Marcum's from Grundy were noticed at UVA Nike Camp

jmarcum

This was copied directly from a post on Virginiapreps.com hopefully I wont get into any trouble though. With so many kids at the camp we didnt think that many people were noticing the drills and could watch kids individually but I was wrong. I hope more SWD sophomores and juniors go next year as a lot of players dropped in unannounced. The MVP with the highest SPARQ rating was a player that nobody had ever heard of a rb from maryland. You can guarantee he is on the map now and will have recruiters calling. There were quite a few people recording the entire fields so I guess this is where the players were really evaluted.

I didn't see Hubbard, but I did see Aaron Marcum, who was a walk-in at the camp...he is scheduled for the Ga Tech camp but did go through the drills at the UVA camp...he looked great! I had a chance to talk to Coach Tibbs (who was running the LB's) after everything was over and as that's the name he dropped to me..."hard nosed kid who is going to make someone a great football player, I was really impressed with him."

I was also impressed with Garon Marcum (Aaron's brother) who worked out with the RB's as a 10th grader...he finished many of the drills before some of the top players and had greater accuracy (not knocking over cones and such)than most of the kids...he has great hands, feet, and speed...he should have a good year for Grundy! On a curious note, when the kids were running the 40 they ran 4 kids at a time, in Garon's group he finished first in each run and had 40 times slower than the kids he beat...so the person punching the stopwatch is crucial to the 40 times! Garon had a 40 time on one run of 4.8 and beat a kid that ran a 4.66 on the same run by almost 2 steps...

I watched the Williams kid run his 40 and all I can say is WOW! That kid can fly...I was impressed with his overall skills as well...he's a blue chipper for sure. There was another kid in the RB's that stood out, not sure where he was from but the name was Braxton...great feet and speed...overall this was a great camp to watch! So many great kids!

Anyway...just thought I would mention the Marcum kids...I watched the highlight video for Aaron on Friday so I was looking for him at the camp to check out. Impressive kid...all business, easy to like...

What is Garon's 40 time at now, more specifically (not the flawed ones)? I remember seeing him play as an 8th grader and he was extremely fast to be that young. As a Grundy alum, I like to see the kids do well.

-Josh

he runs about a 4.6 legit on avg i think...the one kid he beat at the camp in the 40 heat was give a 4.66 and Garon beat him by two steps so go figure.

I see a lot of people bitching about the way the 40's were timed at that camp,and Garon's group was not the only one that had that happen either, sadly it was more the rule than the exception.

Another thing, and not making excuses here, but we all drove up at like 4am Sunday morning and they didn't really sleep or eat before the camp...when we all got up there everyone was half dead...lol. They were going to just go watch and see how the camp was run so they would have a good idea of what to expect on May 8th when they go to the Nike Camp at GA Tech, which is the one they are acctually registered for. However, since they offered to let them work out, you couldn't really pass up that kind of chance...and both Marcums looked very good in the drills, as good or better than everyone else. They did Grundy proud...over the next two months you'll be hearing more form them as they are scheduled to make the Nike Camp in Atlanta on May 8th and a Cincinnati Combine on May 29th also. I think you will see better 40 times out of Garon from those two and also they will have cleats to run in on the grass and not just regular shoes...roflmao.

Always go prepared I guess...but they honestly did not expect to work out.

DOn't believe the hype on most of these kids you see on the recruiting profiles who claim to run 4.4's and lower, only one kid had that kind of speed out of about 350 kids at this past camp...everyone else was 4.5 and up and mostly 4.7 and up...but then again the times were kinda screwed up? so...hard to say?