Our tax dollars at work in North Carolina schools.

bhs7695

http://myfox8.com/2012/02/14/nc-preschooler-fed-nuggets-because-packed-lunch-wasnt-healthy/

NC preschooler’s “unhealthy†lunch replaced with cafeteria nuggets

3:12 pm, February 14, 2012, by Ryan Sullivan

RAEFORD, N.C. — A Hoke County preschooler was fed chicken nuggets for lunch because a state worker felt that her homemade lunch did not have enough nutritional value, according to a report by the Carolina Journal.

The West Hoke Elementary School student was in her More at Four classroom when a state employee who was inspecting lunch boxes decided that her packed lunch — which consisted of a turkey and cheese sandwich, a banana, apple juice and potato chips — “did not meet U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines,†the Journal reports.

The decision was made under consideration of a regulation put in place by the the Division of Child Development and Early Education at the Department of Health and Human Services, which requires all lunches served in pre-kindergarten programs to meet USDA guidelines.

“When home-packed lunches do not include all of the required items, child care providers must supplement them with the missing ones,†the Journal reports.

The student’s mother told the Journal she received a note from the school about the incident and was charged $1.25 for the cafeteria tray, from which her daughter ate three chicken nuggets.

The note explained how students who did not bring “healthy lunches†would be offered the missing portions and that parents could be charged for the cost of the cafeteria food, the Journal reports.

The mother, who was not identified in the report, expressed concerns about school officials telling her daughter that she wasn’t “packing her lunch box properly.â€

The West Hoke Elementary School student was in her More at Four classroom when a state employee who was inspecting lunch boxes decided that her packed lunch — which consisted of a turkey and cheese sandwich, a banana, apple juice and potato chips — “did not meet U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines,†the Journal reports.

That was replaced with some sort of fried chicken product?

Dear Society,

It's been a good run, but I feel like we're about at the end of the road. The sheer lack of common sense combined with everyone thinking they're right about everything has led me to believe that we're on an irreversible path toward destruction.

Let's just remember the many good times.

Sincerely,

Legend11

What in the world was she missing from her apparently lacking lunch? I mean, she covered the meats (turkey), dairy (cheese), bread, fruit (banana and juice), and technically vegetables (chips). So they think she didn't have enough meat or something? Though, chicken nuggets are more or less the ground up leftovers of chicken after all the good stuff is cut out.

If this happened with my daughter someone would be having a bad evening when I heard about it, it's crazy, and those school lunches are garbage anyways, specially the chicken nuggets, they are one of the few things we prefer our kids not eat that the school serves.

Just another example of the top down, govt. knows best philosophy, that so many are now embracing.

BTW, several new changes will be coming to school lunches statewide in Virginia, not to mention nationwide.

Some changes include.

1. Only 1 serving of any type of potato once per week, in other words if you have fries on Monday, no other serving of potato the rest of the week.

2. More fruits and vegetables must be served, this will be much more expensive and will create some issues with school lunch budgets, no doubt about it fruits and veggies are good for you, but......

3. Skim milk only, no more whole milk, no more 2% milk

4. More USDA food products, less alternative products, don't know if you ever eaten any Gubment food lately, a percentage is served in public schools annually, but most of it is horrible......

5. Fruits and juices as alternatives, already doing that, no too mention a heavy push on water sales. Probably due to the high profitability of water sales, to help offset the more expensive fruits and veggies

6. No more salt as an option, pepper will remain!

7. Still a debate on the types of salad dressings as of right now, but it is believed to be low fat only options.

Just some food for thought, no pun intended!

Just another example of the top down, govt. knows best philosophy, that so many are now embracing.

BTW, several new changes will be coming to school lunches statewide in Virginia, not to mention nationwide.

Some changes include.

1. Only 1 serving of any type of potato once per week, in other words if you have fries on Monday, no other serving of potato the rest of the week.

2. More fruits and vegetables must be served, this will be much more expensive and will create some issues with school lunch budgets, no doubt about it fruits and veggies are good for you, but......

3. Skim milk only, no more whole milk, no more 2% milk

4. More USDA food products, less alternative products, don't know if you ever eaten any Gubment food lately, a percentage is served in public schools annually, but most of it is horrible......

