6 divisions to 4A

Bulldog 82

I know the VHSL 'A' rating system has probably been dicussed at length on this board. But what are the chances that the VHSL might go to a 4A system instead of the current 3A 6 Div. setup they have now? Is the current system good are is there something better? Just curious for anyones thoughts on this. XDOG

there is always room for improvement in any system the main thing against a division 4a is i do not think that there are any schools here in swva that are big enough to fit the bill for that so they all would have to come from eastern and northern va i think and what do you do with the small 2a schools here in swva do you take them to just one division the 3 a rankings seem to work with 2 divisions in each, i realize that some do not like this format because now and then a 5-5 school or one with a losing record makes it into the playoff because they won their district but even with this they usually get weeded out real soon in the playoffs. i do not know what the answer is but for now i like the system as it is.

I don't know about the whole weeding out thing. The last time I remember a team making the playoffs with a losing record was in '94. Blacksburg finished 4-6 and won the last New River District championship. The only teams they had to beat was Christiansburg and Carroll Co. They ended up winning Region 3 Division 4 with a win over Richlands in BBurg. They lost in the next round but still not too bad for a team that finished the season with a total record of 6-7.

that is true but for the most part a team with a losing record will usually not go to far into the playoffs in va because the further you get the tougher the teams are but still on any given day any team is capable of beating another team if things go right for them.