galax vs clintwood

fridaynightfun

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can he throw the ball pretty good?i think they will need to.

he actually has a really good arm, not as quick or mobile as his bro...but he can throw the ball. he has managed the games well since takin' over in the GW game. he's a smart, calm and collected kid...he knows what his role is and the team has confidence in him. his bro is now a coach...at home and on the sideline.

he actually has a really good arm, not as quick or mobile as his bro...but he can throw the ball. he has managed the games well since takin' over in the GW game. he's a smart, calm and collected kid...he knows what his role is and the team has confidence in him. his bro is now a coach...at home and on the sideline.

sounds good and good luck.i think clintwood can win if they focus and put some heart into it.

i really didnt see much out of 45 against honaker.he was one of several weapons but nothin special.

Like I said I just watched the video but it seems as though their running game follows him, the leads and counters were behind him.

I agree with you about CW. I don't think they will just "lay down" either. Just posting a comment that was made. I just look at the people who are saying that as some of those over-excited fans who make comments without really thinking. There's a few in every crowd wherever you go. :p

That's fair. There are some in every crowd at every school....and we all hate to see those knuckleheads. I must admit, there have been a few that are downright hilarious though...just not enough of them to outnumber the bad sports, crybabies and pure fools.

I'll be shunned by friends and co-workers, but I'm thinking of sitting on the Clintwood side at the game Saturday.

WOW that was a surprise Blue_Devil94. Love that MED support. I guess that rivalry and loss this year still stinging. I can tell you if Grayson was still in it the Galax folks would be behind you. Guess that rivalry I picked up on in your earlier post is deep seeded.

WOW that was a surprise Blue_Devil94. Love that MED support. I guess that rivalry and loss this year still stinging. I can tell you if Grayson was still in it the Galax folks would be behind you. Guess that rivalry I picked up on in your earlier post is deep seeded.

The rivalry doesn't really bother me that much, I'm actually kinda neutral in this game. The friend I'm attending the game with will be siding with Clintwood, as he utterly detests Galax (he really takes the Galax/GC rivalry personally). Me, I'm happy for both teams. I'll be there just to enjoy the game.

atricle galax-wave (valley sports now.)

Nicely done:

By Craig Worrell/Galax Gazette

Friday, December 09 2011 00:00

Don’t call this a battle of speed vs. size. Such an oversimplification would be an insult to the players and the coaches of both teams involved.

Nobody disputes the fact that Galax has plenty of speed. But the Maroon Tide (14-0) would not be playing in the Group A Division 1 championship game if it weren’t a physical football team.

It’s abundantly obvious that Clintwood is big and strong. But the Greenwave (12-2) would never have made it to face Galax on Saturday at Salem if its players weren’t nimble enough to keep up with and contain teams like George Wythe and Sussex Central.

Nope, this is much more than that. This state championship will be settled between two solid, athletic, well-coached, well-rounded football teams. One just happens to be bigger than it is fast, and the other happens to be faster than it is big.

“There are two misconceptions, I think,†said Galax coach Mark Dixon. “Number one is that they don’t have speed, and number two is that you can wear us down. Those are the two things that I hear that I think are the most erroneous. They’re not going to wear us down and we’re not going to outrun them. I don’t see either thing happening. I think we’ll hang in there fine and I think they can cover anything we do. It’ll just come down to who plays better. Who executes better.â€

Galax is still looking for its first challenge after four postseason cakewalks. The 222 points that the Maroon Tide has scored in the playoffs are 80 more than its defense has allowed in 14 games combined. Dixon fully expects a challenge from Clintwood.

“The thing that strikes me first is how good they are defensively,†he said. “From reading about them I assumed that we’d be able to throw the ball, but it just doesn’t look like it’s there. They have good enough speed, especially at the corners, to cover our guys. And I don’t think it’s realistic to think we can pound it at them 25 or 30 times and average enough per run to keep their offense off the field.â€

Galax has been able to do both effectively the entire year. Tailback Jordan Vaughan enters with 1,429 yards and 26 touchdowns, followed by the Peoples brothers, both of whom average more than 10 yards per carry. Donte, a junior, has 823 yards and 14 TDs, and sophomore Steven has 790 yards and 11 scores in 12 games.

