On VaPreps.... ? about Region IV

ProudBengal

Just wanted to give you guys from SWVA a chance to respond to the following on VaPreps. Not the comment about Bassett and Amherst, but the comment on our Region.

The Truth Sayer

how crazy would it be...

if Bassett somehow found a way to beat Amherst? On a similar note, why is Region IV always so weak?

http://virginiapreps.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=914&fid=150

Region IV Div.3 is much stronger then Region III Div.3 This year.

Richlands will roll over Hidden Valley

Graham would beat Hidden Valley as of today.

Tazwell would beat Hidden Valley.

I think Va High offensively, would give Hidden Valley all they wanted.

Region IV Div.4 is down!

Region III Div.4 is never down, it's way to competitive to be down and it's filled with talent through out.

Amherst will win easily this weekend.

Thanks for your input, I believe that we have been hearing that from everyone about this Saturday. I hate to remind you, but Martinsville won at Graham, so that means that Martinsville should be able to handle everyone that you mentioned right?? or wait, maybe even that means that we might be able to hang with everyone that you mentioned. Just 2 short years ago, we lost to a good Richlands team at Richlands (7-6) when our kicker lost his footing on a field goal attempt late in the game.

I guess we shouldn't even show up on Saturday if it were up to everyone outside of Bassett. No one ever gives us a chance in playoff games, but we just keep on advancing. Amherst is probably the most athletic, talented, and overrall solid team in the state since their loss to GW Danville. Stranger things have happened, and just once I would like for the nature and forces of the game to see us through this game since we are considered to be "A JV game" for them.

Amherst has a great program, and maybe would have won the state title last year. All I know is that life is full of opportunities, and I guess we are fortunate enough to have our opportunity Saturday (though no one else sees it that way).

This is high school football, you never know what teenage kids are going to do, that's why you play the game.

NO! Martinsville beat Graham Early in the season and it was a close game. I dout very serious Martinsville would want to play Graham today. Just ask Richlands how far Graham has come this year.

Those that lost to Graham would have loved to have played them early in the season.

Tazwell was playing good enough to beat any team in Region III Div.3 as well. They fumbled their playoff game away and gave themselves no chance to win.

Va High can score! They are just very young, they will have 8-9 starters back on defense next year with 6 coming back on offense. I didn't say Va High would beat Hidden Valley I said Offensively, they would give them all they wanted.

I know what is in Region III Div.4. I was at JF for 3 years. I know what Amherst has and I know what you have at Bassett.

You do not have the over all team speed nor the size to beat Amherst. Plain & Simple!

If you pull it off great and good for the Bassett program. But no one that I recall on here has said that Bassett was a JV team.

OK, now I see, Martinsville didn't improve a lick from that game they had early in the season at Graham. With all due respect to Graham (they have a tremendous program), I guess the brand of ball we play in Region IV and for that matter the Piedmont District, just flat out "sucks".

I keep forgetting that Magna Vista beat (AAA - GW Danville & Franklin County, 2005 A State Champion - William Campbell)

Martinsville won at Graham, Handled Rustburg

Lost close contests to AAA Halifax County & Franklin County.

Bottom line, comparing scores doesn't make a hill of beans. It depends on the 2 teams that show up for that particular game and how things transpire. Amherst is a very formidable opponent (probably one of if not the best team in the state right now), kinda like a David vs. Goliath situation. All we can do is show up, do what we do, and hope for the best on Saturday. If a few of you guys wouldn't mind, say a few prayers for Region IV on Saturday.

[ QUOTE ]

OK, now I see, Martinsville didn't improve a lick from that game they had early in the season at Graham. With all due respect to Graham (they have a tremendous program), I guess the brand of ball we play in Region IV and for that matter the Piedmont District, just flat out "sucks".

I keep forgetting that Magna Vista beat (AAA - GW Danville & Franklin County, 2005 A State Champion - William Campbell)

Martinsville won at Graham, Handled Rustburg

Lost close contests to AAA Halifax County & Franklin County.

[/ QUOTE ]

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY PIEDMONT!

