Washington County Schools

Hokie Bound

I remember Washington County being one of the lowest paying counties around when it came to teacher pay. Fast forward twenty years and Washington County has become one of if not the highest paying counties. Academics and athletics seem to be flourishing as a result. I've seen some good teachers and coaches leave nearby counties to make their way into Washington County. Also it seems as if they scored a huge victory in hiring Keith Perrigan as their new leader in Director of Schools. Personally, I have never met the man however one of Mr. Perrigan's good friends told me he would bring continued success to the county as he is a former coach and values the coaching profession. I wish them all the best as I do know several of the school board members and they are really good people.

• 2 weeks later...

16 hours ago, GMan said:

And your point???

I am just glad to see the county schools to be in good shape. I think Interstate 81 has contributed to help Washington, Smyth, and Wythe counties financially with industries wanting to be located near the interstate. My intent was definitely not to disrespect anyone or any schools in SWVA as our whole area is well represented in academics and athletics. I personally love the area we live in and I appreciate this website that you have kept running for years now. We have brought back several state titles and in multiple sports and I'm also glad to see a SWVA school in Graham  become the standard for 2A football.