My first football post

Guest MagicMan

Guest MagicMan

Contrarly to public belief, i watch football (I have the gameday package and nfl sunday ticket!!!) more than I work on computers (albeit debatable). I had a chance to watch a replay of the Grundy/FC game last night, and from some of the other games I've seen this season in SWVA Football land, I've come to several conclusions:

1. The rulebook needs to make some more sense. Two rules that I've seen implemented correctly (apparently) are:

a. When a gunner gets an angle on a field goal, and takes out the holder, that should NOT be any kind of penalty - whether he gets a hand on the ball or not...

b. When somebody kicks a 48, 58, 98 yard field goal and has enough leg to get it to the goal line, it's apparently a touchback... This protects no-one, and allows you to punt-score... why not go for a field goal when you can put them at the 20???

2. Officials need to be pulled from about 3 hours away or so. Neutral homes, alma maters, etc. Some of the calls are absulutely horrible.

3. Virginia football without any ties is more fun than watching your own high school lose and lose and lose.

4. I've watched college football for enough years that I seem to catch more stuff than the refs.

5. Analysis of teams I've seen so far that have advanced in the playoffs:

a. Graham - amazing running backs. absolutely amazing. opposing defenses need to concentrate the whole time, or bradshaw gets a 93 yd TD.

b. Grundy - young, raw talent, gutsy (borderline stupid) playcalling, need to keep fresh, but probably more heart and grit than anybody, but need to learn to tackle better.

c. Carrol County - plays mistake free football. they don't put the ball on the ground (and when they do, the refs help them out a bit), decent play on D.

That's what I remember. I might be wrong, because I never sleep, but that's how I rate my first year of SWVA Football.

I also was at the game last night,as I go to every grundy game since my brothers play for them, and I know I have ties but to me that was one of the best games I have seen in a long time.

I also just wanted to say I agree with you on those rules and your views of those teams. You may not sleep but you know what you are talking about.

Guest MagicMan

I wasn't actually at the game, Lance taped it, so I got to watch it in the heat smile.gif

That sounds good about the refs being about three hours away(neutral),but like one told me at the graham game last week was that it is hard to make the trip in regular season,because most of these refs have full time jobs,it would be almost imposible for a ref to get off work at 5:00 in Bluefield and have to go to Big stone gap or Jonesville and make the kickoff..just for example