Honoring the 9/11 Heroes Who Gave All

On the morning of 9/11/2001 it was a beautiful day, blue skies, white fluffy clouds, no thought of the evil that arose that day.  Our eyes were transfixed to the television screen as we saw the carnage floating down from the skies, the collapse of the twin towers.  A sea of terror we couldn't image happening.  The days following we were together, united as one people, one nation giving homage to the lost, the suffering.  There weren't boundaries of ethnicity to cross to mourn.  Our vision was as one for the hurting and loss, not the nation of origin.  

This past Friday I was honored to see the same kind of day birthed;  blue skies, white fluffy clouds   as family came together to remember and honor my brother, a Korean War Veteran with a graveside memorial.  The steel blue casket had the Navy emblem on one bottom corner, the eagle and flag on another bottom corner.   The flag draping over the casket was removed and folded to exact specifications and given lovely to his daughter.  The sailor knelt down and said "This is presented to you in honor of your Father's service to our country."  We gathered as one, from different walks of life.  There was a message, singers, guitars, tears, laughter, enveloped by the nucleus of love for our brother, Dad, grandfather.  As the service proceeded you could hear jets approaching.  The sound got closer and closer.  In the blue blue sky and white fluffy clouds, appeared two fighter jets and they did a flyover.  It was one of the greatest things I have ever witnessed and how it touched our lives.  The family didn't request it and we aren't sure how it came about.  His daughter talking the day before said "I wish there would be a flyover for Daddy."  I told her "God hears our whispers."  

On this 9/11 day of 2023,   I pray there were flyovers, flags raised, singing, tears, laughter and most of all a nucleus of love as we honor the lives that were lost,  and the lives given in rescue of the fallen.    

AMEN!!!!