G-men blown out again

twopac

yea we did,but we made alot of progress tonight. we had 13 turnovers in the 1st half and onle 2 in the 2nd. we also outscored them in the 2nd half. Bassett was a great them. they would beat bluefield

we did step up in the second half and played some ball... we passed the ball very well and started to hit shots, and yeah that team would give bluefield some competition, not sayin they would beat them but they would give them a game... but hey were suppose to lose our first so many games cause the tuffness of the teams were playin, bluefield, bassett, pulaski, but were improvin and will be ready for southwest district play cause thats what counts...

[ QUOTE ]

Glad to see you learned not to berate your teammates for a loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

just to let you know yall all think i was tryin to put him down, well i wasnt, the only reason i posted that to start with was to get his attention cause talkin to him in person didnt work in jv and obviously it worked on here cause he played to win and passed... he passed the ball tonight and played good... the first half we just played awful... the second half we outscored them, and they played there first string the whole game, not to mention, the first half we had 13 turnovers, and the 2nd half we had 2, so that made a huge difference... were gettin better, we didnt give up after bein beat 52-17 in a half, we came out and played in the second, and thats what we needed...

[ QUOTE ]

well considering we were losing 52 to like 16 at halftime i say we did a hell of a job in the secound half

[/ QUOTE ] either that or bassett wasnt playing as hard, when u have a big lead u tend to let up on intensity

[ QUOTE ]

KTom, i saw your 3 pointer on the news tonight. Tickle the twine...haha

[/ QUOTE ]

haha yeah i liked it lol... my passes were a lot better then my shots tho, thats what i liked best about tonights game was the fact that we played as a team and passed good... once we startin hittin our shots (which will come after the first few games) were gonna be a pretty good team i think... cause look at the level of teams were playin, @ bluefield, bassett (home), then @ pulaski t/m, so were startin off with some of the best teams around so our scores aint the greatest so people think we suck, but we dont and it will show later on in the season...

kev, do you want to play pg? because i think you should over jd. jd is a good player, but i think he would be a better 2 guard. he didn't understand that he needed to make his own space to make his passes. he kept throwing the ball right at the person who was guarding him. everytime he went to his left he picked up his dribble. you all played a lot better in the second half and i thought it was because you were at pg. it just sucks that you all don't have any size. you were playing point on offense and guarding the seven footer on d.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

well considering we were losing 52 to like 16 at halftime i say we did a hell of a job in the secound half

[/ QUOTE ] either that or bassett wasnt playing as hard, when u have a big lead u tend to let up on intensity

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, Bassett uses a lot of subs in the second half...

Bassett blows away Graham at home

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD, Va. — Give Graham credit. They don’t mind playing a tough schedule.

In two games, the G-Men have played Bluefield, the Class AA state runner-ups last season in West Virginia, and added Bassett on Thursday, a final four team in last year’s Virginia Group AA state tournament.

Tonight? A trip to Pulaski County, one of the top Group AAA teams in Virginia.

“I can guarantee you there are not many team here in Southwest Virginia that’s played the first three teams that we are going to play,” Graham head coach Glynn Carlock, Jr. said. “We want to put our guys up against the best guys because it’s going to pay off later down the line.”

Graham fell to 0-2 on Thursday, dropping a 78-51 decision to the Bengals, which jumped out to a 9-0 lead and led 52-17 at the break. The G-Men did get some consolation, outscoring Bassett 34-26 in the second half.

“We tried to take it by quarters tonight,” Carlock said. “They outplayed us the first two, but in the second two, we outscored them 16-8 in the third and the fourth was even up.

“They are athletic, they’re big and when they can bring a 7-footer off the bench, that is going to be tough to defend and rebound with. I really thought we made some strides tonight in the second half. It’s got to keep going up from here.”

Tony Womack, who played a vital role for Bassett in its state tourney run last season, finished with 18 points and eight rebounds, while Josh McGill scored 13 points and Dorian Valentine added 11. Bassett also brought in 7-foot-3 Matt Gordon off the bench and he added six points in his first season playing the game.

“We wanted to come out and get on them,” said Womack, a wide receiver for the Bengals football team, which reached the Division 4 state semifinals. “We had a great time doing it in football, but it’s taking some time to get back into basketball.

“We just wanted to come out here and get some atmosphere and get some wins before crunch time. When it gets to be playoff time, we’ll be good.”

Carlock hopes the same can be said about the G-Men. Graham, which was led by Will Cole with 13 points, and 10 points and five assists from Kevin Thompson, did meet one goal by reducing the 33 turnovers from the season-opener last Friday against Bluefield to only 15 against the Bengals, including just two in the second half.

“It was ugly early, but one thing that I will say is the Piedmont District is one of the best districts in the state for Group AA basketball,” said Carlock, who received eight points and four boards from Jason Palmer. “When kids aren’t used to playing against kids like that, when you come out and start a game, it’s kind of hard to get used to it the way they get after it because they get after your tail.”

