Computer Geeks... Get in this thread:

I am looking at getting a new laptop in the near future. I run a standard Dell, had it for 5+ years and it's still in good shape. Though it did shut off on me randomly last night and wouldn't turn on for a few minutes. While I'm too lazy to troubleshoot it, I'm pretty sure it just overheated. This isn't a deal breaker for my Dell, I've been looking to add another computer to my weaponry for sometime now.

The main point of this thread is this:

I am thinking seriously about buying a Lenovo computer as my next one. I only know a few people who have them, but they love them. Lenovo is the old IBM and the reviews out there are all great basically. Lots of colleges/universities issue Lenovo's to incoming students because they are a quality computer. Thoughts?

A few minor points:

1) I am a fan of Dell and have been brand loyal up to this point.

2) I am a fan of Apple products but a) don't feel like spending $1000+ on a computer right now and b) I would like to know how to operate it. I can do anything on a PC and I like to feel smarter than my computer.

3) If you feel strongly about a particular computer (Mac or PC), here is your chance to persuade me.

Lenovo is as you stated, is an IBM box. IBM got out of the PC hardware business and sold it to the Chinese company Lenovo. IBM still own's something like 20% of that hardware company. Most of the hardware PC manufacturers are OK. If you can get a good price and upgrade the warranty you can't go wrong.

As far as the Apple business goes, they are good computers and I like their operating systems. Unless you have someone that can give you some help/pointers for the Apple it can be frustrating. Their cost is the biggest reason I would not buy one but I do own both types for different reasons.

Edited by sportsfan

I am thinking seriously about buying a Lenovo computer as my next one. .

Would be a very good choice. Lenovo computers are very reliable (life wise) and they have recently been introduced to many retail stores.

Not a fan. As a certified technician for the past 2 years i've noticed that atleast 70-75% of the computers brought in for us to fix are DELL

However, my mom really enjoys her Dell laptop. It's hard to tell what your really getting when you buy a computer anymore. Hell, they can last for 10 years or they can last for 2 days.

2) I am a fan of Apple products but a) don't feel like spending $1000+ on a computer right now and b) I would like to know how to operate it. I can do anything on a PC and I like to feel smarter than my computer.

I'm the same way. I would love to purchase a Macbook Pro, however the $1000+ price tag keeps me away. I understand what you mean on how to operate it. I was confused as hell when I first messed with one, but after a few hours you get the hang of it.

3) If you feel strongly about a particular computer (Mac or PC), here is your chance to persuade me.

I prefer Mac, but honestly, it's all about what you're using it for. I've sold computers for the past 3 years of my life, and for the majority of the customers I would NOT recommend a Mac. Why? Mainly because it seems like 80% of them are only using it for browsing the internet, downloading music, and storing pictures. There's no reason for me to recommend a $1200 laptop to these types of customers, they don't need it. Plus they would be utterly confused on how to use it.

I'll be enjoying my PC for the next year, but when time for grad school arrives, I'll be upgrading to a MacBook Pro.

As for which one you should get, that's up to you brother. Just ask yourself what your really going to be using it for, and if you think spending twice the $$ on one is worth it.

good luck with that my friend. Can you throw me a discount in for one if I purchase it? Lol

lol no. It's taking me a year to save up the money and time to build this thing, it will probably be obsolete by the time it gets built.

lol no. It's taking me a year to save up the money and time to build this thing, it will probably be obsolete by the time it gets built.

How big is it going to be? Big? Small? Average? How many GB's are you going to put in it? Haha you probably don't have all this stuff figured out yet.....

How big is it going to be? Big? Small? Average? How many GB's are you going to put in it? Haha you probably don't have all this stuff figured out yet.....

I've already bought some of the components.

500GB, But I have a TB external so space isn't an issue. I have 8GB of ram ready for it, that should be enough for what I do.. it could power a small moose. I have a pretty sweet sound card, a power supply, an optical drive, and a case for now. Still need the CPU, Mommyboard, sweet monitor, etc. Oh, and an OS.. maybe Hokie07 could help me out there..

Here's what the case looks like:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4631382

Plagiarism..... The case has already been thought of andyou are making some alterations to it to keep it......

I'm not making any alterations to it besides filling it full of computing goodness and maybe spray painting a big Earnhardt "3" on the side.

