Rezoning of College Ave. in Bluefield

BLUEFIELD (WVVA) - City leaders in Bluefield are considering rezoning one street in order to protect home values.

The possibility of rezoning College Avenue has been put on the table for the city council. Some residents and council members say that multi-family homes and apartment buildings which lack proper upkeep could make the values of real estate decline.

The rezoning would restrict the area to single-family homes only.

The city council will be giving concerned residents a chance to speak on the proposal at future meetings.

What exactly does this mean?

BLUEFIELD (WVVA) - City leaders in Bluefield are considering rezoning one street in order to protect home values.

The possibility of rezoning College Avenue has been put on the table for the city council. Some residents and council members say that multi-family homes and apartment buildings which lack proper upkeep could make the values of real estate decline.

The rezoning would restrict the area to single-family homes only.

The city council will be giving concerned residents a chance to speak on the proposal at future meetings.

What exactly does this mean?

I'll give it a swing, but zoning's not my forte, since Tazewell County makes up zoning as it goes (literally, that's how it works in Tazewell).

I would reckon that College Avenue is zoned as some hybrid of commerical/residential that allows boarding homes, bed-and-breakfasts, the Community Center, and apartments. Some residents, upon seeing some of the rundown buildings toward the end of the street, have caught a case of the "pissed off" and are probably burning up the phone lines with whoever took over Andy Merriman's old gig. So, the LOLgovernment of Bluefield, WV is going to publicly coddle them by rekajiggering the zoning to where only single-family homes are allowed.

Little do those nebbynoses know that rezoning that area to single-family residential doesn't go ANYTHING to fix the current problem. Bluefield, WV has two options. One, they can force all the boarding homes and apartments to go out of business...but that qualifies as a taking under eminent domain...so Bluefield, WV would have to fork out millions (plural) of dollars to give just compensation to the landowners. Two, they can make the rezoning take effect for construction AFTER the date the zoning is put into effect...which does jack squat to fix the problem the people are complaining about.

Knowing Bluefield, WV, you know what option they're gonna take...

A funny little aside. Guess where the Bluefield Community Center is located? Guess what happens if it ever needs to be rebuilt?

Bluefield, WV. Home of "herp-a-derp".

Edited by UVAObserver

College Avenue needs SOMETHING done. As beaver baseball said, it has turned into a "ghetto".

All those apartment buildings and some of the multi-family homes are quickly falling into disrepair. And the current residents of said structures are mostly to blame for that. From Maryland Ave. to Wythe Ave. is looking really bad. And it seems like it has happened within the last year or so. Its sad that people don't have any respect for other peoples' properties. But that's what happens when nice places are purchased by a "slum lord"...

College Avenue needs SOMETHING done. As beaver baseball said, it has turned into a "ghetto".

All those apartment buildings and some of the multi-family homes are quickly falling into disrepair. And the current residents of said structures are mostly to blame for that. From Maryland Ave. to Wythe Ave. is looking really bad. And it seems like it has happened within the last year or so. Its sad that people don't have any respect for other peoples' properties. But that's what happens when nice places are purchased by a "slum lord"...

Now back in the day, I could have told you who the Bluefield VA slum lords were, I can't do the same on the WV side. Are there some chronic offenders?

Of course if the rezoning happens, those offending properties will continue to have a "grandfathered" right to exist.

Edited by Hacker

Of course if the rezoning happens, those offending properties will continue to have a "grandfathered" right to exist.

Hold the phones, we have a winner!!!

Hence, why this is all an exercise in futility.

And it's exactly for the reasons I said above. You either grandfather them in or pay several million dollars to fight condemnation cases.

Hold the phones, we have a winner!!!

Hence, why this is all an exercise in futility.

And it's exactly for the reasons I said above. You either grandfather them in or pay several million dollars to fight condemnation cases.

All the rezoning would accomplish is stopping the problem from growing.

I'd really like to see this happen.

College avenue by the community center has been transformed into the "ghetto"

Ditto... as a home owner that lives off of College Avenue... I can say that in the past 3 years alone, the neighborhood has lost value due to the apartment dwellings and multi-family homes.... If the owners of these properties would upkeep their property, or have the codes already on the books enforced, I don't think it would be as much of a problem...... But, I personally can't stand to drive to the bottom of the hill and even look at College Avenue, I go the other way up the hill to 460...

Edited by futbolking

Ditto... as a home owner that lives off of College Avenue... I can say that in the past 3 years alone, the neighborhood has lost value due to the apartment dwellings and multi-family homes.... If the owners of these properties would upkeep their property, or have the codes already on the books enforced, I don't think it would be as much of a problem...... But, I personally can't stand to drive to the bottom of the hill and even look at College Avenue, I go the other way up the hill to 460...

I live off college ave. close to those brick apartments on the corner of dearborn and college. You can drive by any time of day or night and see people all around the apartments. I had my window down one afternoon and was about to cut onto college this past summer and got a huge whiff of weed. Not something we need in our neighborhood.

I'm sure quite a few honest, hardworking people live there. But the rest overshadow them.

Edited by bluefieldRocks