), Tazewell

Honorable Mention

Grundy - Ben Rife, Asher McGlothlin, Nick Travis, Chris Kelly

Richlands - Josh Compton, Jonathan Cochran, Chase Ray, Tanner Smith, Brandon White, Ben Brown, Taylor McGhee, Logan Salyers, CJ Witt

Abingdon - Seth Kegley, Cade Berry, Travis Shrewsbury

Marion Grayson Moore, Branson Bowman, Trey Ayres, Colin Gullion

Graham - Gray Baker, Logan Kirk, Seth Gearhart, Ryan Monnigar, Spencer Sheets

Tazewell - Dylan Crouse, Gavin Yates, Heath Harris, Chris Peery, Matthew Kincer

Carroll County - Morgan Edwards, Jared Cox, Tyler Snow, Garrett Nelson

Life has many choices---eternity two

Now, I don't mean to be demeaning, but it looks like 80% of the district's players not mentioned in the First/Second teams made Honorable Mention. Has this, too, become an example of the "everyone's a winner" mentality? My apologies, but Graham has SIX people on the First/Second/Honorable Mention teams. That's 2/3 of the starters, and 4 more people than they had wins.

Seems ludicrous.

If player gets nominated and gets at least one vote, they'll get an honorable mention. A few years back, soccer went to naming a 1st team and a 2nd team and as a result of the voting process....Having a 1st team and a 2nd team to vote on led to a lot of kids being nominated and getting at least one vote....and an honorable mention....

I say just vote on POY, 1st team and the kids receiving at least one vote get honorable mention, like the old days....makes it a little more meaningful to make the team.

That being said......some of those kids that made honorable mention could've easily been replaced by somebody that didn't make it at all...couple of kids that I can think of that got a raw deal....but that would happen regardless of how many they let on the team..

Now, I don't mean to be demeaning, but it looks like 80% of the district's players not mentioned in the First/Second teams made Honorable Mention. Has this, too, become an example of the "everyone's a winner" mentality? My apologies, but Graham has SIX people on the First/Second/Honorable Mention teams. That's 2/3 of the starters, and 4 more people than they had wins.

Seems ludicrous.

And a couple of the kids that transferred from Graham to play for Tazewell....don't forget them...

Seems like there is always a Hankins and a Crouse on Tazewell's team doesn't it....I remember one time when Eddie Crouse threw a curve ball at me that looked like it was gonna bean me in the head....I dove and was laying on home plate when I heard the umpire call strike.....I got up and started arguing with the ump....but my teammates told me to shut up....it was a strike....Dude had some wicked stuff....those were the days....

Edited by futbolking

And a couple of the kids that transferred from Graham to play for Tazewell....don't forget them...

Seems like there is always a Hankins and a Crouse on Tazewell's team doesn't it....I remember one time when Eddie Crouse threw a curve ball at me that looked like it was gonna bean me in the head....I dove and was laying on home plate when I heard the umpire call strike.....I got up and started arguing with the ump....but my teammates told me to shut up....it was a strike....Dude had some wicked stuff....those were the days....

You mean the token 2-3 kids that have transferred out for the last 2 decades?

Tazewell had 3 dominant pitchers when I was playing. I hit 2 of them fairly well, could never hit Casey Herald. Closest I came was being on the wrong end of a "WVVA Play of the Day", when the Tazewell CF made a snow-coned diving catch.

Dylan Crouse who made honorable mention for Tazewell is Eddie's son--believe he may be a sophomore.

Ryan Hankins who made second team, his Dad, Donnie, was a good player for the Dawgs.

Tazewell had 3 dominant pitchers when I was playing. I hit 2 of them fairly well, could never hit Casey Herald. Closest I came was being on the wrong end of a "WVVA Play of the Day", when the Tazewell CF made a snow-coned diving catch.

Not many could hit Casey--when you needed a sure win he was the "go to" guy.

Life has many choices---eternity two