Powell Valley @ Giles

mountainman63

This is a good matchup. The pre-season hype had Powell Valley with a huge line. Line play, we havent been challenged all year, so maybe this will be our 1st even matchup. A lot of PV fans have been talking about how PV can defend the wing. The thing about that is, nearly every team uses the same scheme over and over to defend us. Its a 100 year old offense, the schemes have been used for years. PV has just had the atheletes to get the job done. This year, Giles has the most physical team we have ever had. The best line ever, the best defense ever, a good running game and passing game. A lot of emotion will be riding on this game, with the outcome of the last meeting. I have respect for the PV program, and I know they will come to play. I just think if our boys play to full potential, they will come out on top.

The single wing, field conditions, and crowd manners at Giles, are all throw backs to the bronze age. But they do give the Spartans one of the biggest home field advantages in SWVA. It will be very difficult for Powell Valley to win, but the Vikings are athletic, deep, and do have very good team speed. Giles has won 3 state championships and Powell Valley has won 8 titles - so the match up certainly showcases two of our regions finest HS football programs.

P.V.'s line is not that big at all. I thought Clintwood did a good job early of showing that on both sides of the ball. If one had to say that P.V. had a weak spot it would probably be the line. They have great receivers, good back, and a sensational QB, but the line is not that good on either side of the ball.

The Viking linemen have taken some heat from the spoiled PV fans this year. Coach Robbins' success has established high expectations - it's a program where a 9-3 season & Regional Championship may be considered by some a disappointment. But I see a lot of positives from the line. First, it's led by all-state senior center J Neeley 6' 1" 275 lbs. Fraley and Bentley have become exceptional blockers. Also, it features great depth. No one must go both ways - althought sometimes Neeley & Fraley do. If you saw the Honaker game, you understand the PV line. Honaker's big linemen played about two quarters before they were completely spent. I don't consider Wes Isom, @ 240lbs, small for defensive end! It may be fair to say the line is not the best in Viking history - but that's some history.

This could possibly be the best line at Giles ever. Both ways. Size, strength, quickness. Most games are won and lost at the line. Giles 2 biggest strengths are the "D" and the kicking game. Cody Journell, the soph. kicker, in the Lebanon game had 7 kick-offs. 5 into the end-zone. One fielded short of the zone and returned to the 17, better off letting it go to end- zone. And one off a front guys helmet that Cody recovered himself. Giles 2 corners are the best we've ever had at one time. Both cover well, have speed, and most important of all, taclke very well.I'll favor Giles in this one probably around 31-14.

After the PV game Saturday, I sat and watched first quarter with some of my cousins. Someone sitting with us has a son in law who coaches at Lebanon. He says Giles is good but if PV sticks with the passing then they may come out with the win. PV knows how to defend the single wing. But Giles seems to be physical and hungry for their second win in the series against PV and angry about the late TD pass that was blamed on padding stats and running up the score but the pass was not intended to be a TD. But Giles is still mad.

This will be a dog fight. I am confident that PV can stop Giles. It will be close. It all depends on PV's line, passing game, and defense.

PV wins 28 to 27. Last play of the game the score is 28 to 21 in favor of PV but Giles scores and the 2 point conversion fails.

Neither team can afford to overlook the other.

[ QUOTE ]

If one had to say that P.V. had a weak spot it would probably be the line. They have great receivers, good back, and a sensational QB, but the line is not that good on either side of the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

The single wing will expose it even more on Saturday, if their line is truly the kink in the armor.

If Giles kicks away to Powell Valley, they don't want the ball getting to Lawson or Pinkston. The Vikings can score on kicking plays, as they have several times this year. If the game is a track meet, the Vikes will win. I look for squib kicks or kicks out of bounds from Giles (as most teams have used against the Vikings this season.) I think Giles will want to use good field position and good D to stop the Vikings - and not gamble too much early.

I watched Lebanon's HS football team play twice this season. They had a good team but I do not believe they would have been very competitive with Powell Valley. Giles' rout of Lebanon is not a good test case for predicting the Giles/PV game.

I think Giles will beat the Vikings on Saturday but I believe it will be a different sort of game than Lebanon vs Giles. Field position and turnovers decide the outcome with a final score something like 28 to 14.

If Giles can kickoff to the end zone, it will negate runbacks and factor into the struggle for field position. Starting on offense from the 20 yard line does impact play calling - especially a team that likes to pass as much as the Vikings. But I'll have to witness the Spartans kicking away to believe it - when other quality Viking opponents, like Breathitt County and J I Burton, got burned and altered their kicking plans.

Most of Giles' kicks went into then OUT of the end-zone last week. Only short KO was with under a minute left in the half - that had to be on purpose.

Their D-line was all over Lebanon's backfield - I'd guess less than half of the plays in the 1st half resulted in gains of over a yard. Most of the time the Pioneers broke through the Giles O-line was because they were supposed to - designed screens or away from the play when the guard or tackle pulled.

The biggest problem I saw was a HUGE difference in their YAC's (contact). Lebanon wasn't very good at bringing down the guys they got their hands on. IF PV can tackle, they should still be in it in the 4th q.

You need to take into consideration that Lebanon's QB and tailback both came into the game with sprained ankles. Jessee came out early in the 2nd quarter and tried to play one series in the 2nd half, Musick played very little. Lebanon played most of the game with a soph. QB and tailback with very little playing time during the regular season. Giles would have won regardless but with a healthy QB, the pass was there. Of course it being Lebanon and our predictable play calling, Lebanon rarely threw a pass. The picks against Lebanon were on Jessee with a very bad sprained ankle, Martin did'nt have a pick on him and both combined threw for over 100 yards with an undersized line. Powell Valley can and will throw..........this game could be interesting with Giles having their hands full but still winning. Regardless of what the Giles fans say, you can throw on them and if you spread them out the Powell Valley QB can run. I'm not trying to start anything here, just an observation from watching both teams play.

I felt Clintwood did a good job of pressuring Mitchell early in the game and it cause him to rush his throws. Clintwoods DB's did o.k. early and you should expect Giles to be more athletic than what Clintwood was, plus Giles has played against Williams Campbell this year and they may have lost but it is not like they have not seen the spread.

A strong pass rush against Mitchell has been the approach most of Powell Valley's opponents have taken - and I agree it is the best way to attach PV's passing game. But, it is a gamble that can, and most often has, backfired this season. Mitchell can run and there have been many long TD passes when the blitz didn't get to Cedric in time. I believe Powell Valley's best chance will be a wild wide open game with some big plays and broken plays. An all out pass rush may work but it also may result in a game of wild plays for the Viking O. I look for both some sacks and some big gains coming from a Giles blitz. I still think Giles may play it close to the vest on D and let a strong offensive ground game eat up time and the clock. Let me add that Coach Robbins will try to establish a running game & if the Vikings are able to move the ball on the ground, the game will stay close.