RUSTBURG ISN'T THAT GOOD EITHER, ALWAYS NEAR THE BOTTOM OF THE SEMINOLE DISTRICT!

HONETSLY!?

NO, MARTINSVILLE HASN'T GOTTEN BETTER SINCE GRAHAM IMO!

<u>MARTINSVILLE SCHEDULE</u>

9/1 @ Graham 24-17

9/8 Rustburg 23-7

9/15 OPEN

9/22 Halifax County 15-18

9/29 Franklin County 20-27

10/6 Gretna 20-21

10/13 @ Magna Vista 34-6

10/20 Dan River 35-8

10/27 @ Patrick County 42-21

11/3 @ Tunstall 37-7

11/10 Bassett 18-21 OT

11/17 Carroll Co.* 32-7

11/24 Bassett** 21-28

HALIFAX & FRANKLIN CO. ARE BELOW AVERAGE AAA TEAMS

GRETNA 21-20 CREDIT THERE, I WILL ADMIT!

MAGNA VISTA IS WAY DOWN! NOT THE MAGNA VISTA TEAM OF OLD!!

DAN RIVER & PATRICK CO.& TUNSTALL ARE TERRIBLE!!!

Guest old_school

The way I look at it; if you are still in it then you are one of the top 8 AA teams in the state. That's just my take on it. It doesn't matter how you got there just that you are still playing. After this weekend it will be down to four.

I agree but the best 8 don't always make it and anyone with good sense knows that! haha

For that matter sometimes the best TEAM don't always win the state title! For example in 1997 when Gate City won it all. Jefferson Forest was the best team hands down but the ball didn't bounce JF's way. GC 17-JF 15

Then in 1996 and 1999 GC had the better team and Brookville beat them both times in Lynchburg 13-12 & 21-14.

There are other examples around the state I'm sure but those are just a couple right off the top of my head.

Shoot...From 1992 through 2003, Gate City was in 9 game 13's! 3 of those being Single Div.2 and 6 in AA. They only won 2 State Titles!

Guest old_school

It's all about momentum at this time of the year and as long as a team can stay close the ball may bounce their way. Just like the games you pointed out. I was just saying that if you are still left playing then you have some talent. Any team can win/lose a game and in the end the best or luckiest team will win the state title. It's hard to give Bassett a chance against Amherst but you never know. Ask Grundy about Va High, sometimes things just happen.

Halifax was a playoff team in AAA, and lost a close game. They are far from below average. Martinsville did not lose by more than 7 points the whole season. The Graham Martinsville game was not that close and we killed Carroll playing every player on our team! Good luck Basset. Congrats on a great season!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

The Graham Martinsville game was not that close

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm how about Martinsville 24-17 Graham there bud!

Get your facts straight at least there bud! haha

HALIFAX lost to Colonial Forge 28-21. Colonial Forge is having a good year and is also a average team! Normally that area is controlled by Massaponax who graduated a lot of seniors and had a down year.

Colonial Forge went on to lose their tail 59-7 in the Regional Title game. Like I said Massaponax who is in Colonial Forges District normally represents that area and was down. Colonial Forge and Halifax both average even at 8-2.

Last year Massaponax killed Halifax in the 1st round.

MAGNA VISTA

2006 Schedule

Date Opponent Result (7 - 4) overall

8/25 OPEN

9/1 William Fleming 7-13

9/8 @ Franklin County 14-10

9/15 William Campbell 24-19

9/22 Reidsville, NC 7-21

9/29 OPEN

10/6 @ George Washington 7-0

10/13 Martinsville 6-34

10/20 @ Tunstall 15-13

10/27 @ Bassett 26-7

11/3 Patrick County 35-6

11/10 @ Dan River 36-0

11/17 Bassett* 0-20

2005 Schedule

Date Opponent Result (7 - 5) overall

8/26 OPEN

9/2 @ William Fleming 16-8

9/9 Franklin Co. 17-35

9/16 @ William Campbell 21-20

9/23 @ Reidsville, NC 6-43

9/30 OPEN

10/7 George Washington 19-26 3OT

10/14 @ Martinsville 28-14

10/21 Tunstall 34-19

10/28 Bassett 8-26

11/4 @ Patrick Co. 36-0

11/11 Dan River 41-6

11/18 Carroll Co.* 34-14

11/25 @ Bassett** 27-33 2OT

I'm sure that the competition that they have had the last 2 seasons has nothing to do with their "down seasons". Obviously you know nothing about Reidsville, GW Danville, William Fleming, etc.

