ESPNU College FB Top 150 prospects Class of 2012

Bishop McDevitt HS is in Harrisburg, just 30 minutes from me. That school's produced some MONSTER prospects over the years. Ricky Watters was the #1 recruit in the nation, from BMHS, back in the 80s. Might go watch Cumberland Valley-Bishop McDevitt this year to see that beast DE in action. Some VERY good HS football in south-central PA. Equivalent to AAA-6 football in VA.

Figured Hess might be on there...the guy from Brookville is though...figures.

I'd have been floored to have seen Hess on that list. He's definitely got the size, but his measurables aren't particularly good. Bench max is honestly very weak for a D-I caliber player. 40-yard time needs to be at least a half-second quicker. Shuttle could be .3-.4 seconds lower. There's a reason his two FCS offers are from FIU and Marshall...

Not saying he's not good, but ESPN Top 150 is almost funny.

I'd have been floored to have seen Hess on that list. He's definitely got the size, but his measurables aren't particularly good. Bench max is honestly very weak for a D-I caliber player. 40-yard time needs to be at least a half-second quicker. Shuttle could be .3-.4 seconds lower. There's a reason his two FCS offers are from FIU and Marshall...

Not saying he's not good, but ESPN Top 150 is almost funny.

He gets invited to all the top 100 combines and has every school in the south east and beyond looking at him...and he is a finalist for the Army All Star Game in TX this year...it's not that funny really.

He still has some room to grow and improve...I'll give you that...but, he's getting there...come a long way since I first saw him....and he has the right attitude. Pretty sure he has had other offers as well. 3.8+ GPA so far wont hurt either. Good kid.

He gets invited to all the top 100 combines and has every school in the south east and beyond looking at him...and he is a finalist for the Army All Star Game in TX this year...it's not that funny really.

He still has some room to grow and improve...I'll give you that...but, he's getting there...come a long way since I first saw him....and he has the right attitude. Pretty sure he has had other offers as well. 3.8+ GPA so far wont hurt either. Good kid.

Not saying he's not a good kid. The GPA made me smile, because you don't see just anyone with a 3.9 or better nowadays. From what I've seen, he's an exemplary member of the football team, both on the field and off. I wish every kid had similar off-the-field character and the desire to improve on-the-field.

But again, your desire to see a local talent do well is clouding your judgment as to the kid's abilities. I've done my research. His only two offers are from FIU and Marshall. It's not opinion or conjecture; it's fact. Don't take my word for it: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Josh-Hess-110277.

Now that I've given a citation, how about you give me your citations as to exactly what camps he's visited. Most of those "camps" are money-making schemes designed to accommodate as many kids as possible. Some camps are selective, very many of them are not; therefore, it is not as great an honor as you say to find a spot at said camp.

Also, if you could, please find me a citation as to Mr. Hess being a "finalist" for the Army All-American game. I can confirm that he is one of sixteen Virginia nominees to the game, but that in no way represents "finalist". While it is definitely an honor to be nominated, you surely do see the difference in terminology.

Again, Hess is an outstanding player. But Top 150, he is not, nor is he even close at this time. We're talking Top 150 in the whole U.S./Canada, not just on the eastern seaboard, or southern U.S., etc. There's always the chance (though remote at this time) he could get there, but it's going to take significant work to get his measurables to an elite level.

Not saying he's not a good kid. The GPA made me smile, because you don't see just anyone with a 3.9 or better nowadays. From what I've seen, he's an exemplary member of the football team, both on the field and off. I wish every kid had similar off-the-field character and the desire to improve on-the-field.

But again, your desire to see a local talent do well is clouding your judgment as to the kid's abilities. I've done my research. His only two offers are from FIU and Marshall. It's not opinion or conjecture; it's fact. Don't take my word for it: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Josh-Hess-110277.

Now that I've given a citation, how about you give me your citations as to exactly what camps he's visited. Most of those "camps" are money-making schemes designed to accommodate as many kids as possible. Some camps are selective, very many of them are not; therefore, it is not as great an honor as you say to find a spot at said camp.

Also, if you could, please find me a citation as to Mr. Hess being a "finalist" for the Army All-American game. I can confirm that he is one of sixteen Virginia nominees to the game, but that in no way represents "finalist". While it is definitely an honor to be nominated, you surely do see the difference in terminology.

