Va High Coaching Situation

Suckaface

I think that it is just odd that they havent hired anyone yet. I mean its getting CLOSE to the summer. And you think they would want their new coach inplace to start summer workouts, but who knows, VA High's AD is not the smartest man in the world. If they keep putting off hiring someone next year is going to be a sorry year for them.

Yeah the AD has really screwed this one up. They really need to name a coach soon. Right now hardly anyone is staying after school and working out because there is no coach there with them. Many of the assistants are coaching other sports right now and without a coach, the guys cant stay after use the weight room. They are going to have a lot of talent this year but if they dont work hard this often season, they wont improve much on last year

vhs lost their chance at maybe one of the best highschool coaches in swva in coach carlock from ghs. though we here in bluefield va are glad that coach is staying at graham. it would be very difficult to replace a coach with his qualities.

With his track record for success, any thoughts on why exactly Carlock did not get the job? Kind of like all the ex-NFL coaches going back to colleges for jobs, you'd think they'd have killed to have him.

-Josh

Between Carlock's demands and Virginia High's expectations. One sticking point was the amount of classroom instruction that VHS expects of its head coach. The divergent viewpoints of the two parties on issues like this indicates that it wasn't a particularly good match for either.

I think va high would be better off Rehiring Mike Locke, The wing t is potent offense for highschool if the coach has a thing for it and Locke can run the wing t with ease. Going by va high's teams int he past, the weak, non powerhouse teams they bring, a misdirection offense like the Wing T is the perfect fit for them.

Suckaface,

I am going to disagree about the Wing T being better suited for teams who can be described as "weak and nonpowerhouse". It was always my general belief that for the Wing T to work effectively, you need an offensive line who can either outmuscle most opponents or has decent size with near flawless (at the HS level) technique.

Hurley's coaching staff brought in the Wing T offense for this past season, and while there early games saw excellent results (Hurley put 21 points on a Northwood team that went to the Regional Finals, losing just two games to George Wythe and Bath County, both of which were the only teams to score more than 21 against Northwood), the lack of a over-powering offensive line and/or a skilled line of decent size players killed them. When East Ridge, KY realized "all we gotta do is put 10 in the box" to stop them, every team for the rest of the year had the blueprint to beat them (considering Hurley should have been 8-2, 4-6 was definitely disappointing).

Granted, I know Hurley was outcoached severely and seemingly never made adjustments to overcome what other teams were doing, but I seriously doubt any adjustment could have been made without a passing game to keep defenses honest (and the Wing T is no passing offense either).

Although I could be wrong, its just my opinions.

-Josh

Well of course im going to agree, the Wing T would be a rediculous offense for an oversized line than can over power people. But its a good offense for a weaker team as well. IF u have a weaker team the misdirection and the pulling lineman works well. The Wing T is a better fit for VA High, than the power I like they have ran the past 3 or 4 years.

Yeah the power just didnt cut it. VHS just didnt ever have a good enough line to run that under Adams. I think they need a coach that will run the option more. That seemed to work best for them last year. Morrison is tough QB, and Tyrone Mitchell is a very quick and explosive HB. I really think that VHS can be pretty good team next yaer. Last year they played everyone pretty well but just didnt have any defense.

That was the difference for them last year... The year before when they won the highlands their offense was a bit shaky with Bohon at QB, but their defense would not budge much at all, if they woulda had half the defense they had the year before they would have won a few more games.