Gate City at Bluefield

Beavers Rule

I know I've said it before, but it's like a kid at Christmas with Jim Nelson calling the games.  He is head and shoulders better than ANY local broadcaster.  He's not high energy or loud, therefore probably not exciting to the younger folks, but I could sit at home (like I did tonight) and could picture it perfectly.  I hope Joe Jarvis learns something doing the color commentary sitting next to him.

My wife hates trying to listen to games on the radio because she can't tell what's happening half the time.  We were in the car this evening on our way home, listening to the game, and she even made the comment of how clearly she could understand what was happening with Jim on the call.

My wife hates trying to listen to games on the radio because she can't tell what's happening half the time.  We were in the car this evening on our way home, listening to the game, and she even made the comment of how clearly she could understand what was happening with Jim on the call.

Years of experience has helped him develop a cadence of sorts.  When they roll out, he reminds of down and distance, describes the offensive set and the defensive set, all before the snap.  Sort of this:

Bluefield 2nd and 7.  Bluefield shows one wide to the left side, wingback right, shotgun, Gate City showing a 4-3.  Bourne takes the snap, fakes to Coppolo, takes it to the right, breaks a tackle, managed to get 15 on the play.  First down Bluefield from the 30...

..and so forth.  No wasted words like we heard last year.  No time wasted whining about the officials, or the opponent.

I agree about Jim. He is fantastic!!

I'd really like to see him teach a class of some sort, college or otherwise, to train local broadcasters.  Face it, nobody who graduates from Syracuse's department of communication is going to come work down here (Bill Roth at VT, Tony Caridi at VT, Mike Tirico, and no doubt many others are from Cuse).  We need more than "Dang, did you see that, Kes!!!"