Union girls

Backpack

I can't say that I know any inside information for this situation, but I do have some theories.  I believe that the culture of youth sports has changed so much with this generation that it forces coaches and administrations to adapt in how they relate to the athletes.  IMO, kids these days are more emotional when it comes to being coached and parents are too involved in the day to day practices.  Past coaches could rant and rave, even yell and cuss at their teams and the players would just let it go in one ear and out the other.  Deep down they knew it was simply the coach blowing off frustrations and a tactic to get their attention for more focus.  Now you have to be very careful with your tone and words or you get demonized quickly.  This very much differs with each school.  What works at a Gate City, may cause an uproar in Big Stone Gap and vice-versa.  It comes down to that school's culture and each group of parents culture.  If that is the case with Bostic and his team, someone will have to be willing to change if they want to succeed.  Not necessarily for this situation but in general I am old school and personally think these kids need a little ass-chewing occasionally to motivate and steer them in the right direction.  And, I also personally think parents need to stop being so quick to raise hell every time their kid comes home complaining.  

I don't think kids are more emotional or resistant to tough coaching. I think a lot of coaches take high school ball way too seriously and ruin it for the kids. High school sports are supposed to be about good fun competition. 

19 hours ago, TheDuke said:

I don't think kids are more emotional or resistant to tough coaching. I think a lot of coaches take high school ball way too seriously and ruin it for the kids. High school sports are supposed to be about good fun competition. When a coach acts like it's the NBA and all that matters is winning, then a lot of kids are going to check out. I've seen it many times. Notice how some schools barely had 9 or 10 kids on a team last year, then the coach leaves and one of the fun coaches moves up and suddenly there are 15 kids on the team. That speaks volumes for what kids want out of high school sports, it's about having fun with your friends and competing to the best of your abilities.   Btw, I know nothing about the Union situation. Just offering another perspective. 

I have to disagree with a lot of that.  I have coached many youth teams, both boys and girls, and over the last 10 years it is very noticeable how things have changed.  Maybe not for all schools but for the consistently successful programs in the 80's/90's the coaches were typically hard-asses who demanded respect and held players accountable during practices and games.  Even today, the really successful programs like Gate City boys and Wise Central girls will have a much different standard those players have to live up to if they want to play.  These coaches can demand that because they have the community and administration support (and they have consistently won for many years).   I am also a firm believer that varsity athletes should be held to a higher standard than other extracurricular activities.  If you are looking for simple good fun competition, I would suggest numerous rec leagues and/or pick up leagues.  I do believe high schools sports should be fun but more with the pride and success on the field or court.  If players are looking more at just having fun with friends, they can do that anywhere.  You talk about what kids want out of high school sports, but have you considered what coaches want.  My belief is that coaches want respect and for their athletes to buy in to their philosophy for success.  I think they want players who are willing to do extra work on their own, have a team-first mentality, and strive to be coachable.  Coaches get paid very little even if they actually only worked during season.  To be successful, coaches have to be all-in for the program all year long.  When practices and games are over and the parents and players go out to eat and celebrate, the coach is probably already analyzing past and future games.  They are home watching film while their families are eating dinner and watching movies.  They make road trips to scout teams while everyone else hasn't thought twice about the next game yet.  But, I get it.  Just like criticizing officials, it's easy to sit in the stands and question every little thing coaches do.  I can't say that I haven't done that over the years but I try to keep reminding myself to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I am pretty sure I now know the example you are speaking of, and I know both coaches so I can assume by your comments that you were not a fan of the coach that left.  In my opinion, what makes a coach successful is not how likeable they are but rather their in-game knowledge, how they adapt to their situation each season, and how well they prepare their team in the off season.  I actually think the coach that left is a great coach but with that being said, sometimes the coach and their situation just don't mesh well which I think was the issue in this example.  I wish the best for both coaches in the future.  Time will tell if the "fun" coach is the better fit.

I don't have a kid on the team and I played football under Tom Turner I know what a hardazz

Coach is. But as I have got older I look back and realize that there is a difference between what Tom Turner done and what coaches that degrade kids do. As a coach the first person to blame for a bad season is yourself to many want admit that their bone head moves lost the games.