Southwest District vs. Highlands District

GMan

<font color="800000"> For the first time in years the Southwest District and the Highlands District played a round-robin schedule (with the exception of Lee High who refuses to play anyone unless they have too). The SWD went 13-3 in these head to head matchups...Carroll Co. went 3-0, Graham went 3-0, Grundy went 3-0, Richlands went 4-0 (the only SWD team to play Lee), and Tazewell went 0-3.

Since there has been talk of combining the two districts over the last couple of years (and possibly in the future), I extrapolated these results into what the final district standings would have looked like if the two districts combined this season. And since Lee didn't play any of the SWD teams except Richlands, plus having seen them play against Bluefield, I projected the results of their games against SWD schools if they did play. Here is how things would have looked...

Graham 8-0

Carroll Co. 7-1

Richlands 5-3

Grundy 5-3

Abingdon 4-4

Marion 3-5

Virginia 2-6

Tazewelll 2-6

Lee 0-8

If the two districts had combined into one, the SWD teams would have occupied the top 4 spots in the district. Abingdon, the Highlands District Champs, would have finished in the middle of the pack at #5.

</font>

GMan, you are right Lee is terrible but I can assure you they don't refuse to play teams. They travel all over to play anyone that will schedule them. If fact, I believe Graham decided to drop Lee after they went to Ben Hur and lost during their State Championship season of 1995. Moreover, the teams split their 4 games during the 92-95 series. Lee is probably the worst team in Southwest Virginia but I can assure you they've never dodged anyone. Their success during the first few years of the school forced them to play what was the toughest schedule in SWVA for many years. Presently, they have to play district games but with non-conference games such as Powell Valley, Gate City, and Bluefield and Richlands it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they do not have a padded schedule.

<font color="800000">What I don't get though is they refused to schedule Graham this year due to travel yet they scheduled Bluefield...go figure!!! Anyway, I'm glad Graham didn't play them...beating up on a weak team doesn't earn many VHSL rating points! </font>

GMan, from what I understand Lee had already committed to playing Bluefield. Thus, they didn't want to make two trips up there or travel there consecutive years. One could hardly blame them considering their scheduling woes and the program's huge drop off.

<font color="800000"> Bluefield didn't get Lee on their schedule until LATE, just before schedules were due at the WVSSAC. They only had eight games at the time and were desperately looking for anyone, from anywhere. The round-robin format between the SWD and the HD was discussed and agreed upon at the Spring Region meeting a year earlier. That was also the same meeting that they discussed combining the two districts. Lee was the one who "opted out" of the agreement.</font>

I beleive you are right Gman.. I also beleive that Carrol County was another school that didn't want to combined.. I know there's alot of miles between Lee County and Carrol County. That brings up my next question... Why is Carrol in the SWD anyway?? Why are they not in a district closer to their school, like in the roanoke area? Are they scared of William Fleming, Byrd, Salem, Blacksburg, Pulaski, etc.?? smirk.gif or, why don't they try to enter the Piedmont District next year when it loses 2 teams with the consolidation? Correct me if I am wrong but, wouldn't it would be a closer trip to martinsville, magna vista-laurel park, fieldale-bassett,than going to Graham or Tazewell... And tunstall and dan river would be closer than going to richlands and grundy.. I think this would be a great resolution for carrol considering no one in the SWD likes them anyway blush.gif As for Lee I don't think Gate City or Powell Valley would mind if they dropped to single A and joined the Lonesome Pine District. That would take care of Lee's travel issues. What would be wrong with this scenario? Trust me, I don't claim to be a rocket scientist by no means.. You can probably tell that by my spelling and grammer.. but does anyone agree with me that this would be a good solution to this problem. If this happens, it would almost be like the old days when the highlands didn't exist.. And the old SWD was a great district with, what was it? 9 teams? I was just a pup in those days. If Lee and Carrol would leave then Graham, Grundy, Richlands, Tazewell, Abingdon, Virginia High, and Marion could reunite and make up the new Southwest District. However, if it did happen I hope the Highlands teams would agree to drop their district name and keep the SOUTHWEST DISTRICT's name. That would only be fair considering they were the schools that left in the first place. When you are a member of the Southwest District you are part of a football rich tradition and that's why I think they should keep that name. Well that all for now.. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks.. I'm out like a fat guy playing dodgeball... peace, deuce cool.gif

If you ever drive across Lover's Leap on Rt. 58 between Hillsville and Stuart, you'll know why Carroll County doesn't want to play in Piedmont District. Going to Grundy and Richlands might be longer distance-wise but at least the drive covers two interstates and 460.

As for Carroll County being in the River Ridge, that could have been possible prior to the start of this season, but they backed out at the last minute because of the uncertainty over how the Blue Ridge split would take place. From what I understand they were worried that the district they would end up in would NOT contain Blacksburg, Christiansburg and Pulaski County. At one time there was talk of splitting the Blue Ridge by enrollment, which may have kept all four of the New River area teams from being in the same district.