September 20th Open

September 27th Happy Valley Home

October 4th Volunteer (Tn) Away

October 11th Lebanon Home

October 18th Va High Home

October 25th Richlands Away

November 1st Tazewell Home

November 8th Marion Away

Tough schedule early. Should be very solid on the O line and D line. Gibson, Craven and Bailey could play for any team. Seems like some good skill players are coming back in the run game and receiving corp. If a passing game could be found and Bowels lets someone else help coach, I see the Falcons having a winning season.

I agree Falcon, tough early schedule. We lost a kid this year....Wright moved and now goes to PH. Hopefully Palmer knows what he has with this kid. Kid oozes leadership and backs it up with talent, motivation and determination. We might do okay this year....if, like you said, the staff does some things differently. But, alas, I fully expect the insanity to continue...and we all know the definition of insanity...."to do the same thing OVER AND OVER and expect a different result"....pretty well sums it up. Please Coach Bowles, for the love of all that's good and pure in this world, run a standard 4-3 D and UTLILZE a tight end. Baby steps people.

Bowels,(my spelling) will utilize predictable offensive schemes and defenses that are not conducive to stopping swva offenses. He will not recognize the true talent that he has and this could cost the team. This has been the norm, but I hope it changes this year. If he could just be a good fundamental coach, this team could do really well. This team is talented and only weak at a few positions. The team has the beef up front to be a good run team. I think that they will need to run the ball a lot because I don't think the pass game will be there.

Any changes to the staff?

I know there's been lots of complaints about not only the head coach but other members on his staff.

There should be at least one new assistant coach since Strong left. I really wish Abingdon could turn things around in football. Too much potential to just be wasted to make certain people happy. I hate to see any team struggle this way....even if they are Battle's rivals.

We have picked up a couple of new assistants. We also lost 2 assistants...so we still have way too few coaches. The biggest problem, in my opinion...which I feel VERY strongly about....is the fact that our AD is also the head varsity basketball coach. This is a problem only because the AD loves the fact that Bowles is a quiet non-pot stirrer....therefore the AD can do what he wishes without pissing off the leading revenue head coach. Bowles is just riding out his time and AD Lasley is trying to make a name for himself....in Southwest Virginia...lol. I know that all of the non football head coaches HATE it when their players play another sport. Literally get mad. I know 2 of our receivers caught crap from their head coaches for playing football. When I was in high school, kids that played multiple sports were praised for doing so. Not at AHS. Coaches ride them about it. Being dead serious. When it becomes more about "you" (the coach) then it is about the kid...that's when it's time to do some career choice re-evaluation. So, when you hear (read) posts from Abingdon folks that complain about our staff please know that it's not just idle unfounded complaining. It is very justified. Sorry for the rant...and thanks Denton for the comments. We just want to be competitive because those of us that KNOW the kids we have (or had) also know their talent level. You don't have to be a high school head coach to recognize talent. People that have the same background as I do know that there are many kids at AHS that are playing positions that they are not.at.all suited for. We have a number of kids that could contribute on day 1 if they would play...but because they are scared of another head coach clipping their playing time in another sport they decide not to play. Bowles doesn't seem to mind if they play another sport...but the others do. And for the record I truly think Coach Bowles is a solid God fearing man. I have no ill feelings for the man on a personal level. I just think his desire to win and to coach, teach and motivate has left him. I have decided that I am going to do my level best to not complain this coming season....because I have always felt that if you complain you better be able to provide a solution. Well, it appears as though I (nor anybody individually) will be able to provide the solution we need...at least not in the short term. Okay, I am done now...again, sorry for the rant.