IL governer calls to raise min. wage

ThomasDenton

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/clout/chi-quinn-to-call-for-minimum-wage-increase-to-10-an-hour-20130206,0,3493991.story

He wants to raise the state's minimum wage from $8.25/hr to $10/hr. I'm sure employees will be very happy, but how will this affect businesses since they'll have to pay employees more?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/clout/chi-quinn-to-call-for-minimum-wage-increase-to-10-an-hour-20130206,0,3493991.story

He wants to raise the state's minimum wage from $8.25/hr to $10/hr. I'm sure employees will be very happy, but how will this affect businesses since they'll have to pay employees more?

They tried this in Charlottesville. Called it the "living wage", because apparently a family needs at least 2 adults working 40 hours per week in a job paying $10.25/hour just to survive. Oh, it was one of those big "I've never been in the real world but let me tell you how the economy works" causes about which all the liberals love to salivate. Big uproar over it. People were arrested for chaining themselves to the Rotunda.

Then it died.

For two reasons.

One, as common sense dictates, there are THOUSANDS of families in any given city who survive with both heads of households earning less than $10.25/hour OR a one-income family earning less than $20.50/hour in a 40-hour workweek. I survived in central PA in 2011, an area with an approximate standard of living, grossing FAAAAAAAAAAR less than that.

Two, and this is applicable to this situation, when you have:

(1) no increase in revenue, and

(2) paying higher wages

What's going to happen? You tell me. It's Macroeconomics 101.

Edited by UVAObserver
Edited: Just sprucin' it up...

Two, and this is applicable to this situation, when you have:

(1) no increase in revenue, and

(2) paying higher wages

What's going to happen? You tell me. It's Macroeconomics 101.

Bingo.