Deer antler spray used by athletes

I wonder if the stuff really works? According to what I have been able to learn so far it is widely used by athletes all over the world including players in the NFL, NBA and MLB, and as far as I can tell it is completely legal. Is it safe? Would it help an old fart like me have more energy?

It seems like this deer antler spray was the straw that broke the camel's back. Simmons just came out with his first readable article in years: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8904906/daring-ask-ped-question

He brings up good points here. Why don't the major sports leagues have better drug testing? How was Ray Lewis able to come back from a serious injury in an unreal amount of time? What actually constitutes a "performance enhancer"?

When I was in high school, I had a class with a guy who was being recruited by a big university here in WV. He got to go up for a game and go into the locker rooms and stuff.

He said right before they went to the field, the linemen would take that sniffing salt and take a huge whiff up the nose. Apparently is made them more alert or something? That's probably well known, I've never heard of it though.

When I was in high school, I had a class with a guy who was being recruited by a big university here in WV. He got to go up for a game and go into the locker rooms and stuff.

He said right before they went to the field, the linemen would take that sniffing salt and take a huge whiff up the nose. Apparently is made them more alert or something? That's probably well known, I've never heard of it though.

Thinking about "performance enhancement" in sports, one of the funniest things I remember seeing was years ago when my dad coached rec football in Washington County (in Battle's district, the WCAA), I remember seeing players from different teams raid the concession stands before their games at Sugar Hollow for sugar packets. They'd down them in no time to get an energy boost before the games, lol.

Simmons finally admitting that he's become a full industry hack amuses me. He puts out maybe one readable article per year, outside his mailbags. And he had lost his edge.

Grantland, though, is almost unreadable outside Simmons. It reminds me of a college newspaper where everyone's trying WAAAAAY too hard, thinking they're writing for the New Yorker. Keep Simmons, have Klosterman submit an article every month, and fire everyone else to replace the dead wood.

But I digress.

Simmons finally admitting that he's become a full industry hack amuses me. He puts out maybe one readable article per year, outside his mailbags. And he had lost his edge.

Grantland, though, is almost unreadable outside Simmons. It reminds me of a college newspaper where everyone's trying WAAAAAY too hard, thinking they're writing for the New Yorker. Keep Simmons, have Klosterman submit an article every month, and fire everyone else to replace the dead wood.

But I digress.

Yeah, I more or less agree. I like some of their writing (Graham Parker, Brian Phillips, Klosterman), but for the most part it's exactly as you describe. And what makes Charles Pierce such a renowned writer? He's completely insufferable. Few things make me as angry as a Charles Pierce column.