I'm not making any alterations to it besides filling it full of computing goodness and maybe spray painting a big Earnhardt "3" on the side.

And 500 GB's? My Acer emachines is holding only 160 GB's. It's a multi in one card reader and super multi DL drive..... Very easy to use. Good luck deuces....

I am looking at getting a new laptop in the near future. I run a standard Dell, had it for 5+ years and it's still in good shape. Though it did shut off on me randomly last night and wouldn't turn on for a few minutes. While I'm too lazy to troubleshoot it, I'm pretty sure it just overheated. This isn't a deal breaker for my Dell, I've been looking to add another computer to my weaponry for sometime now.

The main point of this thread is this:

I am thinking seriously about buying a Lenovo computer as my next one. I only know a few people who have them, but they love them. Lenovo is the old IBM and the reviews out there are all great basically. Lots of colleges/universities issue Lenovo's to incoming students because they are a quality computer. Thoughts?

A few minor points:

My first laptop was a Compaq and I loved it. Battle used to use nothing but Compaqs because we never had any trouble out of them and our computer people could upgrade them easily (went to Dells because they're cheaper). My new laptop is a Compaq, but I think HP owns Compaq now and just uses the name, or so I've been told. I know it has something to do with HP, so I would recommend an HP/Compaq laptop. Mine was $350 with warranty and does everything I need and a little more. Big screen, lots of options, easy to use. I don't know anything about Lenovo, so I can't say anything about that, but it's just up to you to check out the stats of whatever you're looking at and get what suits whatever you do with a computer. I don't know how much help it will be, but here's a sight I found that helps you find the computer you're looking for: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/pcs.aspx?brandname=lenovo&category=all&CMXID=ef_sem&semid=ef_BNG_new2pq9klu7w2x6lewi027443f50h6zq21727&WT.srch=1&category=PC_Scout&ef_id=DihOJkuHeGgAAAK9:20111208015608:s

Edited by ThomasDenton

Guest The Variable
I know nothing about what you're talking about. But I am building my own gaming computer. I'm going to call it the...

Super_Deuces2012

Built mine. Spent $800 for a rig that can beat a $3600 Alienware.

BTW I bought an Alienware laptop. CRAP.

To the original poster:

Whatever you get, don't pay more than ~$500 for it.

The video card fried on my old dell last year, I paid 2000 for the computer when I bought it July of 2007. It lasted me about 3 years.

I got a $400 HP for Christmas last year and it is significantly better than the dell I bought 3 years prior (specs wise).

Just get something with at least 2GB of RAM, Windows 7, and run Chrome browser on it.

You will get at least 3 years out of it and when it runs out of juice you can get a better laptop for even cheaper.

Wow, thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate it all. Just wish the deuceswild special computer was sold retail because I'd have my computer problems solved...

Lenovo is as you stated, is an IBM box. IBM got out of the PC hardware business and sold it to the Chinese company Lenovo. IBM still own's something like 20% of that hardware company. Most of the hardware PC manufacturers are OK. If you can get a good price and upgrade the warranty you can't go wrong.

As far as the Apple business goes, they are good computers and I like their operating systems. Unless you have someone that can give you some help/pointers for the Apple it can be frustrating. Their cost is the biggest reason I would not buy one but I do own both types for different reasons.

Thanks. You pretty much confirmed what I had already heard about Lenovo's, sportsfan. Glad I heard it correctly. I am an Apple fan (iPhone and iPod user, want an iPad just because...), just no Mac. I love the Apple iOS, but I can't justify spending that kind of money on a computer that I won't fully use all its capabilities. All I do is school work, browse the internet, and download torrents (which I save to an external). I do more on it, but it's obviously nothing too important if I can't remember it off the top of my head.

Would be a very good choice. Lenovo computers are very reliable (life wise) and they have recently been introduced to many retail stores.

Not a fan. As a certified technician for the past 2 years i've noticed that atleast 70-75% of the computers brought in for us to fix are DELL

However, my mom really enjoys her Dell laptop. It's hard to tell what your really getting when you buy a computer anymore. Hell, they can last for 10 years or they can last for 2 days.

