Grundy game tonight

short

this was one bad game for the rebels, those grundy boys were in great shape.i think they have several state wrestlers on that team and it showed. those guys never let up. they just kept coming all night long. they wore those big linemen of hurley down. they were gasping for air the whole night, the 43 kid didnt get stopped all night ,he is one tough kid. if those hurley boys are going to win any more games ,they better get themselves in some shape. if tester cant do any better than that then its time to turn it over to someone else. there is too much talent on that team to let your boys take a loss like that. they need more conditioning and it showed,and they play calling sucked too.

The 43 kid is Jake McCowan and he was out for the Lebanon game...and there was a hole the size of a truck to run through. They are a much better team with him in there.

the difference in this game and the previous two were the mistakes...Grundy made them the first 2 or 3 quarters in this game and the score showed it...in the 4th Qtr they finally got things rolling and came together.

I did think that Grundy made it pretty obvious that they were not going to let Berglowe beat them from the start. Hurley should have tried to get the ball to Waynick more, but it looked like the game plan was to run it down Grundys throat and thats what they stuck with.

Hurley was worn out at the end of the game, and Lebanon was worn out at the end of the game last week but Grundy just couldn't do anything with them...that's one thing about this years kids, they will play you hard from start to finish. I thought Coach Ward did a great job of getting people in and out to keep the kids fresh and I heard him telling them all to get water a lot to make sure they stayed hydrated...I think Grundy has got themselves a good one to take over for Rowe and company...I really like what I am seeing so far, especially considering all the drama leading up to two a days. In hindsight I think everyone thought Berglowe and Justus leaving, along with all the coaching changes, would rip what was left of the team apart, and it looks like so far that is what has brought them all together.

Every week i've seen the mistakes a young team makes going on, and every week they seem to be getting a little better...even in the loss to Lebanon I saw a lot of positive things that I liked and a lot of things that I thought were bad, but easy to fix...and they have learned from it and improved...that's really all you can ask of a young team...but, what I saw last night was something special...I was really proud of them for the effort they put out.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lance i dont think grundy will win another game they may beat haysi and thats all .. yelp the rebels did go to berglowe to much the line just didnt block you cant win if you dont block hurley gave it away cooper had the line over there trying to get them to block but they act like they didnt give a darn if they won or not good luck to both teams

lance i dont think grundy will win another game they may beat haysi and thats all .. yelp the rebels did go to berglowe to much the line just didnt block you cant win if you dont block hurley gave it away cooper had the line over there trying to get them to block but they act like they didnt give a darn if they won or not good luck to both teams

they might not, but they beat the hell out of Hurley....again.

and burn.....theyll get haysi,meadowbridge,mtview,east ridge and if they grow up enough maybe honaker every team has a game where some magic happens and no hurley faithful it wasnt a fluke

you listen to the Hurley folks talk the year is over with, so i guess they want to think Grundy's year is over with as well. We are just getting started, so you guys pick yourselves up and climb back on the bandwagon and move it on down the road...you still have a great RB in Berglowe and a solid QB in Cooper and an All State WR in Waynick...you take your lumps and you move on....a lot of football left to play still and I KNOW Church can whip those linemen in to shape...so stop with all the gloom and doom and enjoy what you have left of the season...I think Hurley will still be in the playoffs once it's all said and done.

My advice, use Waynick a LOT more than you did...Grundy was playing him soft last night and you could have hit him on 7 yard hooks all night long...and didn't.

Some of the Hurley fans are starting to sound as bad as Falconman, and Southbound about their team losing.

No kidding! Grundy lost last week and rebounded to beat a good Hurley team...like what was already stated I think they've got potential to win another 4-6 games if they play like they did in the second half...

Hurley isn't done yet, they can easily rebound just like Grundy did and hang a big win on someone next week...I look for Church and the linemen to watch A LOT of film and DO A LOT of work this week and I also look for Cooper, Waynick and Berglowe to be hungry to score LOTS of points next week...This may be a spring board for both teams, a good hard loss for Hurley to come off of and perform well and a big confidence booster for Grundy to put it all together and cut out the mistakes to win out or at least put at good 7 or 9 win season together...

Can't be any happier for an off week for Grundy though, McClanahan can rest up, Rife can work with his receivers, the linemen on both sides of the ball can get some good work in...And they get a week to enjoy the win and then another week to prepare for another opponent. Just a great time for an off week for Grundy in my opinion.

Lance you may agree or disagree but I honestly think with Ward playing college ball pretty recent and being from a younger generation he sees what the kids like and what the kids need better maybe. He knows how important hydration among other small things are from his own experience with his team at VMI as well as he knows how to motivate this young team because he is younger himself and knows them better (see their play after halftime and his halftime talk)...

i dont like off weeks unless you have some kids banged up and need to get them healthy, and grundy is usually slow starting after an off week...plus this was such an emotional win for the kids...i just hope they can keep the intensity up close to that level and keep making improvements on the mistakes. They still have a lot of work to do, but it's getting there.

