All area coaches and fans need to read this!

phatbeaver

they do not want progress there it took many years just to get permission to place the first cell phone tower in bland county. it is mainly a farming county and that is how they want it. the biggest employer is the bland correctional center in the county.

This sort of thinking just makes me want to pull my hair out. SWVA should use Southern PA as a model of how to keep the agricultural/rural heritage of an area intact while still growing and prospering. Adams County, PA has the largest acreage of apple orchards east of the Mississippi, but still has thriving/growing boroughs such as Hanover and Gettysburg. Of course, Gettysburg doesn't really have to try that hard to be special for the obvious reasons, but that's another story.

This sort of thinking just makes me want to pull my hair out. SWVA should use Southern PA as a model of how to keep the agricultural/rural heritage of an area intact while still growing and prospering. Adams County, PA has the largest acreage of apple orchards east of the Mississippi, but still has thriving/growing boroughs such as Hanover and Gettysburg. Of course, Gettysburg doesn't really have to try that hard to be special for the obvious reasons, but that's another story.

i agree i have been thru that part of pa from gettysburg over the mtn and thru lancaster to hershey. but it is a mind set in bland from many years of wanting to be left alone. they did not want the interstate coming thru there either and it took some time to get that done. i think they are afraid for growth and progress and until this mindset is changed nothing will change in bland county.