G.W. Danville may drop to Div. 4 AA

Bulldog 82

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, VHSL's comment was baffling, especially with Lee as the most obvious example.

What'a so baffling?

VHSL rules say that teams can NOT practice/play on Sundays, yet 2 NoVa Football teams practiced last Sunday, and we had playoff games on Sunday last year.

Sometimes, exceptions happen, but they are just that... EXCEPTIONS.

Most obvious? Ummm... what other examples exist?? Lee is the only 1 I can rem. happening.

-------------

So, I went to Yahoo maps and checked mileage/times from Abingdon to...

Grundy : 78 miles, 1h, 35 min

Bluefield : 73.5 m, 1h, 29 min

Hillsville : 85.6m, 1h, 25 min

Tazewell : 58 m, 1h, 08 min

Richlands : 46 m, 58 m

Roanoke : 133 m, 2h 10 m

Salem : 125 m, 2 h

B'burg : 110 m, 1h 47 m

C'burg : 99 m, 1h 36 min

Pulaski : 79 m, 1h, 18 min

looks like longer trips, but even the longest insn't as long as what the SWD has had in the past...

Grundy to Hillsville : 130 miles, 2h 26 min.

And Abingdon's ADM was 925 back in March.. not even close to being A sized, like Lee was, unless they had a massive drop over the Summer.

Can't say definately, but I think the birds will be in AA for a few more years.

Edited by VHSLhelper

What'a so baffling?

VHSL rules say that teams can NOT practice/play on Sundays, yet 2 NoVa Football teams practiced last Sunday, and we had playoff games on Sunday last year.

Sometimes, exceptions happen, but they are just that... EXCEPTIONS.

Most obvious? Ummm... what other examples exist?? Lee is the only 1 I can rem. happening.

-------------

So, I went to Yahoo maps and checked mileage/times from Abingdon to...

Grundy : 78 miles, 1h, 35 min

Bluefield : 73.5 m, 1h, 29 min

Hillsville : 85.6m, 1h, 25 min

Tazewell : 58 m, 1h, 08 min

Richlands : 46 m, 58 m

Roanoke : 133 m, 2h 10 m

Salem : 125 m, 2 h

B'burg : 110 m, 1h 47 m

C'burg : 99 m, 1h 36 min

Pulaski : 79 m, 1h, 18 min

looks like longer trips, but even the longest insn't as long as what the SWD has had in the past...

Grundy to Hillsville : 130 miles, 2h 26 min.

And Abingdon's ADM was 925 back in March.. not even close to being A sized, like Lee was, unless they had a massive drop over the Summer.

Can't say definately, but I think the birds will be in AA for a few more years.

Gas wasn't nearly $4 a gallon when Lee dropped....and schools weren't cutting their budgets to the bare-bone either....The VHSL can't force a school to stretch it's budget.....unless they'd like for schools to start dropping some of the lesser profile sports.... Besides, you can't just change a school's schedule entirely and get rid of their natural rivalries that are nearby....that affects the gate....which also affects $$ available to take these long trips.... Besides, who the heck would like to see Salem drive all the way to Abingdon to watch a butt whipping (or vice versa)....not me.....and probably not anybody from either school....That would be ridiculous and would be punitive to all schools involved.....and if the VHSL wants to keep things at a competitive level....then dropping Abingdon to single A makes the most sense...because they surely aren't competitive at the AA level now....that argument makes absolutely no sense at all.

Edited by futbolking

If the VHSL drops Abingdon they would set a precedent that would open a whole can of worms. The Roanoke City schools would insist on the same treatment and so would everybody else. The best solution for Abingdon would be for the Washington County school board to modify the attendance zones or ban kids who don't live in the Abingdon attendance zone from going there. A few years ago a friend told me Abingdon was crowded- if this is still the case- they have a perfect excuse to reduce school size.

I've said that about Richlands for about 4 years now... the TCSB coulda/shoulda moved the line up arounding Pounding Thrill a mile or 2 & all 3 schools (plus Grundy) coulda moved the SWD into Reg. D in 1 fell swoop. Instead, they let things remain, and Graham, Tazewell & Grundy are in diff. Regions now.

...and if the VHSL wants to keep things at a competitive level....then dropping Abingdon to single A makes the most sense...because they surely aren't competitive at the AA level now....that argument makes absolutely no sense at all.

Where did that come from??? If that were true, neither Gretna nor William Campbell would've been allowed to go from AA to A in the Dogwood, esp. with prev.-record-losing-streak-holder Altavista.

And Grundy wouldn't be wrestling in Region D now, either.

It's all about the ADM's, and Abingdon's is too high to be in A.