1st round surprises?

Long Legged Turd Cutter

A couple of things here. Radford dropping Galax was a bad idea on their part. Even though they have only won one try in 6 against Galax they was still getting several rider points off of Galaxs wins, even with a loss. 

I agree that Galaxs competition has not been as good this year. Glenvar is certainly not as good as years past, although Galax really should have won that game by three plus scores, so that kind of negates that somewhat.  Although I think this year is by far the best team GW has had, and they had their way with them. 

I also agree that line depth is certainly no where near what it was last year, although most of the starters was back from last year and the Vaught kid has been phenomenal on the line as a freshman. 

I think the Defenseive is better this year as the addition of Vaught at linebacker this year has been huge - 100 plus tackles. And the speed of the defense is impressive. 

Last year teams had weapons all over the field on offense, ALOT of good skill players Brown, Dixon, C Vaught, Ashworth Spurlin that was lost. 

The addition of Johnson, Brown and the immergence of Beaman with others this year has helped offset this loss. The biggest difference by FAR this year compared to last was as the OP stated - the QB play has been light-years ahead of last year. I was watching film on a couple games last year and Galax had people running open all over the field. The QB either misread the reads or just plain missed them most of the time and alot of that talent went to waste, unfortunately. 

This year he has made  good reads and throws for the most part , some have been down right impressive. When he is on Galax is a machine. He gives you a couple of bad plays a game as ALL QBs  will and that will hurt anybody that throws or runs an RPO. Although the one game he was struggling more than others Dixon went old school smash mouth and it was a thing of beauty watching Brown get 9 to 10 yards a carry. 

As well as it being easier to get to state because no cross bracket, I do not understand that thinking at all. 

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

The QB is playing great.  He has a tendency to short-arm some throws but when he is "on", he is tremendous.  He also has a great stable of RB's, WR corp and OL to help him look great.  The effortless way they score points is unrivaled since that 2011 team.  Dixon even said so himself in today's newspaper! 

If you go to any games in the future, I will be sitting in the top row, directly behind the band wearing "Buddy Holley" glasses.  Can't miss me!

Sounds good I will be there as the playoffs advance to see a good game hopefully 

1 hour ago, Optimal62 said:

A couple of things here. Radford dropping Galax was a bad idea on their part. Even though they have only won one try in 6 against Galax they was still getting several rider points off of Galaxs wins, even with a loss. 

I agree that Galaxs competition has not been as good this year. Glenvar is certainly not as good as years past, although Galax really should have won that game by three plus scores, so that kind of negates that somewhat.  Although I think this year is by far the best team GW has had, and they had their way with them. 

I also agree that line depth is certainly no where near what it was last year, although most of the starters was back from last year and the Vaught kid has been phenomenal on the line as a freshman. 

I think the Defenseive is better this year as the addition of Vaught at linebacker this year has been huge - 100 plus tackles. And the speed of the defense is impressive. 

Last year teams had weapons all over the field on offense, ALOT of good skill players Brown, Dixon, C Vaught, Ashworth Spurlin that was lost. 

The addition of Johnson, Brown and the immergence of Beaman with others this year has helped offset this loss. The biggest difference by FAR this year compared to last was as the OP stated - the QB play has been light-years ahead of last year. I was watching film on a couple games last year and Galax had people running open all over the field. The QB either misread the reads or just plain missed them most of the time and alot of that talent went to waste, unfortunately. 

This year he has made  good reads and throws for the most part , some have been down right impressive. When he is on Galax is a machine. He gives you a couple of bad plays a game as ALL QBs  will and that will hurt anybody that throws or runs an RPO. Although the one game he was struggling more than others Dixon went old school smash mouth and it was a thing of beauty watching Brown get 9 to 10 yards a carry. 

As well as it being easier to get to state because no cross bracket, I do not understand that thinking at all. 

I agree with your observation although not sure George Wythe is better than last year. The additions they brought in have helped the team. And QB play is much better. My point on cross bracket is simple you dont play Essex or Riverheads until you get to state. You dont have to travel to Haysi etc. Galax is good dont get me wrong and I enjoy watching their new offense which is harder to stop. They have a great shot at making it would love to see them match up with Riverheads. 

1 hour ago, littlegiants said:

I agree with your observation although not sure George Wythe is better than last year. The additions they brought in have helped the team. And QB play is much better. My point on cross bracket is simple you dont play Essex or Riverheads until you get to state. You dont have to travel to Haysi etc. Galax is good dont get me wrong and I enjoy watching their new offense which is harder to stop. They have a great shot at making it would love to see them match up with Riverheads. 

That's implying the East teams are better than the west. Outside of the juggernaut of Riverheads I do not  believe that is the case year in and year out. Just my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

That's implying the East teams are better than the west. Outside of the juggernaut of Riverheads I do not  believe that is the case year in and year out. Just my opinion. 

True it can be a toss up every year depending on talent. But you are not traveling as far and you do not have to face Riverheads until you get to the state. If you have to play them in the semi finals it is harder to get there.