Last LPD Game

stainless

Well folks the end of the LPD will come to a end. By far the best Single A district in the state since 1970.

21 state champions

14 state runner-ups

(Gate City won state in 07, not sure if they where still in the LPD, if so that would make 22 state titles)

This Saturday at 100p the last game for the LPD will be played at Carl Smith

Stadium on the campus of UVA at Wise.

For these young men from Burton and Central. To play in the final LPD, has to be a great honor for them.

Lets see how many LPD fans turn out to see this final game. So tell your friends, family, just whoever. Come on out and enjoy the game!!!!

Well folks the end of the LPD will come to a end. By far the best Single A district in the state since 1970.

21 state champions

14 state runner-ups

(Gate City won state in 07, not sure if they where still in the LPD, if so that would make 22 state titles)

This Saturday at 100p the last game for the LPD will be played at Carl Smith

Stadium on the campus of UVA at Wise.

For these young men from Burton and Central. To play in the final LPD, has to be a great honor for them.

Lets see how many LPD fans turn out to see this final game. So tell your friends, family, just whoever. Come on out and enjoy the game!!!!

2007 was the first season of the CMD, so GC wasn't in the LPD then.

GC was State Runner up in 07...got hammered by Gretna in title game....and yes CMD that year.

70 & 74 - Southwest District

97 - Highlands District

03 - LPD

10 - CMD

Edited by BiGBiLL

I played in the LPD from 87-90. There were some great football back then. Now this Saturday I get to enjoy the last game. What is going to make it better for me, is that my son will be playing in this game.

Powell Valley championships and records

1982 12-0-1

1985 12-1

1989 13-1

1990 14-0

1994 12-2

1995 14-0

1997 14-0

1998 14-0

State Runner-Up

2004 12-2

Appalachia

1971 13-0

1989 9-5

1992 13-1

1994 12-2

1996 11-3

1997 13-1

Gate City (as an LPD school)

2003 14-0

As a non LPD school

1970 13-0

1974 13-0

1997 12-2

2010 12-2

And those 21 (hopefully the LPD can make it 22 or 23 this year) state titles were won by 5 different teams. Amazing....

Actually six different teams. Appalachia (71,89,92,94,96,97) , Clintwood ( 74,75,78,2011), J.I. Burton (72), J.J. Kelly (81), Powell Valley ( 82,85,89,90,94,95,97,98), and Gate City (2003).

Actually six different teams. Appalachia (71,89,92,94,96,97) , Clintwood ( 74,75,78,2011), J.I. Burton (72), J.J. Kelly (81), Powell Valley ( 82,85,89,90,94,95,97,98), and Gate City (2003).

Pound also played for 1. There were only 2 LPD teams that never played for a state title in football, Coeburn and Ervinton.

Pound also played for 1. There were only 2 LPD teams that never played for a state title in football, Coeburn and Ervinton.

Six different teams won it. Seven teams played for State and technically 4 teams never played for one. Coeburn, Ervinton, Union, and Central. :p

Six different teams won it. Seven teams played for State and technically 4 teams never played for one. Coeburn, Ervinton, Union, and Central. :p

There is no Union or Central High School yet. It's still PV and JJK until they're in a new school. It's a shame they had to change the name of those schools to accomodate a handful of morons in 3 towns.

Yep...I forgot about the 2003 Gate City title.

There is no Union or Central High School yet. It's still PV and JJK until they're in a new school. It's a shame they had to change the name of those schools to accomodate a handful of morons in 3 towns.

They should have been more organized about it all but the few morons did pretty much have their way with it.

Saturday is here.

In a few hours we will have the kick off of the most storied District in Va single A history.

21 state titles. (Can anyonone get no. 22 ?)

14 state runner-ups

So if you have nothing to do today come on out to UVA-Wise and watch this game.

" There is no Union or Central High School yet. It's still PV and JJK until they're in a new school. It's a shame they had to change the name of those schools to accomodate a handful of morons in 3 towns. "

" They should have been more organized about it all but the few morons did pretty much have their way with it. "

This is not something I would like to discuss on this board- however, I feel compelled to answer, You seem to imply that only a handful of people in the three towns opposed consolidation- you could have meant that a handful wanted changes in colors etc.- I am not certain on that point- but the vast majority of the people in these communities opposed this project and still do. I was one of the strongest opponents of school consolidation in Wise County. Far from being moronic those of us who opposed consolidation are being proved true in every facet of our opposition, The proponents of consolidation were fiscally ignorant and in many cases downright liars.

The claims made by the supporters of consolidation were:

1. School expenses would be reduced- there is not the slightest evidence of this nor was there any intention to reduce expenditures.

2. No tax increases would be needed to pay for the schools. An obvious falsehood. Those of us who opposed this were not only correct but we appear to be on target as to the extreme amount of the increases.

3. The schools would be a boon to economic development. This was silly to begin with- any benefits would accrue only to those areas the schools would be located in.

4. Academic performance would be improved. No evidence of this- though we shall see if new buildings make a difference.

5. There would be a plethora of new course offerings. This was stupid on the face of it- if your enrollment is declining you aren't going to have enough students for greatly extended offerings. The courses haven't happened and they will not ever happen.

6. The proponents of consolidation claimed that the smaller communities were imposing a greater fiscal burden on the larger communities in the taxes needed for the upkeep and operation of the schools. In reality this was the opposite- the three smaller communities furnish the bulk of county revenues. The sharp decline in the severance tax is driving this home. St. Paul alone will furnish at least 35% of all county property taxes.

7. It was claimed by the proponents that no significant loss in revenue would occur because of consolidation- this was again silly to begin with and exactly the opposite has happened. The loss of enrollment from St. Paul alone has wiped out a good portion of any savings.

The problem the Wise County school system has and had is fiscal irresponsibility. They have sucked in huge amounts of money over the last several years with no thoughts of good management. No small rural school system can survive with a tax and spend mentality.

None of the opponents of this scheme ever asked for school names etc. to be changed. The push for wasting money came from consolidation supporters, St. Paul is a good example- not a single person from St. Paul asked that Coeburn's colors be changed. At the meetings of consolidation opponents in Appalachia and Pound the subject was never brought up.