Carroll Co. vs Salem...

GMan

It was a very intense game from the opening tip and the referees didn't do anything to get control.  After a loose ball battle between a Carroll and Salem player, punches were thrown between the two.  That led to both benches clearing along with some fans from the stands and police and school administration having to restore order.  After order was restored, the officials did a poor job issuing technical and flagrant fouls.  I still don't understand a player receiving a flagrant foul for leaving the bench area and throwing punches.  I thought that was supposed to be an automatic technical and disqualification.

I know it's the "in" thing to bash officiating and I rarely ever do it but anyone could see this coming, beginning with the opening tip.  I suspect several lengthy suspensions to come down from this and they should start with the officiating crew, but they wont.

Carroll was on a run and just scored to get to within 10, and the inbounds pass got loose in front of the Salem bench. Giles had a clean shot at the ball when Salem 14 tackled him. They were on the floor and a ref got in there trying to separate them, then just a big scrum. Lundy went flying over the pile after getting chucked by the big Light kid, somebody had a hand on Giles' throat and Beamer got slugged. I don't think any Carroll players left the bench, but the guys on the floor were all there. It was right in front of the Salem bench and at least one Salem bench player was in it.

No fans got on the floor. I didn't see any, and you can't get to the floor from the stands on that side of the gym anyway. Coaches, admins and the two deputies staffing the game were in there pulling kids away and directing them to their bench area.

Carroll coach Hawks said he had a pretty good view of Beamer getting slugged by Salem 10, since Hawks had Beamer in a bear hug at the time.

Salem 10 got a T, which was his fifth personal. Carroll had two Ts. Salem 20 never got into the game, but he got the flagrant foul and the ejection that should have gone to 14. That was huge, because 14 hit a big 3 and then had a 3-point play after all that went down.

The video guy must have been working on a Snickers or something, because he missed the whole thing.