After a few games, what's your thoughts

pakdastands

Union has proved me wrong. I didn't expect the performances they have shown Friday & Saturday.

-Friday night they played Mount Mission (5-2 at the time) @ UVA Wise. The Bears come in with zero games under their belt and only had 9 practices.

Bears win 78-75

Saturday night Sullivan East (5-3) came to the Bear Den. Dreaded this one, knowing they had dead legs. Bears were down 18-0 at the end of 1st quarter. Yes, Zero.

Bears win 58-53

Paul Huff will be back on the court this week or next, and hopefully Bunch's injury isn't as bad as they think and he will be cleared to play.

37 minutes ago, BSG Historian said:

Union returned all 5 starters. Not sure why people were/are down on them. Outside of Abingdon, they beat everyone last year in the M7.

Incorrect, they returned 4 starters and now have a completely new coach with a different philosophy. Wild card in my opinion. 

Union moved to 3-0 tonight after a very physical win over Honaker 41-38! The boys played hard and I think will surprise quite a few people this year! They are lacking on size down low, but props to Carlos Anderson on a heck of a game against a bigger guy from Honaker!

Bears win another close one, 41-38 over Honaker. Wasn't very pretty basketball but a W is a W. Union was able to get out in transition just enough to win. Bears have a serious rebounding problem, when the younger Anderson went out with foul trouble tonight, Honaker took control of the game inside. Union is going to have to get more rebounding out of it's guards.

59 minutes ago, BSG Historian said:

Bears win another close one, 41-38 over Honaker. Wasn't very pretty basketball but a W is a W. Union was able to get out in transition just enough to win. Bears have a serious rebounding problem, when the younger Anderson went out with foul trouble tonight, Honaker took control of the game inside. Union is going to have to get more rebounding out of it's guards.

Was this a home or away game?

17 hours ago, BSG Historian said:

First time I've seen them was last night and couldn't believe how small they are.  Gonna have to play good D and out hustle everyone to have a good season

Union's boy's basketball team is collectively very quick and experienced. They are off to a good start which will build up their confidence. Lack of height may be a limiting factor but Charles Barkley said "rebounding and defense are all about desire" and, I think Wes Unseld said, rebounding is 25% tall but 75% gall.

If anyone is looking for a good basketball game to go to tmrw. Honaker and Lebanon play at Lebanon. In the past three years Lebanon leads the series 4-3 with all three losses coming at home. That plus all the transfers between the two schools has just added gas to the fire. Should be an electric atmosphere at the Mecca on Friday night

After a few games what are my thoughts?  My thoughts are that anyone who goes to coach in Lee County better be from Lee County.  I think anyone outside of Lee County who would go to work and try to coach in Lee County who wasn't from there and had to baby somebody's kid all the time because they didn't get their way I think they would be the stupidest person on the face of the earth to work there.  

Lee County, Virginia - One of the absolute most beautiful places on the earth.  Could be the business center of Southwest Virginia with all the land that is available.   Just one problem....its inhabited by a bunch of morons.  I'm sorry... not everyone there is a moron.  Just those who still believe that Jonesville and Pennington still exist as high schools and who believe that its the name that wins games and not teams.  (Mic dropped.)

41 minutes ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

After a few games what are my thoughts?  My thoughts are that anyone who goes to coach in Lee County better be from Lee County.  I think anyone outside of Lee County who would go to work and try to coach in Lee County who wasn't from there and had to baby somebody's kid all the time because they didn't get their way I think they would be the stupidest person on the face of the earth to work there.  

Lee County, Virginia - One of the absolute most beautiful places on the earth.  Could be the business center of Southwest Virginia with all the land that is available.   Just one problem....its inhabited by a bunch of morons.  I'm sorry... not everyone there is a moron.  Just those who still believe that Jonesville and Pennington still exist as high schools and who believe that its the name that wins games and not teams.  (Mic dropped.)

powerful parents, lol, just baby the kid.