Bassett started the game with a 9-0 run before a Thompson basket with 4:50 left in the first quarter finally got the G-Men on the board. Graham trailed by 13 after the opening eight minutes, but were outscored 29-7 in the second to fall behind by 35 at the break.

“We’ve only been together a couple of weeks because of football going into the playoffs so far so it’s just taking time and we’re improving every day so that’s what we’re shooting for,” said Bassett head coach Tom Hering, whose Bengals lost to Piedmont District foe Martinsville in last year’s semifinals. “We do have a lot of athletes and that’s what we’re trying to do.

“We’re trying to be intense on the defensive end, turn some defense into offense and we did a good job of that in the first half.”

Graham never got any closer than 21 in the second half, but Carlock did see some positive signs from his club.

“We had some people that came off the bench tonight that stepped up,” Carlock said. “We were able to find some help for us tonight rather than just having to rely on the first six or seven guys.

“Hopefully that’s going to be a sign of improvement for us. We’ve got to go up from here.”

at Graham Middle School

BASSETT (2-3)

Brooks 4 0-0 9, Josh McGill 6 1-2 13, Goforth 0 0-0 0, Tony Womack 7 2-2 18, J.Johnson 2 1-2 5, Dorian Valentine 4 3-4 11, Wade 2 0-0 5, Norman 1 0-0 2, A.Johnson 1 4-4 6, Gordon 3 0-0 6, Severt 1 1-2 3. Totals 27-44 12-16 78.

GRAHAM (0-2)

Brown 1 0-0 2, Carper 0 1-2 1, Palmer 3 2-2 8, Hunter 2 1-2 5, Kevin Thompson 5 0-2 10, Will Cole 5 2-2 13, Jeffers 1 0-0 2, Tibbs 1 0-0 2, Blankenship 0 1-2 1, Hicks 3 1-2 7, Goins 0 0-0 0, Lowery 0 0-0 0, Simon 0 0-0 0, Coppola 0 0-0 0. Totals 20-40 8-14 78.

Bassett..........................23 29 8 18 — 78

Graham.........................10 7 16 18 — 51

3-point goals: BS 4-6 (Womack 2, Wade 1, Brooks 1); GR 1-12 (Cole 1). Total fouls: BS 13; GR 11. Fouled out: none. Technicals: Valentine. JV—BS 51-25.

[ QUOTE ]

kev, do you want to play pg? because i think you should over jd. jd is a good player, but i think he would be a better 2 guard. he didn't understand that he needed to make his own space to make his passes. he kept throwing the ball right at the person who was guarding him. everytime he went to his left he picked up his dribble. you all played a lot better in the second half and i thought it was because you were at pg. it just sucks that you all don't have any size. you were playing point on offense and guarding the seven footer on d.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i wanted to play pg this season, and i was until wills got hurt then coach moved me to sg, personally i think im a better pg then shootin guard cause passin is the best part of my game... but yeah we dont have any size at all, i was sg/pg but yet guardin the 7 foot guys on the defensive end... i just wish we had some size this year...

yeah hes a beast... he hit 2 or 3 3pt shots in a row against us, nobody expected him to shoot the 3 cause of his size i guess so they left him open and he hit them... thats when the game blew wide open was on them because they already had a 8 point lead and that just shot us down... but we did show in the second half that we were still a team and came out and outplayed them... and they had all there starters in the whole second half and they were playin just as hard as they had been the whole game...

[ QUOTE ]

They had the PD player of the year last year...Im pretty sure he graduated....

[/ QUOTE ]

oh really? yeah he probly did graduate then because womack was the only one thats back from last years team, or the only one that got playin time anyways... they had another guy that was 7'1 that didnt even start for them, i figured it was cause since he was so big he was probly clumsy and slow but he actually wasnt clumsy at all and he wasnt a speed demon but he wasnt slow either, plus he took up space and could just reach over us for rebounds lol

[ QUOTE ]

they had another guy that was 7'1 that didnt even start for them, i figured it was cause since he was so big he was probly clumsy and slow but he actually wasnt clumsy at all and he wasnt a speed demon but he wasnt slow either, plus he took up space and could just reach over us for rebounds lol

[/ QUOTE ]

He may have been 7'1", but he only weights about 180...how can someone that tall, that only weighs 180, take up space???

Matt Crawford, the 7'1" player from Bassett, is a junior who was in academic trouble last year and also had some other diffculties which he had to work out. I am certain that with a full year in the weight room and a full of coaching, he will make large strides on the court by the time the Piedmont District season begins.

Meanwhile, Bassett's chief rival, Martinsville is 5-2 having "squeaked" out a win last night over Wm. Byrd -

61-58. The 'Dogs have an Arby's Classic match-up with Dobyns-Bennett of Kingsport, TN this coming Tuesday night.