VHSL to Form New District

Bulldog 82

i'm not talking fb - I mean ALL sports.

Take Grundy, for example. What "good" did it do for us to drop? What are we going to suddenly become powerful at? We're not going to go out and win a state and 4 Regionals all of a sudden. Wrestling will be a top 2 instead of a top 5. We might make some noise in boys b'ball. Football got better because we dropped Richlands & Carroll? That helped, but there's more to it.

In return, how much less $$$ did we make at the gate in fb, and what effect does that have across the whole ath. dept.?

I'm not saying we should've dropped, or that Mart. shouldn't, but you've got to do more than just look at the numbers and say "let's drop because we can". On the other hand, dropping may cause the new districts plan to be tossed, which would be to everyone's benefit in that area, and they can alway decide to move back to AA in the next cycle.

Soooo much stuff involved.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im looking at it from a purely on field/court point of view. Against schools of similar size your teams will be more competitive, on average you will have better seasons. Playoffs and gate money arent what its all about(although both are a big part). I would want my school to compete in a district/group where they could compete and be successful. Sure you want big gates(thats good for the entire ath. dept.) but at what cost?

Using Grundy as an example. This Football season was a good one for them, solid record and were generally competitive. In the SWD it would have been another terrible season, with a beating by Richlands and losses to CC, Abingdon and Marion(?). Which was better for the players A/BDD or AA/SWD?

It would be worse for Martinsville who would be playing MUCH larger schools.

I just used football because thats what I know more about lol

I understand not droping "just because you can" but I dont understand playing against a stacked deck either