Again, Hess is an outstanding player. But Top 150, he is not, nor is he even close at this time. We're talking Top 150 in the whole U.S./Canada, not just on the eastern seaboard, or southern U.S., etc. There's always the chance (though remote at this time) he could get there, but it's going to take significant work to get his measurables to an elite level.

he's been to several combines...not the kind you pay to attend, the kind you are invited to...i dont have a list, i'm just freinds with him on Facebook and I see his travels and visits to various schools...he was in Alabama not long ago and had some cool pics in the locker room and so on...I don't keep up with it that closely to tell you everything the kid does...I just know i've seen him at various combines here and there...there may be a list, I dont know and i'm not going looking for it...lol.

with the Army game he was a finalist for VA...again, dont have a link but it's true...and not going to look for one.

The kid from Brookville is on there...so, it wouldn't be a big shock if he was in the top 150...the kid is 6 foot 7 and 300 pounds...and is a 3 star kid as is...and a work in progress...he will get better as time goes by and has a good work ethic from what I hear...so, it's a list of "prospects"...he could very well be in the mix...a lot of college coaches know if you have a basic ability and a frame like that, a year or two in the program on a workout schedule you can easily build a monster out of a kid like that...there are not a lot of OL's that size...and that's something you can't coach.

anyway...all i said was i figured he might have made the list...you never know what these guys will come up with on any list...or what weight they give any stat or number...to say it's funny to think he could be on such a list is just sort of snide.

As far as offers, pretty sure I heard Duke offered and maybe UNC...might not be official yet...and might be wrong...just seems like i remember hearing that...i dunno. All I said was I am pretty sure there were a couple of others floating around out there. If he doesn't have any injury problems and doesnt get in any trouble off the field, i would expect him to have more offers by the end of the season.

you can say and think what you want, but the kid is a legit D1 prospect...to each his own opinion though.

Strange that the kid from Brookville is on there, granted it was only one game. but I personally watched in the Richlands game where he ended up being pretty much a non factor, I guess their overall level of competition helps him a lot tho ehh... :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

• 3 months later...
Guest StoneyCalhoun

Wow. Just wow to this thread. Went looking for UVA/Variable/myself and maybe a few others discussion on how recruits decide to go where and found this.

Good laugh to be had here on a night full of reading Kenneth Burke and the Grammar of Motives. Old habits die hard I see.

Guest The Variable

I think its funny that we are talking about "Josh Hess" and "that kid from Brookville". Hes got a name, I bet.

Guest StoneyCalhoun
I think its funny that we are talking about "Josh Hess" and "that kid from Brookville". Hes got a name, I bet.

Never heard of him. Honestly.

Guest StoneyCalhoun

I mean even though it looks like Nick Saban the HC of the NC wanted him, he was in most top 200 polls, and his press conference was watched by many, many people in 3 states...

I still have never heard of him. The Hess kid has to be better because he is from around here.

Josh Hess is good but nowhere near top 150.

He's ranked as the 31st-best player in the State of Virginia, a high 2* to low 3* in most services. Good enough to get Division I attention, absolutely! But yeah, that's not even remotely close to Top 150. This is what I tried to tell some particular people here earlier, to much headache.

I mean even though it looks like Nick Saban the HC of the NC wanted him, he was in most top 200 polls, and his press conference was watched by many, many people in 3 states...

I still have never heard of him. The Hess kid has to be better because he is from around here.

I don't know what to say about that, other than "follow recruiting more closely". LOL. Pretty interesting, too, from a guy who once scolded me and my knowledge of golf for not knowing who the 2nd-best golfer from the state of Kentucky was...

I've got a video of Kirven getting owned last year by a 5ft 11 inch guard. To say this young man wasn't ranked anywhere near the top 200. Which to me is why rankings are a fashion show. Give me a kid that's a 2 star but has the heart and the drive to be the best.

I don't know what to say about that, other than "follow recruiting more closely". LOL. Pretty interesting, too, from a guy who once scolded me and my knowledge of golf for not knowing who the 2nd-best golfer from the state of Kentucky was...

I think you're getting trolled, UVAO. :cool:

Point_over_your_head.jpg

JB Holmes? Kenny Perry? Those are definitely #1 and #2. I don't know which order.

JB Holmes? Kenny Perry? Those are definitely #1 and #2. I don't know which order.

LOL, those were the two up for debate. It was a nice little argument as to how good Holmes was.

Guest StoneyCalhoun
I think you're getting trolled, UVAO. :cool:

Point_over_your_head.jpg

I didn't think I could make my point any more obvious lol.