SWVASports Survivor II - Week 10

dumpsterFIRE.jpg

It was incorrectly assumed that, at 4-2 overall, each of the Commonwealth's teams were trending in the right direction.  Virginia had just come off a 24-19 win over Pittsburgh that wasn't even nearly as close as the final score indicated, and Virginia Tech had just stopped the Fedora Express dead in its tracks.  Fast-forward, two weeks later, and both Commonwealth teams sit at .500 records after two straight weeks of fail.  The Hoos couldn't manage to score 21 points on a Duke defense that was giving up just shy of 47 yards/carry to Kevin Parks; on Saturday, the Hoos couldn't score more than 27 points against the second-worst scoring defense in the FBS.  The Hokies, on the other hand, lost to the same Pittsburgh team that even Virginia could beat; on Thursday night, the Hokies were the unwilling participants in the brutal sodomizing laid out by the Miami Hurricanes.  Both teams, now, are wondering if they'll get to 6 wins.  The Hokies have the easier path, but could well be sitting at 5-6 heading into Black Friday.  The Hoos have the harder path, but still have to play Miami, the only ACC coach who has a losing record against London...and even they could be 5-6 heading into Black Friday.  Virginia Tech could be looking to keep its awesome bowl streak alive; Virginia could be playing to save a coach's job.

What a league, and what a division.

It is with sheer delight and hilarity that we bid farewell to one of our tribe, hokiebird7.  Admittedly, he stated that he was going for broke with this pick.  Unfortunately, he rode into a trap that made General Custer's last stand look like a close battle.  Thus, we commit your Survivordom to the River Styx.  In your memory, we post a picture of Styx.

Styx-image-styx-36156160-355-237.jpg

Then, there were 5.  

It's frankly a wonder that Dear Leader didn't join you.  I won't lie, I was actually thinking of this little competition as Virginia scored a TD on its 2nd straight drive.  Alas, it was just the prelude to some of the most flabbergasting football this side of Doug Marrs.  Virginia, needing a FG in the final 6 minutes to put No Classes away, inexplicably ran, while on the edge of Ian Frye's FG range, (1) a WR reverse, which was stopped for a 6-yard loss; and (2) a blind screen pass, which was intercepted by some fatass DT and returned 20 yards.  On a crucial 3rd-and-goal from the Virginia 15, No Classes was playing without its QB (Marquise Williams) and RG (John Heck), who both had helmets come off on the previous play.  No worries.  In steps the backups, and No Classes' redshirt freshman backup QB throws a 15-yard TD pass to the most wide open person in Charlottesville, VA.  On the kickoff, Fedora's players urged him to do an onside kick, because Virginia's idiotic return team turns its back before the ball is even kicked.  Sho' 'nuff, Fedora did it.  Sho' 'nuff, Virginia's return team turned its back.  Sho' 'nuff, the very WR who had burned Virginia for 2 TDs in the passing game scoops up the ball.  No Classes picked up a first down, at which point, Dear Leader started his exit from Scott Stadium.  Dear Leader paused long enough to see Londumb decline a 3rd-down holding penalty, and then fail to realize that he had sent 12 men to the huddle before No Classes' field goal attempt, of which No Classes' had missed 2 earlier in the day.

Fedora's strategy was "let's let Virginia beat themselves".  And it worked.  No, I'm not pissed off...

Canes00, cityofRaven, and GMan correctly chose Boston College over Wake, but boy, did Wake make that way too close for comfort in the end.  swvaoutdoors correctly chose Clemson, who looked very sluggish and disinterested in a 16-6 win at freaking home over Syracuse.  Underdog bettors everywhere rejoice.

Here's the slate for this week:

Thursday, October 30th

#2 Florida State @ Louisville - 7:30 PM

Saturday, November 1st

#24 Duke @ Pittsburgh - 12:00 PM

Boston College @ Virginia Tech - 12:30 PM

North Carolina @ Miami - 12:30 PM

NC State @ Syracuse - 3:00 PM

Virginia @ Georgia Tech - 3:30 PM

Only 1 of those lines is greater than 1 score, and that's Miami.  The others are 6, 3.5, 3.5, 3, and 1.  A testament to how zany this conference is.  And with 5 weeks to go, every pick is crucial..

UVAObserver's Pick for Week 10

Florida State

I'm not in love with the pick by a LONG shot, but there's a surprisingly manageable road for me to reach Charlotte still SOMEHOW alive in this contest.  I got cute last week and picked the Tar Holes, and thanks to Simple Mike, I made it.  I debated getting cute again this week and taking Pittsburgh (mainly because Duke is horrible at stopping the run and that's all that Pittsburgh does well).  But, no.  I'm playing it safe.  Louisville is a good team this year, but I'm taking the team that's won 22 straight.