New Disrict

swvacsas2

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it won't happen, but the best way to do this is to continue the LPD tradition with the "new" schools. historic rivalries would remain in tact, and travel would not be an issue...

Clintwood (soon to be Ridgeview with Haysi/Ervinton)

Union

Wise Central

JI Burton

Eastside

Gate City

all of those teams are or have been members of the LPD at one time or another (even Haysi and Ervinton). Coeburn, Pound, Appy, PV, and JJ Kelly are all represented here. with Clintwood and JI Burton (and to a lesser extent, GC) that's the good ol' LPD as it should be.

I think thats what will eventually happen, w/ the exceptions of JIB and maybe GC. JIB is too small and generally wouldnt be able to compete and GC has issuses with wise co schools and being in a district with them.

I think thats what will eventually happen, w/ the exceptions of JIB and maybe GC. JIB is too small and generally wouldnt be able to compete and GC has issuses with wise co schools and being in a district with them.

However I could see Lee joining that group

Agree with Redtiger on Gate City. Gate City has no interest in being with Wise County. They have a good setup in the CMD and would derive little advantage from going elsewhere. Believe there is little or no chance that Eastside would join a new district. Coeburn left the LPD to get in with smaller more rural schools- they have no incentive to leave. The enrollment at Eastside has no prospect of growing- the litlle bit of a St. Paul contingent they have will be decimated after this year. No reason for an A school to be in a AA district.

I disagree on Eastside, they are right at the new A/AA cutoff and are closer in size to the oter schools mentioned than they are to the Cumberland schools. Notto mention its really kinda pathetic that they arent dominating the Cumberland, they are alot larger than the oher Cumberland schools.

As far as GC goes, they dont want to move but I think it would be better for them to be in the proposed district than remaining in th CMD. Midweek trips to Tazewell, Richlands and Marion will get old fast. Grundy may also jump to te CMD once the new system is in place. That would be 1 1/2 hours to Marion and Richlands as well as around 2 horus to Tazewell or Grundy. The proposed district would be a better fit.

I disagree on Eastside, they are right at the new A/AA cutoff and are closer in size to the oter schools mentioned than they are to the Cumberland schools. Notto mention its really kinda pathetic that they arent dominating the Cumberland, they are alot larger than the oher Cumberland schools.

As far as GC goes, they dont want to move but I think it would be better for them to be in the proposed district than remaining in th CMD. Midweek trips to Tazewell, Richlands and Marion will get old fast. Grundy may also jump to te CMD once the new system is in place. That would be 1 1/2 hours to Marion and Richlands as well as around 2 horus to Tazewell or Grundy. The proposed district would be a better fit.

Eastside is not very close to the 475 cutoff. It was set at 475 for a reason, as Eastside's principal is one of the members of the VHSL executive committee. Eastside is not going anywhere, they joined the Cumberland despite objections from most of their community.

"Notto mention its really kinda pathetic that they arent dominating the Cumberland, they are alot larger than the oher Cumberland schools."

In fairness to Coeburn-Eastside their numbers are deceptive. The town of Coeburn only has around 2100 people- the attendance area is rural- well populated, but rural. The Coeburn attendance zone is pretty spread out. Coeburn does not have an area of concentrated population to make their numbers effective.

I won't say Mr. Lee had NOTHING to do wth it, but it wasn't set at 475 because of Eastside's size (which, BTW, IS close to the cutoff...442 as of Sept.), but because that's where the split ALREADY was set. It was used last Fall for the new football playoff system, and was announced a good year ago, before "Eastside" even existed.

I won't say Mr. Lee had NOTHING to do wth it, but it wasn't set at 475 because of Eastside's size (which, BTW, IS close to the cutoff...442 as of Sept.), but because that's where the split ALREADY was set. It was used last Fall for the new football playoff system, and was announced a good year ago, before "Eastside" even existed.

And it half of Ervintons population end up at Eastside after Dickenson Co consolidation as is the rumor then Eastside will be well over the cutoff number

And it half of Ervintons population end up at Eastside after Dickenson Co consolidation as is the rumor then Eastside will be well over the cutoff number

Are many from Ervinton likely to end up at Castlewood as well?

A good percentage of Ervinton's kids are already in Coeburn. There are actually more Dickenson County kids attending Coeburn than St. Paul kids. Kids from the Sandy Ridge area and associated ridges will go on to Coeburn- West Dante, Hazel Mountain, etc. to Castlewood.

Honestly, let them go. Its only another 15 minutes on a bus for the Sandy Ridge kids and less than that for the Hazel Mtn/West Dante kids.

The Haysi kids from Breaks and Bee will be the ones that will have the longest bus rides but no one is talking about them.

wouldnt kids from Bee just go to Council? and the breaks is already split up with Grundy

Of course I keep hearing that Councils days are numbered so that may only be a short term solution for the Bee Kids.

IDK about the kids from the breaks honestly East Ridge might be there best bet

Yeah the kids from Bee would go to Council and the kids from Breaks will probably go to East Ridge. My point is(and not explicitly pointing anyone out) that everyone keeps talking about the poor Ervinton kids(on here and just in general) but theyre are other kids that are gonna face much more difficulty and no one is concerned for them. In fact the kids and their parents seem to accept that consolidation is the best thing for everyone involved.

Weve talked on here about the possibility of closing Council before. I havent been from Council to Garden Creek since I was a kid so I cant remember exactly what the roads are like but I imagine that its not that bad. I dont remember the road from Davenport to Deskins being that terrible, but I could be mistaken.

Edited by redtiger

personally, I think the worst stretch of "good" road in the county is Indain Gap.

Plus, they wouldn't be stopping at Garden Creek, but going another 20 minutes or so, across Bill Young Mtn., to Pilgrims Knob.