I'm the same way. I would love to purchase a Macbook Pro, however the $1000+ price tag keeps me away. I understand what you mean on how to operate it. I was confused as hell when I first messed with one, but after a few hours you get the hang of it.

I prefer Mac, but honestly, it's all about what you're using it for. I've sold computers for the past 3 years of my life, and for the majority of the customers I would NOT recommend a Mac. Why? Mainly because it seems like 80% of them are only using it for browsing the internet, downloading music, and storing pictures. There's no reason for me to recommend a $1200 laptop to these types of customers, they don't need it. Plus they would be utterly confused on how to use it.

I'll be enjoying my PC for the next year, but when time for grad school arrives, I'll be upgrading to a MacBook Pro.

As for which one you should get, that's up to you brother. Just ask yourself what your really going to be using it for, and if you think spending twice the $$ on one is worth it.

Appreciate the advice, beaverbaseball. I totally forgot you are in the computer biz now. If you get any type of kick back for sales, let me know and I'll see if I can't buy one through you and help a brother out.

A bit of counter advice I offer to you regarding grad school and Macs. Research your program and see if MacBooks are necessary and/or compatible for your graduate program. I know a kid who bought a MacBook before he went to get his MBA and he ended up either firing up his old computer or doing his work in the library all the time because his Mac wasn't compatible with the PC programs and documents that the class was working on (i.e. Office for Mac and Office for PC are different and lots of Excel files and others aren't compatible one way vs. the other).

Like I said, this was an MBA program and Macs aren't considered real "business savvy" computers, even though all the Fox News anchors use them. Just be careful and research it is all I'm saying. If a Mac works and makes you happy, go for it.

My first laptop was a Compaq and I loved it. Battle used to use nothing but Compaqs because we never had any trouble out of them and our computer people could upgrade them easily (went to Dells because they're cheaper). My new laptop is a Compaq, but I think HP owns Compaq now and just uses the name, or so I've been told. I know it has something to do with HP, so I would recommend an HP/Compaq laptop. Mine was $350 with warranty and does everything I need and a little more. Big screen, lots of options, easy to use. I don't know anything about Lenovo, so I can't say anything about that, but it's just up to you to check out the stats of whatever you're looking at and get what suits whatever you do with a computer. I don't know how much help it will be, but here's a sight I found that helps you find the computer you're looking for: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/pcs.aspx?brandname=lenovo&category=all&CMXID=ef_sem&semid=ef_BNG_new2pq9klu7w2x6lewi027443f50h6zq21727&WT.srch=1&category=PC_Scout&ef_id=DihOJkuHeGgAAAK9:20111208015608:s

I appreciate the advice ThomasDenton. My parents recently got a new HP and it is smooth. I was never impressed with them until I played on theirs for a little while and I'm a believer now. I am going to research those too and, ultimately, whatever is a good price for what I'm getting will be what I settle on.

To the original poster:

Whatever you get, don't pay more than ~$500 for it.

The video card fried on my old dell last year, I paid 2000 for the computer when I bought it July of 2007. It lasted me about 3 years.

I got a $400 HP for Christmas last year and it is significantly better than the dell I bought 3 years prior (specs wise).

Just get something with at least 2GB of RAM, Windows 7, and run Chrome browser on it.

You will get at least 3 years out of it and when it runs out of juice you can get a better laptop for even cheaper.

Yeah, I know what you mean about your Dell. I had a ton of friends that had the same thing happen to their Dell. Luckily, I got my Dell almost exactly when you did and it's treated me fine so far. I've gone through a new battery and a new charger, but it is still fairly fast. Granted I have reformatted it several times and keep all my data on an external, it runs pretty smooth now. I have a video driver that stops responding when I try to stream long or live video feeds (i.e. sports), but it recovers. Annoying but nothing crazy. Vista sucks too. I bought a version of Windows 7 to reinstall online last year, but bought the wrong bit and got too pissed off to do anything about it. Vista sucks, but not to the point where I can't handle it anymore.

I am almost to the point of completely converting to Chrome right now. I have been Firefox forever, but the crashes and all the BS that is coming with it right now is getting ridiculous. Not a fan of Google and right now I am too stubborn to give into them.

I can get a Lenovo right now for $300-400 with everything you named, plus more, and I think I'm going to go with it. Either Santa will bring me one or I'll buy one with Santa's money.