Gate City at Bluefield

Beavers Rule

gate city is the next thing to a joke according to the faithful gate city fans. They are blaming their coaching staff. They seem to run the ball up the middle 95% of the time. (((Not joking))) they are small compared to years past and their backs any tiny. Stack the box and bring the house and you win defensively. Throw the ball and you win offensively. That's the scouting report I have read on the Mountain District board. That being said Bluefield 49 gate city 13

Bluefield beat Gate City 63-21 last year...I expect it to be worse this year on the turf of Mitchell Stadium.

Considering Bluefield could have named the score on Graham, and Graham hung in there with Richlands, and Richlands beat Gate City by 4 TDs...this could be a record night for Gate City, in a bad way...unless Freddie calls off the dogs in the third quarter, which he likely will...

Bluefield beat Gate City 63-21 last year...I expect it to be worse this year on the turf of Mitchell Stadium.

It was played at Mitchell last year also. This makes GC two straight years going to Bluefield. GC seems to only try running up the middle every play no matter what. They are the only team I can remember to run 3 plays up the middle and then dare to run a punt fake up the middle for no gain. Defensively GC is better than last year but get wore down quick since the Offense runs so many 3 and outs.

GC is better on defense this year. Best defender may be the freshman middle linebacker. Lost a starting DB in the second game of the year. Pass D has been effected, but still has not been that bad. Havng almost no pass rush, and the D having to be on the field way too long, has attributed to some poor D. Sometimes it seems the D has a hard time lining up. Almost like the kids don't know where they need to be. The second smallest defensive I ever remember GC having (last year was the smallest). I have been going to GC games for 30 years. You could always count on the D being hard-nosed, and delivering some knock out shots each game. This has just not happened the last two years. Defense generally plays hard. They seem to get exhausted from being on the field too long, and their play suffers. 

Hard to explain the offense. Could have scored 70 points on Abingdon. Not sure how we even scored against Sullivan South. QB play has been erratic (guess that explains some of the problems), but is understandable with a young, inexperienced QB starting his first year. Pass blocking has also been hit or miss (pardon the pun), which also helps explain the erratic QB play. Run blocking has not been much better. Seems we hope that the RB can get through the first line of defenders and then use his speed  for a big gain. Just does not happen much. This leads to way too many three and outs. No rhythm gets established, and the defense gets tired. Second smallest offense I remember GC having (again, last year was the smallest).

Kick coverage has been terrible. No other word to describe it. Other team generally has great starting field position.

Punt coverage has been slightly better.

Bright spots: Young QB has potential. With better protection, and a decent running game, pass attack would be OK. Offense does have some speed at RB (losing RB Gardner hurt). TE/DB Collier can be a weapon. Young middle linebacker should develop into a monster. A couple of down years has not hurt participation. Still a bunch of kids on the team.

I think GC can win 4 games this year, but we are going to have to go away from traditional GC football a little. We don't have the line to attempt to run the ball like we have been doing. Obviously still have to attempt some runs up the middle to keep the defense semi-honest. We are going to have to get the ball to some of our playmakers in space. Quick pitches to our RBs with speed. Quick slants to Collier. Line Hicks/Herron up at WR and try a few bubble screens. Run a few middle screens (will also help slow down the pass rush). Run a few outside screens. Fake an off tackle run and hit Collier (from his TE position) going down the middle of the field (would be very effective for GC). Run some 4 or 5 wide sets. Spread the D out.....then try some runs up the middle (you would just need to get 1 or 2 blocks to open up a hole for the RB. Run the same set and try some QB runs.

It was played at Mitchell last year also. This makes GC two straight years going to Bluefield. GC seems to only try running up the middle every play no matter what. They are the only team I can remember to run 3 plays up the middle and then dare to run a punt fake up the middle for no gain. Defensively GC is better than last year but get wore down quick since the Offense runs so many 3 and outs.

That strategy failed for Graham, and it will fail for GC in equally memorable fashion.

Looks like the majority of the startes for GC will be suspended for tonight's game against Bluefield. Possibly for next week's game against Union. Not a joke.

Would probably be better to forfeit and not take the chance on getting a bunch of freshman hurt tonight.

Looks like the majority of the startes for GC will be suspended for tonight's game against Bluefield. Possibly for next week's game against Union. Not a joke.

Would probably be better to forfeit and not take the chance on getting a bunch of freshman hurt tonight.

Too bad! What happened to warrant the suspension?

Looks like the majority of the startes for GC will be suspended for tonight's game against Bluefield. Possibly for next week's game against Union. Not a joke.

It wasn't going to matter anyway.... just sayin

LOL!  I can remember GC fans saying this all the time back in the day when they were good.  Used to fill the VAPreps board full of angst and worry.

Just trying to pass on some information.

Even if its so, I'm sure Freddie could be persuaded into letting his freshman play Gate City...I'd still put my money on the Beavers...

I know I've said it before, but it's like a kid at Christmas with Jim Nelson calling the games.  He is head and shoulders better than ANY local broadcaster.  He's not high energy or loud, therefore probably not exciting to the younger folks, but I could sit at home (like I did tonight) and could picture it perfectly.  I hope Joe Jarvis learns something doing the color commentary sitting next to him.