Hunting

I have a .243 and a 30-06, FIL uses .270.

Any thing from .243 to 30-06 is plenty for deer in these parts.

As far as what brand to purchase...depends on what you want to spend. Savage, Remington, Browning, and Ruger all make quality firearms...pick one. Make sure you put a decent scope on...Nikon makes some decent scopes that won't break the bank. You really don't need any scope more powerful than 3X9 for deer hunting around here.

I have a .243 and a 30-06, FIL uses .270.

Any thing from .243 to 30-06 is plenty for deer in these parts.

As far as what brand to purchase...depends on what you want to spend. Savage, Remington, Browning, and Ruger all make quality firearms...pick one. Make sure you put a decent scope on...Nikon makes some decent scopes that won't break the bank. You really don't need any scope more powerful than 3X9 for deer hunting around here.

as far as finding ammo goes and price, any of those that are easier to find these days? I can't find .223 to save my ass. Managed to pick up some .45 ACP 100 round boxes the other day at WallyWorld, just got lucky and saw the unopened box sitting there...the guy sold me 3 boxes and by the time I got them and left there was already 3 or 4 people in line behind me waiting to buy the rest.

I've found .243 and 30-06 just about everywhere. But I load my own so I don't notice the "shortage" too much.

Plenty of places on the 'net have ammo in stock and ready to ship. Some are charging an arm and a leg but others are priced pretty fair.

Try this place...

http://www.natchezss.com

keeping with tradition, as soon as I say I can't find something...found 3 boxes of .556 at wallyworld today for $10 a box...they had 4 but would only sell me 3...which is ok i dont mind leaving a box for the next guy, was happy to get 3.