Austin Pack has thrown for 1,359 yards and 19 touchdowns against just five interceptions, and top target Deion George has 35 catches for 767 yards and 14 TDs. The two hooked up four times for 123 yards and three touchdowns in last week’s state semifinal win over Lunenburg Central.

“They’re athletic and they do a lot of things very well,†Clintwood coach Rick Mullins said. “They’re fundamentally sound and it will be a challenge. Offensively they can attack a lot of different areas. You can’t load up on one thing.â€

In a way, that’s one of Dixon’s biggest concerns. He doesn’t see Clintwood needing to load the box against the stable of talented tailbacks, thus allowing more coverage against the pass.

“I keep looking for an area to attack, but he’s such a good coach,†Dixon said. “He has his defense set up where his personnel matches up well. Any area you think you can go he’ll have somebody behind him who’s a stud.â€

Dixon expressed the need to find creativity without sending his kids the wrong message by abandoning what has worked 14 straight games.

“I’ve got to have faith in our boys, and I do,†he said. “But there does have to be some gameplan things done because some of their boys are so big and strong that it would be foolish to think we can line up and run our basic offense.â€

There is one aspect of Saturday’s game that is in Galax’s favor. The Greenwave opened the season with a loss to Hazard, Ky., which won the Kentucky 1A state championship last week. So Clintwood is already 0-1 on the year against teams coached by a Mark Dixon.

Dixon (the Galax one) expects his group of veterans to be able to handle the spotlight Saturday. It is he who is feeling it.

“I feel more pressure here than at any level I’ve ever played,†said the former Miami Dolphin. “I feel responsible for kids who have given me everything they have for two years, every day. There’s a ton of pressure not to let them down. I owe them the best I’ve got this Saturday.â€

“There are two misconceptions, I think,” said Galax coach Mark Dixon. “Number one is that they don’t have speed, and number two is that you can wear us down. Those are the two things that I hear that I think are the most erroneous. They’re not going to wear us down and we’re not going to outrun them. I don’t see either thing happening. I think we’ll hang in there fine and I think they can cover anything we do."

I think he is in for a rude awakening. But, just my opinion.

Vapreps article

Galax knows exactly what's coming for them in the Division 1 state championship game versus giant killer Clintwood Green Wave. Well, the Green Wave have been the giants on the field. With a punishing rushing attack they has taken out George Wythe and Sussex Central, Clintwood will now try to survive against the team many inked in for this game since late September.

By Mark Robertson

Gavan Meade is key on both sides of the ball for Clintwood

Galax has made their march to Salem look like a walk in the park. Saturday however should be nothing as such as Clintwood's defense has raised to the occasion in the playoffs stopping two previous high scoring teams and now face their 3rd straight high powered offense. The Maroon Tide will be the ultimate test for the Green Wave who will have to be ready for a deep pass or a gamebreaking run at any moment.

Running backs Donte Peoples and Jordan Vaughan will need to put their best performances on the field to keep the Galax offensive attack balanced and unpredictable. Central Lunenburg found out when you load the box the Maroon Tide won't hesitate to hit Deion George who has the speed to run away from defenders.

Galax running back Jordan Vaughn

Quarterback Austin Pack has benefited throughout the season with defenses picking their poison. Pack's front line will get a major workout and will have to allow him enough time to handle the different looks the Green Wave can give defensively.

Last week Clintwood took away Sussex Central's top receiver by doubling and even sending a third player to help out on the coverage. The plan worked well and derailed the passing game of the Tigers that had not been needed in previous playoff contests. Will they be successful against the Tide?

Another question is can Galax's defense hold up against Austin Dotson, Robbie Mullins, and Gavan Meade from controlling the clock and tiring their defenders. Dotson is the emotional leader not avoiding any contact and ready to rally the troops.

DECIDING FACTORS:

Both teams want badly to end the season with the Division 1 state title but someone has to lose. The biggest factor will be if the Galax offensive line can handle the Green Wave front led by Austin Kelly. Kelly is very mobile for being 6-foot-7 and 325 pounds and is catching the eye of several scouts. If he can continue his impressive play then its possible that everything the Maroon Tide does can be dramatically altered. It will be crucial for Galax's Darius Brown and Woody Dixon lead their line to help get Vaughan and Peoples going and keep Pack protected.

