Gate City 72 Honaker 68 (Benefit Game)

Great City

Not really sure what to think about what I saw tonight. Guess it depends on what kind of team Honaker ends up having. 

Seems like we are going to do exactly like we did last year. Push the ball hard up the court, if we don't score in transition, throw the ball around until someone shoots a 3. If we are hitting the 3s, things will be fine. If we are not, we are in trouble.

Not much of a half court offense....which makes it hard to play smart and protect a lead. 

Got to learn to play smarter defense. Honaker was shooting 1 and 1s in the first quarter.

But.....................it was the first game. 

A lot of good tonight, and some issues for GC to fix. I really want to give credit to Honaker though. Showed a lot of fight after getting down early and never let GC put the game away. The Robinette kid is a beast. Think he had 36 tonight to give Honaker a chance to win late. Really good game.

Yeah............JV surprised me. What was the final.........65-12......or something like that?

I'm actually OK with a little "stall ball" depending on the situation. If you are up by 5-7 with less than a minute to go in a quarter, I have no problem holding the ball for the final shot. If you are up by 10-12, I am OK with trying to take a little time off the clock IF you end up taking a good shot. No need to hold the ball for a minute and then throw up a prayer. 

I'm also good with the fast break type offense we run. Just seems like if we don't score off the break, we are lost. 

The Honaker bunch is scrappy and has a lot of heart. Yes....the 6'8" kid is tough to stop. I expect them to win lots of games. 

Oh well.........was the first game. We definitely have lots to work on. 

Honaker will be very good this year. They return 4 starters from last year's team (at least that's what I've been told). I saw them play 2 or 3 times last year & they were good then. Should be one of the top 3 teams in Div 1 this year in our area.

Honaker will be very good this year. They return 4 starters from last year's team (at least that's what I've been told). I saw them play 2 or 3 times last year & they were good then. Should be one of the top 3 teams in Div 1 this year in our area.

Actually Honaker only returns 1 starter! Casey Dye, Casey Harman, Hunter Lester, and Sample all graduated. Robinette is all that returns starting wise from last year.

Actually Honaker only returns 1 starter! Casey Dye, Casey Harman, Hunter Lester, and Sample all graduated. Robinette is all that returns starting wise from last year.

OK. I was just going by what I was told. Thanks for the clarification.