It's always been a sleeping giant as far as talent and athletes.  They've had more success in the past couple of years in several sports than they've seen in while.  I think most places in SWVA have similar issues with numbers, daddy ball mentality, poverty, etc.  The Western end of Lee is by far one of the most beautiful areas around.  Very little infrastructure to be had there, but definitely a lot of area.  One of the biggest counties East to West in the state.  Dead Horse: 2 school campuses East and West would've been better for everyone but for whatever reason it wasn't in the cards in the late 80s.  Hope they can continue to get better, the district and region are a lot more fun when most teams are competitive.

1 hour ago, Stelley said:

If anyone is looking for a good basketball game to go to tmrw. Honaker and Lebanon play at Lebanon. In the past three years Lebanon leads the series 4-3 with all three losses coming at home. That plus all the transfers between the two schools has just added gas to the fire. Should be an electric atmosphere at the Mecca on Friday night

Actually Lebanon won at home in 2021 on a buzzer beater 

18 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

Actually Lebanon won at home in 2021 on a buzzer beater 

You’re right I forgot abt that. Pretty sure that was by lambert which was his freshman year. Probably forgot abt that due to the fact it was covid year

2 hours ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

If you don't think kids don't have to get babied at other schools, then you have your head in the sand.  It's definitely not something that pertains to only Lee County schools.  Robin Dotson has to baby his star player because daddy wants her to set the VHSL scoring record, and he is the most successful girls basketball coach in SWVA.  Numerous examples of that throughout all of SWVA, on both the girls and boys side.

Also, there is no way in the world Lee County could be the business center of SWVA.  Just because land is available doesn't mean that it could be developed for business use.  Farm land and mountains doesn't equal business boom.

1 hour ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

It's always been a sleeping giant as far as talent and athletes.  They've had more success in the past couple of years in several sports than they've seen in while.  I think most places in SWVA have similar issues with numbers, daddy ball mentality, poverty, etc.  The Western end of Lee is by far one of the most beautiful areas around.  Very little infrastructure to be had there, but definitely a lot of area.  One of the biggest counties East to West in the state.  Dead Horse: 2 school campuses East and West would've been better for everyone but for whatever reason it wasn't in the cards in the late 80s.  Hope they can continue to get better, the district and region are a lot more fun when most teams are competitive.

Nobody from the western end of Lee County was interested in any type of change, especially one that would close Thomas Walker.  That was it wasn't in the cards when Lee High was created in the late 80s.  There was a proposal similar to what you suggested, but it was shot down quickly from that end of the county.

On the boys side, Union and Ridgeview have started off better than I would have anticipated.  Gate City is pretty much what I expected.  Abingdon is still unpredictable, just don't know what you will get.  Central and Battle are looking to be mid pack teams.  Lee is scrappy but not enough talent to contend.

Outside the M7, Va High is up and down depending on shots falling.  They will run you to death but they must hit three's to win.  Marion seems to be doing pretty good so far.  Haven't seen much from Tazewell and Graham to compare.

Patrick Henry, Honaker, and Lebanon look to be starting in the right direction for 1A.

As predicted, the M7 girls will be a 3 team race with Wise holding the edge until beaten and Ridgeview/Abingdon aiming for the bullseye.  Gate City will depend on big numbers from Carico to succeed.  Union may be better than I thought and may give Gate City a go.  With Lee and Battle, I give the edge to Lee.  After a weak start in the Wise tournament, they shot well against Abingdon and made the game closer than most expected.  Hammonds at Lee and Kelley at Battle are very similar players but the difference will be depth and I think Lee has more in that regard.  

Outside the M7 I only see VA High then Marion as the top teams but they won't beat out Wise and Ridgeview in the post season.

1A is gonna be a dogfight between Honaker and Eastside.  I think Honaker has the edge this season.  They played a tight game against Carroll County already and Eastside is still looking to get back to last season's form.