Burton versus Union

wave316

Should be a great game.... Union needs a win in a big way...heard that Tyler Barker their strong fullback is injured with a seperated shoulder... They are playing at Union ... I think Burton wins this 30-21..

I say Union wins a close one, too much size for Union.

27-23

Speed wins over size..Crowder throws 2 tds and Burton scores a special teams td and the running backs get two scores:) Burton takes this one 30-20

Well its as simple as this. I talked with Barry Jones at the Union Gatecity game and he saidthese words, "football is simple. If you can block and tackle then you can win". Union has had some issues with blocking and tackling the past 4 games. If those issues arent addressed hard this week in practice then Burton will walk off with a win at Bullit Park plane and simple.

I was told today that Barker is out for the rest of the season, Union doesn't have much else. I expect Burton to win by at least 2 TD's. It has been a tough year for the Bears--they have some definite issues, time management is one of their biggest down falls. I saw them use 2 timeouts on the same play, there is no call for that.

Hope that Barker recovers well.

Raiders win!

I was told today that Barker is out for the rest of the season, Union doesn't have much else. I expect Burton to win by at least 2 TD's. It has been a tough year for the Bears--they have some definite issues, time management is one of their biggest down falls. I saw them use 2 timeouts on the same play, there is no call for that.

Hope that Barker recovers well.

Raiders win!

Well, looks like redtiger called it. Union won. Were down 20-0 and scored 26 unanswered points for the win.

Congrats to Union. I was conflicted on this pick, and went the wrong way. After Union almost beat Richlands, I was really high on Union, then they had a few games where it looked like they might have played over their heads vs the Blues. But last night proved they are a scrappy and resilient group of guys, and they can play with anyone. Good job.

Barker isn't gone for the year we might get him back Tuesday. Guess we will find out then.I got soak to the bone and was happy about it cause besides the RIchlands game last night one their 2nd best game they have played this year. Congrats Bears way to pull together!!!:D

The Raiders & Bears treated the fans at Bullitt Park to another hard fought & exciting game last Friday night. Keeping an amazing streak of close games for Union going, the contest entered the 4th quarter with JIB ahead 20 to 14 (I think the 4th quarters of the previous five Bear games have started with scores 14 to 7, 21 to 20, 22 to 21, 13 to 12, and 21 to 14!) The Bears prevailed by scoring two TDs in the final period for the victory; 26 to 20.

I thought Union's size and depth wore JIB down, and much like the Lee High game earlier in the season for the Bears, the Raiders and Generals appeared to be faster & more athletic but the Bears were big, strong, and, most importantly, deep. I've questioned Coach Turner's playing two platoons and so many different kids - and I'm not sure that at any point in the season he's put his eleven best football players on the turf at one time - but his approach did work out against Burton. I think the Raiders, like the Generals, just ran out of gas. This is no comment on effort, because JIB and Lee never quit trying they just seemed exhausted. I'll add that last week I saw a little of that in Gate City as the Bears spotted the Devils three TDs also - only to catch up and push them to their limit as well.

Just a note of interest - the Bears won without three seniors who have played key roles for the team and I think that was also possible because of team depth. For the first time this year, the offensive unit had more underclassmen than seniors.

The Raiders & Bears treated the fans at Bullitt Park to another hard fought & exciting game last Friday night. Keeping an amazing streak of close games for Union going, the contest entered the 4th quarter with JIB ahead 20 to 14 (I think the 4th quarters of the previous five Bear games have started with scores 14 to 7, 21 to 20, 22 to 21, 13 to 12, and 21 to 14!) The Bears prevailed by scoring two TDs in the final period for the victory; 26 to 20.

I thought Union's size and depth wore JIB down, and much like the Lee High game earlier in the season for the Bears, the Raiders and Generals appeared to be faster & more athletic but the Bears were big, strong, and, most importantly, deep. I've questioned Coach Turner's playing two platoons and so many different kids - and I'm not sure that at any point in the season he's put his eleven best football players on the turf at one time - but his approach did work out against Burton. I think the Raiders, like the Generals, just ran out of gas. This is no comment on effort, because JIB and Lee never quit trying they just seemed exhausted. I'll add that last week I saw a little of that in Gate City as the Bears spotted the Devils three TDs also - only to catch up and push them to their limit as well.

Just a note of interest - the Bears won without three seniors who have played key roles for the team and I think that was also possible because of team depth. For the first time this year, the offensive unit had more underclassmen than seniors.

The three seniors were who ,Barker ,Holcomb,and ???

If Union keeps playing the way they did against Burton, Richlands, Lee, Lebaon, and the first half of the clintwood game then yeah they can win some playoff games. If they play like they have in the other games and the last half of the Clintwood game then they will lose first round

TO UNIONFAN - I don't agree with, nor understand, your assessment of the Bears' game by game performances, but I do hope the Bears can win some more games before this season comes to a close. I think the play of the Bears has been amazingly consistent throughout the year; and they may have played their hardest & best in two games that they lost - to Richlands and Sullivan North. All games, win or lose, have been very very tight.

When Union hosted JIB, the Bears' record was 3-5 & the Raiders' record was 7-1. I believe had the two teams swapped schedules at the beginning of the season, the records prior to their match-up would have been exactly reversed. Who you play is always 50% of the factors that decide the games' outcomes and your team's record. I like to give credit to opponents when they play a great game - sometimes both teams play great but one has to lose. If coach Turner keeps the Bears playing the way they've played this regular season, they'll make most Union fans proud during the playoffs - 1 game or 5 games!