After a few games, what's your thoughts

pakdastands

1 hour ago, Elder statesman said:

On the boys side, Union and Ridgeview have started off better than I would have anticipated.  Gate City is pretty much what I expected.  Abingdon is still unpredictable, just don't know what you will get.  Central and Battle are looking to be mid pack teams.  Lee is scrappy but not enough talent to contend.

Outside the M7, Va High is up and down depending on shots falling.  They will run you to death but they must hit three's to win.  Marion seems to be doing pretty good so far.  Haven't seen much from Tazewell and Graham to compare.

Patrick Henry, Honaker, and Lebanon look to be starting in the right direction for 1A.

As predicted, the M7 girls will be a 3 team race with Wise holding the edge until beaten and Ridgeview/Abingdon aiming for the bullseye.  Gate City will depend on big numbers from Carico to succeed.  Union may be better than I thought and may give Gate City a go.  With Lee and Battle, I give the edge to Lee.  After a weak start in the Wise tournament, they shot well against Abingdon and made the game closer than most expected.  Hammonds at Lee and Kelley at Battle are very similar players but the difference will be depth and I think Lee has more in that regard.  

Outside the M7 I only see VA High then Marion as the top teams but they won't beat out Wise and Ridgeview in the post season.

1A is gonna be a dogfight between Honaker and Eastside.  I think Honaker has the edge this season.  They played a tight game against Carroll County already and Eastside is still looking to get back to last season's form.  

Lebanon is back in 2a

2 hours ago, Elder statesman said:

On the boys side, Union and Ridgeview have started off better than I would have anticipated.  Gate City is pretty much what I expected.  Abingdon is still unpredictable, just don't know what you will get.  Central and Battle are looking to be mid pack teams.  Lee is scrappy but not enough talent to contend.

Outside the M7, Va High is up and down depending on shots falling.  They will run you to death but they must hit three's to win.  Marion seems to be doing pretty good so far.  Haven't seen much from Tazewell and Graham to compare.

Patrick Henry, Honaker, and Lebanon look to be starting in the right direction for 1A.

As predicted, the M7 girls will be a 3 team race with Wise holding the edge until beaten and Ridgeview/Abingdon aiming for the bullseye.  Gate City will depend on big numbers from Carico to succeed.  Union may be better than I thought and may give Gate City a go.  With Lee and Battle, I give the edge to Lee.  After a weak start in the Wise tournament, they shot well against Abingdon and made the game closer than most expected.  Hammonds at Lee and Kelley at Battle are very similar players but the difference will be depth and I think Lee has more in that regard.  

Outside the M7 I only see VA High then Marion as the top teams but they won't beat out Wise and Ridgeview in the post season.

1A is gonna be a dogfight between Honaker and Eastside.  I think Honaker has the edge this season.  They played a tight game against Carroll County already and Eastside is still looking to get back to last season's form.  

Definitely agree with you about the Mountain 7.  On the girls side, I thought Abingdon would be the top team at the start of the season due to Trivette, but after watching them play in the Wise tournament and then again against Lee, I feel like they will be 3rd.  Coaching will hold them back.  Union and Gate City will battle for 4th and 5th.  As long as Lee shoots the ball well, we can definitely finish 6th and possibly steal one from either Gate City or Union.  Told my daughter before the game with Abingdon that if they held it under 30, then that would be considered a win.  Definitely wasn’t expecting an 81-67 final.  With the size mismatch, Trivette should have had 40+

20 minutes ago, jwgarrett20 said:

Definitely agree with you about the Mountain 7.  On the girls side, I thought Abingdon would be the top team at the start of the season due to Trivette, but after watching them play in the Wise tournament and then again against Lee, I feel like they will be 3rd.  Coaching will hold them back.  Union and Gate City will battle for 4th and 5th.  As long as Lee shoots the ball well, we can definitely finish 6th and possibly steal one from either Gate City or Union.  Told my daughter before the game with Abingdon that if they held it under 30, then that would be considered a win.  Definitely wasn’t expecting an 81-67 final.  With the size mismatch, Trivette should have had 40+

you may be right with Abindgon.  From what I have seen, the team is at most 6 or 7 deep but the coach subs too many at a time especially before they can get a comfortable lead.  That and he's always been owned by Robin Dotson.

I watched Lee at the Wise tournament and watched them play Abingdon on NFHS.  Their girls were relentless and had no fear.  They shot numerous perimeter shots with a defender reasonably close and knocked them down.  If those shots are falling, they will cruise past Battle and possibly pull an upset with Gate City or Union along the way.  I think the top 3 teams just have too much for Lee to overcome.

2 hours ago, jwgarrett20 said:

you hit the nail on the head,   abingdon's coach is not able to coach up to trivette's talents!!!  he doesn't have a clue what he is doing!!

18 hours ago, jwgarrett20 said:

If you don't think kids don't have to get babied at other schools, then you have your head in the sand.  It's definitely not something that pertains to only Lee County schools.  Robin Dotson has to baby his star player because daddy wants her to set the VHSL scoring record, and he is the most successful girls basketball coach in SWVA.  Numerous examples of that throughout all of SWVA, on both the girls and boys side.

Also, there is no way in the world Lee County could be the business center of SWVA.  Just because land is available doesn't mean that it could be developed for business use.  Farm land and mountains doesn't equal business boom.

Shots fired...

11 hours ago, Elder statesman said:

you may be right with Abindgon.  From what I have seen, the team is at most 6 or 7 deep but the coach subs too many at a time especially before they can get a comfortable lead.  That and he's always been owned by Robin Dotson.

I watched Lee at the Wise tournament and watched them play Abingdon on NFHS.  Their girls were relentless and had no fear.  They shot numerous perimeter shots with a defender reasonably close and knocked them down.  If those shots are falling, they will cruise past Battle and possibly pull an upset with Gate City or Union along the way.  I think the top 3 teams just have too much for Lee to overcome.

Everybody has been owned by Robin Dotson lol.  

Lee should have won two games at the Wise tournament, but they couldn't hit shots and didn't defend well.  Since then, the defensive intensity has ramped up a little and shots have started to fall.  Still a very young team with Hammonds being the only senior.  2 juniors, 4 sophomores, and 3 freshmen make up the rest of the squad.  Our lack of size really hurts us.  But the girls hustle and play hard.