NS cutting 200 jobs...

http://bdtonline.com/local/x1200640816/End-of-line-for-200-at-NS

End of an era for Bluefield...and maybe the final nail in the coffin, too...

Losing this many jobs is really going to hurt the areas economy. And there could be a significant population shift downward to depending upon how many take jobs elsewhere...

" Losing this many jobs is really going to hurt the areas economy. And there could be a significant population shift downward to depending upon how many take jobs elsewhere... "

The only saving grace on local population loss- there are no jobs elsewhere.

Back in the late 50s and in the 60s I remember droves of people heading north to find work. Those jobs are gone. Skilled equipment operations can find work- far away work- oil patch in ND etc. Have heard a couple of miners discuss Australia.

This is as going to be as bad as the 30s in this area unless the skid stops somewhere, sometime.

Bluefield VA-WV has lost nearly 500 jobs since April (Bluefield Beverage, Kroger, NS)...we can't take much more.

Think of it this way, that's not 500 people who have been affected...that's 500 families. Then you have to think about the "trickle down" effect on service, retail, banking, etc...

This one may be the one to break the camel's back for our area...

As an employee for Norfolk Southern for Twenty-Six years this is the worst I have seen it. In 2009 it got so bad that I was demoted from locomotive engineer to conductor for about three months. When worked finally picked back up anyone who was qualified as an locomotive engineer was promoted and because of this it left a shortage of conductors. Because of the shortage of conductors NS held hiring sessions and panicked and hired way too many. I have had upper management tell me that NS has privately admitted this mistake and due to the economy the way it is and the demand for coal is down it has come back to bite them in the a$$. As of right now I am still a locomotive engineer but I do not have a lot of younger guys below me in engineer seniority which means back to conductor status if more seniority moves are made.

The only saving grace on local population loss- there are no jobs elsewhere.

Yes, there are. PA is hiring in the energy fields like nobody's business, thanks to the shale boom. And it's not just the mining aspect: I could go up to central/southeastern PA today and make $70/hour as an abstractor. And that's nothing but billable hours...

NY's going to be the same way, as it's slowly removing its head from its tuckus.

The NS jobs won't be coming back. They've been eliminated. Those that had jobs have been offered jobs elsewhere...read the article "permanent relocation".
no job is permanent with NS it's a union and you do have the option to kick/ bid on another job. I would know this my dad worked for them for 35 years. So saying those jobs won't be coming back is incorrect. They will come back once coal picks back up.

Man. I hope you can find something, somewhere, soon.

It's a shame.

It's not looking very good right now. Probably have to ride unemployment out til they call me back.

no job is permanent with NS it's a union and you do have the option to kick/ bid on another job. I would know this my dad worked for them for 35 years. So saying those jobs won't be coming back is incorrect. They will come back once coal picks back up.

I wouldn't count on it...

Mechel bluestone released a statement they won't be operating some until first of the year.

Hate to hear that for you. I hope you know who to vote for in November...