I'm sure Ward's experience helps...I like what he's done so far...no complaints.

i dont like off weeks unless you have some kids banged up and need to get them healthy, and grundy is usually slow starting after an off week...plus this was such an emotional win for the kids...i just hope they can keep the intensity up close to that level and keep making improvements on the mistakes. They still have a lot of work to do, but it's getting there.

I'm sure Ward's experience helps...I like what he's done so far...no complaints.

was that their first district game?

was that their first district game?

has hurley and haysi played?

no grundy is 2-1 overall and 2-0 in the district. Hurley is 1-1 overall and 0-1 in the district.

Hurley and Haysi have not played.

you listen to the Hurley folks talk the year is over with, so i guess they want to think Grundy's year is over with as well. We are just getting started, so you guys pick yourselves up and climb back on the bandwagon and move it on down the road...you still have a great RB in Berglowe and a solid QB in Cooper and an All State WR in Waynick...you take your lumps and you move on....a lot of football left to play still and I KNOW Church can whip those linemen in to shape...so stop with all the gloom and doom and enjoy what you have left of the season...I think Hurley will still be in the playoffs once it's all said and done.

My advice, use Waynick a LOT more than you did...Grundy was playing him soft last night and you could have hit him on 7 yard hooks all night long...and didn't.

Hats off to Grundy's defensive line because he didnt eve have time to throw a hitch. Looked like they were trying to get him involved jsut didnt have the time. QB needs to look to someone besides waynick becasue they were given him a lot of attention

Hats off to Grundy's defensive line because he didnt eve have time to throw a hitch. Looked like they were trying to get him involved jsut didnt have the time. QB needs to look to someone besides waynick becasue they were given him a lot of attention

they shut the running game down also according to the paper.bergelowe 40 yds?

shotgun and a hook and you would have moved the ball well....grundy was playing 10-15 yards off of Waynick all night long. I saw it and was hoping Hurley wouldn't take advantage of it. They normally dont do that sort of thing, but I guess they wanted to keep him in front of them and try to turn him in towards the middle where they had help at FS?? I dunno what the thinking was exactly.

tides high for the wave.just have to whip the 2 different color tigers.which of those will cause any stink in the bdd?this would have been a good yr for grundy richlands game

Grundy is not on the same level as Richlands...not even close. Devon Johnson would run wild.

but i think after hes gone theyll decline for a year or two

thats like the Hurley folks saying they are going to beat Grundy...it's said every year, and never happens. Richlands has a strong program in place...they have depth and more depth...they measure their own teams by previous Richlands teams...not by other schools around here...that should be all you need to know.

shotgun and a hook and you would have moved the ball well....grundy was playing 10-15 yards off of Waynick all night long. I saw it and was hoping Hurley wouldn't take advantage of it. They normally dont do that sort of thing, but I guess they wanted to keep him in front of them and try to turn him in towards the middle where they had help at FS?? I dunno what the thinking was exactly.
I think they tried that in the scrimmages and the ervinton game and the center had it all over the place....thats proab the reason

thats like the Hurley folks saying they are going to beat Grundy...it's said every year, and never happens. Richlands has a strong program in place...they have depth and more depth...they measure their own teams by previous Richlands teams...not by other schools around here...that should be all you need to know.

Very well said...Richlands has a huge feeder system pumping kids in year after year that are quality. Similar to a college program without having to recruit, a good kid graduates and they've got a good one behind him ready to fill his shoes. It'll be a while before Richlands declines with their recent success. Making the playoffs year after year and having multiple trips to State Title games and a State Championship in the last 5 years makes young kids want to play football (hence their feeder program) and it makes kids want to play and play hard at the highschool level... What I'm getting at is I'm a big Grundy and SWVA supporter but Richlands football is about like Grundy wrestling...noone around here is in their league right now and don't let the win over Hurley confuse you to think it is...

a thing I love about Richlands is the schedule quality teams like Union and Pulaski county and that they let their back ups get reps, I think that goes a long way when a kid has played in 8 or 10 out of their 12 or 14 games and then that kid becomes the starter the next year...

yeah but id like to see the evil blue empire collapse before the wave with a 50 yard mutter field goal(yes he still accurate from there) eh now im dreaming next uva will win the acc

I dont know anyone from Grundy who wouldn't like to beat Richlands just once and then drop them lol...but, it's just not going to happen. I hate to see us not in the SWD, but I am both glad and sad that Richlands is not on the schedule this year.

I dont know anyone from Grundy who wouldn't like to beat Richlands just once and then drop them lol...but, it's just not going to happen. I hate to see us not in the SWD, but I am both glad and sad that Richlands is not on the schedule this year.

grundy coulda played with tazwell,graham,abingdon, not marion , or carroll, the swd was nice...but the bdd is shaping up nice this year i see grundy-honaker being a nice rivalry