The NFL continues to get it wrong...

cityofRaven

I find it amusing that the NFL will sell "pink" merchandise, but you will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever see the NFL sell "blue" merchanise, particularly since September (a month in which the NFL is active, BTW) is Prostate Cancer Awareness Month. You will also not see the NFL publicize during September the way it does during October. It's odd, when prostate cancer strikes more victims every year than does breast cancer.

http://www.cancer.gov/statistics/find

Prostate cancer: 154.8 per 100,000 men per year.

Breast cancer: 124.3 per 100,000 women per year.

I'm not saying that breast cancer isn't worthy of publicity. Don't get me wrong, it absolutely is. The reality of cancer hit home hard this year for me, and I admire all those who have fought, and have died, in resistence to the disease.

But the NFL knows it can peddle the pink apparel to women and make more money than it can doing the same for men. And if that's the NFL's motive...if the NFL makes one dime of profit off cancer awareness...that's downright evil.

I find it amusing that the NFL will sell "pink" merchandise, but you will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever see the NFL sell "blue" merchanise, particularly since September (a month in which the NFL is active, BTW) is Prostate Cancer Awareness Month. You will also not see the NFL publicize during September the way it does during October. It's odd, when prostate cancer strikes more victims every year than does breast cancer.

http://www.cancer.gov/statistics/find

Prostate cancer: 154.8 per 100,000 men per year.

Breast cancer: 124.3 per 100,000 women per year.

I'm not saying that breast cancer isn't worthy of publicity. Don't get me wrong, it absolutely is. The reality of cancer hit home hard this year for me, and I admire all those who have fought, and have died, in resistence to the disease.

But the NFL knows it can peddle the pink apparel to women and make more money than it can doing the same for men. And if that's the NFL's motive...if the NFL makes one dime of profit off cancer awareness...that's downright evil.

Exactly! The male audience is already there. With all this pink it draws in the women audience that isn't there. If even 50% or 60% of the profits were going to the cause I wouldn't mind but when barley 3.5% is, that's where I have a problem.

The NFL is a joke and it's sad that more people don't have knowledge of this.

Also, we may have discussed this in the past but the whole breast cancer "awareness" thing drives me crazy. I think today that the majority of women are aware that breast cancer exists and that early detection is important. Why doesn't more of this money go to research for a cure??