How good are we this year?

ThomasDenton

With so much talk about SWVA (or VA as a whole) being down in football and some talk I've heard about basketball as well, how do you guys think the Commonwealth or at least our area will stand up in baseball and softball this year. Maybe compare SWVA to the rest of VA or to nearby areas such as NETN, WVA, and EKY, or compare local states. Are we up, down, or what? I know the season hasn't started yet, but fun to think about.

*Also, about football and basketball, I'm just going by what MOST of the people I've heard from have said. Mostly, especially in football up until about the state tourny, the concensus was that we were down compared to the rest of VA and to other areas.

I can't speak to Tennessee, West Virginia or Kentucky but the vast majority of schools in this area have gotten thumped when crossing the border into North Carolina. Grayson County beat Alleghany and North Wilkes in boys basketball this season but they are historically terrible. Carroll was beaten badly by Mt. Airy in football. Patrick County got destroyed by Mt. Airy and North Stokes in football and basketball.

This is not unusual though. During the 2010-2011 basketball season, Galax was 25-2 and won the state championship and got hammered by West Stokes in a holiday tournament by 25. That team had Dave Popson's kid coming off the bench as a 6'-7" freshman.

I think baseball and softball season will be no different here!