Sarge Reed passes

1inStripes

To me a legend in the area.  Sarge was a long time assistant for Harry Fry at Gate City.  In the late 70s he took over as the lead Dawg at Appalachia stepping down in 79 after a 7-3 campaign handing the keys to Tom Turner to take over.  Sarge then took over the Rye Cove program in 83 and got the broke on the brink of a state title in 88.  RC had defeated Jonesville at Jonesville near the end of the regular season before losing to the Dogs in a mud bowl in the region finals during the improbable run for the crew from Jonesville.  Sarge stepped out of coaching after 1990 but returned to the Cove in 97.   He was to be he HC but took the assistant title instead so a former player, Joe Carter could be the HC.   Sarge still ran almost everything for the program for the next three years which were some of the programs winningest teams.   He took over the Twin Springs program in 2003 as they were coming out of a really rough stretch.  I asked him why he was heading up there.  Coach told me he liked a challenge and had coached at GC and RC, he might as well mark off the last county school before he retired for good. Coach stepped down after only two seasons.  He led TS to two of their programs three region final games during those two years.

Coach Reed wasnt flashy.  He wore the same clothes to practice everyday and its hard to tell how many miles had been put on his 80s Thunderbird.  He expected you to be physical as he said he only felt like he had lost two ballgames when his teams were the most physical one on the field.  The playbook wasn't super deep on either side of the ball but like the nickname "Sarge" practice was drilled like military over and over to run things to perfection.  He commanded respect but showed his "bigguns" a lot of love over the years.  RIP to a SWVA coaching legend in my book.