SPEED vs. POWER

After seeing what Clintwood did in their previous games versus teams with plenty of speed, Galax knows they must to turn things up to exploit that advantage. The determining factor will be the play calling and how it can keep the Green Wave from focusing on any particular aspect of Galax's offense. For this to work however Galax must be able to establish the run early or the passing game will struggle. Most importantly they have to get points early. Clintwood's offense isn't built to come back more than a couple of scores. Taking the Wave out of their gameplan would definitely shift things in favor of the Tide.

The power of Clintwood will take its toll come the 2nd half as usual. How much damage will be done by then is the question? Coach Rick Mullins' squad is superb at halftime adjustments and taking away any first half success like it never existed. Tanner and Nathaniel Mullins defending the edge on defense will play a big part as the Maroon Tide will try to focus on getting to the outside more if they can't have success up the middle. Offensively, will be how soon can the Clintwood backfield establish more than 3 yards per carry. The sooner they can do that then expect the offensive possessions of Galax to be down drastically swinging momentum in favor of the Wave.

AREAS OF CONCERN

For Galax it will be time. How many times they get the ball. How much time Pack will have to find his favorite targets? Pack has only thrown 4 interceptions this season and will likely face two deep safeties if the Green Wave defensive line can do their job. This means George will likely have no less than two defenders on him. Another area of concern will be how many times Dalton Dahley get to make big plays. Last week in his first start he over threw several wide open receivers that became that way after the defense was drawn in by play-action. You can be sure Dahley won't make the same mistakes two weeks in a row.

Controlling the game pace will be Clintwood's concern. Several three and outs early might put them in a position that they can't recover from meaning they need to try to avoid a slow start. The Maroon Tide runs a lot of motion they could reveal a lot of Clintwood's attentions defensively. Taking advantage of a blitz will be big because if the Green Wave can't get to Pack then expect little dump offs to go the distance. Special team play could be an issue as well. Too many times last week the opposition was one defender away from going the distance. Galax blocks very well on their return teams and if George, Peoples, or Jacob Fisher get any daylight it will be six.

BOTTOMLINE

Coach Mark Dixon of Galax has certainly learned some things over this week in evaluating Clintwood and the best way to attack the rushing attack. If Galax can't stop the downhill running of the Green Wave early then they will be in major trouble. If defenders are avoiding meeting the monster fullback Dotson in the hole then it will be a tough afternoon. The game will be decided at the line of scrimmage and thats where the Green Wave has the glowing advantage.

ADVANTAGES (key player):

QUARTERBACK (GALAX- Austin Pack)

RUNNING BACKS (CLINTWOOD- Gavan Meade)

RECEIVERS (GALAX- Deion George)

OFFENSIVE LINE (CLINTWOOD- Tyler Childress)

DEFENSIVE LINE (CLINTWOOD- Austin Kelly)

LINEBACKERS (CLINTWOOD- Austin Dotson)

SECONDARY (GALAX- Devonte McKinney)

SPECIAL TEAMS (GALAX- Jacob Fisher)

PREDICTION: Clintwood 24 Galax 20

“There are two misconceptions, I think,†said Galax coach Mark Dixon. “Number one is that they don’t have speed, and number two is that you can wear us down. Those are the two things that I hear that I think are the most erroneous. They’re not going to wear us down and we’re not going to outrun them. I don’t see either thing happening. I think we’ll hang in there fine and I think they can cover anything we do."

I think he is in for a rude awakening. But, just my opinion.

I think your drinking too much green kool-aid. A beat down is coming...........

Grundy gave Clintwood hell for about a quarter and a half...then i watched them just suck the life out of them...if you think hitting and getting hit by those big boys for 4 qtrs doesn't take a toll on a smaller team....you find out the hard way. Galax may even score a few early and get up on them beyond what Clintwood can score to come back...who knows...but by the end of the game those boys will worn out...to think otherwise is a bit naive to say the least.