5. Fruits and juices as alternatives, already doing that, no too mention a heavy push on water sales. Probably due to the high profitability of water sales, to help offset the more expensive fruits and veggies

6. No more salt as an option, pepper will remain!

7. Still a debate on the types of salad dressings as of right now, but it is believed to be low fat only options.

Just some food for thought, no pun intended!

Good for these changes that are probably 30 years overdue. I still have a big concern in that how many kids will actually eat the healthy choices if they are served on their trays? I remember when I was in elementary school in the mid 80's, on days that whole apples were served, most kids just threw them away without taking a bite.

Why skim milk? Is 2% and whole not healthy enough?

2% and whole has a little bit more fat in it than skim.

Do they still serve chocolate milk or other flavored milks? Because the sugar content in those is far far far worse for people than whole and 2% milk.

2% and whole has a little bit more fat in it than skim.

Do they still serve chocolate milk or other flavored milks? Because the sugar content in those is far far far worse for people than whole and 2% milk.

So they don't want to serve 2% or whole even though it says "fat free"? I'm so confused.....then again, I'm no dairy farmer and don't even know what skim milk really is exactly. I think it's good to push more fresh fruits and veggies, and even more juice and water to drink as an alternate to milk, but just changing the kids' diets in school won't solve much. They need more exercise and with more schools dropping recess and giving kids more ways to skip gym class, it's no wonder our obesity rate is on the rise (among other reasons).

So they don't want to serve 2% or whole even though it says "fat free"? I'm so confused.....then again, I'm no dairy farmer and don't even know what skim milk really is exactly. I think it's good to push more fresh fruits and veggies, and even more juice and water to drink as an alternate to milk, but just changing the kids' diets in school won't solve much. They need more exercise and with more schools dropping recess and giving kids more ways to skip gym class, it's no wonder our obesity rate is on the rise (among other reasons).

Skim milk is "Fat Free Milk". They just stopped calling it "skim" and started calling it "Fat Free".

These changes will make a difference, its called GRADUALISM!

BTW, nothing wrong with eating healthier, but what many seem to be missing here is the fact that an environment of healthy eating is being created which would essentially FORCE people to eat a certain way, sure you and I may not change our habits, but the younger kids will adapt to this mode of eating and it will impact them, because they are essentially exposed to it for several years, 5 days a week, 180 days per year, these changes are more than likely for the good of the student and it will create healthier eating habits at least during school hours, which could in turn, create a future generation of healthier kids.

But the principle of it is what I find disturbing. In my opinion, it is rather Orwellian and it reeks of Progressivism and the Nanny State.

BTW, for those of you who think that this may not include you, due to the fact that you are no longer in public school, consider this;

* There have been several proposals by State and Federal Legislators, to limit the amount of "bad foods" that can be purchased with Food Stamps or Food Cards. In a nut shell these proposals are an attempt to force low income folks to eat healthier, and since the Govt. is providing the source of $$$$ it only seems fair that the Govt. set the rules.

*Obesity Taxes, already implemented within several states, place a higher tax on non-healthy foods, resulting in an increase in price of the product, which naturally reduces consumption, which should lead to better health.

*The National Association of Restaurants are working hard to "clean up" and make a healthier product, at the urging of the Govt. and with the efforts of the First Lady. Anyone noticed McDonalds fries or their Tea in the past year or so?

Not saying these measures can't help, just saying that it is already happening all around us, just wondering how long it will be before several choice items at the Supermarket will be no longer on the shelves? ie(blackballed as bad unhealthy products, so the company starts over with another product or goes out of business?)

Edited by bucfan64

Fat Free milk if like water with a bit of white food coloring in it. Some of these changes are for the better, but it seems they could be a bit more concerned about the overwhelming drug problems in the area. And oh yea maybe bringing some jobs in so our kids may actually have an option on whether they want to stay here and live or not, instead of having to move away to find many decent jobs etc..

Something has to kill you.....Id rather if be red meat....biscuits and gravy....and fast food rather than having Michelle Obama trying to tell me what I will eat.

Here is a thought....if we are so obese.....bring back recess!