the bears vs wave

cwood78

What exactly do you remember different from last years game? Union either opened up with 20 or 21 unanswered and went into the half up by 2. Clintwood scored off of three consecutive INT's. I'm not sure but I think only 1 was ran back for a td. Union opened the second half up in a spread offense for reasons that I cant even explain. It was already proven that Clintwoods defense wasn't going to be stopped so why not keep the ball on the ground and out of their hands? The 4th quarter was all clintwood. That is an accurate but crude run down of that game.

What exactly do you remember different from last years game? Union either opened up with 20 or 21 unanswered and went into the half up by 2. Clintwood scored off of three consecutive INT's. I'm not sure but I think only 1 was ran back for a td. Union opened the second half up in a spread offense for reasons that I cant even explain. It was already proven that Clintwoods defense wasn't going to be stopped so why not keep the ball on the ground and out of their hands? The 4th quarter was all clintwood. That is an accurate but crude run down of that game.

Clintwood didn't run an INT back from what I remember either. Union did though.

I feel very strongly that Union is a better team this year than last - for several reasons but most importantly the extra year for the coaches to work through the consolidation issues.

The Bears have the raw materials to be very good - but they are fairly young with only three seniors starting on offense.

Things to look for are the balance of the Bears running attack - not only the three backs but the Bears can run well behind both sides of the o-line. Even though they do not pass much, the balance of the running attack has kept all their opponents playing honest defenses. The play of the young linemen has really been my favorite part of the season so far - of course the Bears like to run behind the two seniors; Tackle Morelock (310lbs) and Guard Cole (225lbs) but Soph Tackle Falin (250lbs) and Jr Tight End Barker (235lbs) have gotten the Bears many hard fought first downs. All the backs block really well.

I've seen Gavin Meade play several times already and he has a powerful and effective running style that is really unstoppable for most area highschool teams plus the experienced QB helps the Wave's chances for a title repeat - I think the key for any team will be to contain Meade. Last year the Bears were unable to contain him in the second half and that is why the Wave won the game.

Union has seen quality competition this year and so I don't think the Green Wave will shock them but I also agree with a previous poster that Clintwood is much more sure of themselves this year than they were at this time last season & I think they are also a better team.

It makes this game very difficult to predict.

I suspect turnovers and penalities will ultimately decide the outcome but I think the Bears will have to wait until next year to beat the Wave.

Clintwood 28 Union 14

I feel very strongly that Union is a better team this year than last - for several reasons but most importantly the extra year for the coaches to work through the consolidation issues.

The Bears have the raw materials to be very good - but they are fairly young with only three seniors starting on offense.

Things to look for are the balance of the Bears running attack - not only the three backs but the Bears can run well behind both sides of the o-line. Even though they do not pass much, the balance of the running attack has kept all their opponents playing honest defenses. The play of the young linemen has really been my favorite part of the season so far - of course the Bears like to run behind the two seniors; Tackle Morelock (310lbs) and Guard Cole (225lbs) but Soph Tackle Falin (250lbs) and Jr Tight End Barker (235lbs) have gotten the Bears many hard fought first downs. All the backs block really well.

I've seen Gavin Meade play several times already and he has a powerful and effective running style that is really unstoppable for most area highschool teams plus the experienced QB helps the Wave's chances for a title repeat - I think the key for any team will be to contain Meade. Last year the Bears were unable to contain him in the second half and that is why the Wave won the game.

Union has seen quality competition this year and so I don't think the Green Wave will shock them but I also agree with a previous poster that Clintwood is much more sure of themselves this year than they were at this time last season & I think they are also a better team.

It makes this game very difficult to predict.

I suspect turnovers and penalities will ultimately decide the outcome but I think the Bears will have to wait until next year to beat the Wave.

Clintwood 28 Union 14

Very good post and great info about the players from Union...Last year we had several good Union players play in our FCA All-Star game ...Va versus Tenn. I was very impressed with the Union kids...Evan Orr ,Josh Chandler ,Nathan Baker and Tyler Barker...very good athletes... I'm sure the young men you mentioned are hard working as well... Tonights game should be a dandy ...and I think turnovers will be difference makers tonight... One young man that gets a little overshadowed by Gavan Meade is Robbie Mullins ...This guy is one of the most hard nosed football players I have ever seen play... Also Clintwood does have a good passing game along with a great running game...

If Clintwood throws the ball Union is in big trouble, just saying. Hope Union can control the clock with the ground game, may be able to keep close, but defending the pass....long nite.

Clintwoods passing game is alot like the really good Appalachia teams of old; they dont throw often but they throw at the right times and are effecient. They grind it out and when the D "falls asleep" they throw it over the top. I would label it as a very dangerous passing attack

Its hard to throw the ball in the rain. Bears by 12.

What rain? Cloudy but not raining in Wise.... Hope it doesn't rain ..not for the players but for the fans ...rain or no rain ...going with the Wave by 14 points:)

Clintwoods passing game is alot like the really good Appalachia teams of old; they dont throw often but they throw at the right times and are effecient. They grind it out and when the D "falls asleep" they throw it over the top. I would label it as a very dangerous passing attack
Union has had a difficult time defending the pass all season