Top West Va High schools

wave316

I believe I remember hearing that Wayne and Bluefield are going to renew the series for the next two years in football.

I certainly hope so. I'd love to see those games.

I'm pulling for Bluefield in every game except that first one....

I have one kid that goes to Graham.... one that goes to Bluefield....I went to GHS.... I am truly in a house divided.

Presuming Wayne and Bluefield was a 2-year contract, Wayne will head to Mitchell Stadium in Week 11 in 2013.

They played at Wayne in 2010, at Bluefield in 2011, and at Wayne in 2012.

I have no inside information, but this series may end for a short time after 2013, just to let things cool off for literally 2 years or so...or if it is a typical Wayne-Bluefield game where there aren't any issues, which there were none from 2002-2011, I wouldn't be surprised if it was renewed.

Both teams help fill a void and bring excellent competition to the other.

As far as what Wayne loses, Wayne loses 16 seniors. A significant chunk for sure, but Wayne's lost more than that before. There was a lot of quality in those 16 though. Wayne's 2012 team was a once-in-a-generation team in terms of being a complete team (not easy to have with AA numbers).

That said, Wayne does bring back 2 first team all-state performers next year, so there is a solid base to build around. Also return a kid than ran for 200 yards in the state semifinals against RCB in his only varsity backfield start to this point. 3 OL return. Two inside LB's return, as does 2/3 of the secondary from the state championship game.

It's impossible to expect them to play at the same level in 2013 they did the last 6 games of 2011 and the entire 2012 season...but they work hard and are well coached...they're just going to show signs of vulnerability, not a complete collapse.

There are some pretty good sized athletes in the lower classes too. And they all got a lot of playing time against varsity teams this past season...so I think Wayne will be in the thick of things next year.

Wayne, Keyser, Bluefield, Bridgeport should be the top 4 (in no particular order) next year.

Bluefield will be good but I'm curious about their line play. I thought it took a step forward in 2012, but still had some upperclassmen there. The skill kids were good and almost all return. I really liked Corey Coppola at TE/MLB. I'm sure Bluefield will work to involve him more on offense.

Presuming Wayne and Bluefield was a 2-year contract, Wayne will head to Mitchell Stadium in Week 11 in 2013.

I have no inside information, but this series may end for a short time after 2013, just to let things cool off for literally 2 years or so...or if it is a typical Wayne-Bluefield game where there aren't any issues, which there were none from 2002-2011, I wouldn't be surprised if it was renewed.

Both teams help fill a void and bring excellent competition to the other.

As far as what Wayne loses, Wayne loses 16 seniors. A significant chunk for sure, but Wayne's lost more than that before. There was a lot of quality in those 16 though. Wayne's 2012 team was a once-in-a-generation team in terms of being a complete team (not easy to have with AA numbers).

That said, Wayne does bring back 2 first team all-state performers next year, so there is a solid base to build around. Also return a kid than ran for 200 yards in the state semifinals against RCB in his only varsity backfield start to this point. 3 OL return. Two inside LB's return, as does 2/3 of the secondary from the state championship game.

It's impossible to expect them to play at the same level in 2013 they did the last 6 games of 2011 and the entire 2012 season...but they work hard and are well coached...they're just going to show signs of vulnerability, not a complete collapse.

There are some pretty good sized athletes in the lower classes too. And they all got a lot of playing time against varsity teams this past season...so I think Wayne will be in the thick of things next year.

Wayne, Keyser, Bluefield, Bridgeport should be the top 4 (in no particular order) next year.

Bluefield will be good but I'm curious about their line play. I thought it took a step forward in 2012, but still had some upperclassmen there. The skill kids were good and almost all return. I really liked Corey Coppola at TE/MLB. I'm sure Bluefield will work to involve him more on offense.

I'm sure they will. Coppola was a solid RB as a freshman when he played at Graham.....He would be excellent at the TE position or FB (not sure if Bluefield even runs a FB....but with him in the lineup...they should...)...He's bulked up some will be a load to bring down.

I got my years mixed up. For some reason I was thinking that 2012 ended the current cycle. Thanks for the correction.

I got my years mixed up. For some reason I was thinking that 2012 ended the current cycle. Thanks for the correction.

Believe me, the 2010 Bluefield at Wayne game was very forgettable. Bluefield won 47-6, it rained right up until the start of the game, and the Beavers were just far superior...however there was a glimmer of hope because every big play came on 3rd and long.

Then two weeks later in the quarterfinals at Bluefield...it was worse :/

Bluefield is by far the best team in the WV area around here. The records, stats, and championships prove it. Bluefield always lays the smackdown on other WV teams around here and will for a long time to come.