Also, I'm sure that the people of Halifax [(8-3) & lost in 1st round of playoffs] and Franklin Counties (6-4)appreciate your assesment of their programs.

Oh just forget it, you are right, you can play your single a schedule and we will just continue to beat each other up in our cupcake district and cupcake non-district schedules.

PS I seem to recall that a Laurel Park (a team full of undersized players, but with unmeasureable heart) team that won either 3 or 4 games in this particular season defeated a Jefferson Forrest team that literally blew them out the previous season. Just thought I would throw that little tid bit in for you. You just never know.

I know all about GW DANVILLE!

Always really good early in the season only to fall at the end! haha

William Fleming will win their district every year because its weak!

They are going back to AAA soon!

Halifax lost to another average AAA team in Colonial Forge, who lost to 59-7 in their next game! Read the previous post!! haha

Virginia High does not play a single a schedule!

August 17 Patrick Henry Home A

August 23 Sullivan Central Home AAAA

August 31 John Battle Away A

September 7 OPEN

September 14 Tennessee Away AAAA

September 21 Chilhowie Away A

September 28 Gate City Away A

October 5 Honaker Home A

October 12 Lebanon Home A

October 19 Abingdon Home AA

October 26 Marion Home AA

November 2 Lee Away A but should be AA

[ QUOTE ]

Was the GW that Magna Vista beat, the same team that beat Amherst this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

In uniform probably! LOL

But GW DANVILE always comes out like gang busters only to fade as the year goes on. But this year they had a good year going 9-1 only to lose in 1st round 26-7 to WOODBRIDGE.

GW DANILLE had 4 turnovers in a muddly sloppy mess.

Magna Vista scored early on a 55 yard run before it got too bad

GAME STATS

G.W. MV

First Downs 12 7

Rushes-Yds 28-45 42-157

Pass YDs 134 32

C-A-I 10-33-2 1-10-0

Total Yards 179 189

Penalties-Yds. 2-10 3-20

Turnovers 4 1

http://www.gwfootball.com/last6-06.htm

Sorry, I wasn't good in math, but I think that I count 6 single A opponents on that schedule (assuming that August 17th is a scrimmage). Look at the addition to my previous post on Magna Vista.

I give up, the whole Piedmont and Western Valley districts are just pathetic.

DIDN'T SAY THEY ARE PATHETIC BRO!

I said early on they are down THIS YEAR! You have taken it as if someone smacked your mom or something! haha

Relax!

1st is a scrimmage

There are 6 Single A and 2 AAAA, and 2 DOUBLE A teams

Lee High has and will have enough to be AA, but play down.

You don't see many single A teams with that many AA schools or higher on their schedule was my point!

Excuse me, are u making excuses. The last time I checked, they don't ask how you won, just whether or not you won.

For the record, we did GW three better in our loss to Magna Vista (7 TO's), but they were the better team that night and they deserved the win. Are you going to defend us with that loss (stats, etc.)

Nope, just gettin tired of people running down the level of play in our Region and district. I guess you would have to wear our shoes to understand. I agree with some of your statements, just not the method in which you are trying to back them up.

that schedule for next year absolutely sucks. I guess we just gave up on beating the swd to pad our record against chilhowie and play a team with no tradition in sullivan central. I hate this schedule. and by way, tenn high and S.C. are size of AA schools in Va. we get AA power points for them.

and another thing, I was at the JF/Gate City game of 97 and GC beat them all over the field. It should of never came down to the field goal. yardage was ridiculous in GC favor. I will agree that the team wasn't as good as the team of 96 that lost to Brookville/Lomax

On this topic, Go Bengals....that's pretty close to a bearcat!