Can anyone from Richlands answer this?

hhstigerfan

I have heard that Richlands wanted a regular season game with Honaker last season. I have heard this from a couple people, but just not sure if it is a rumor. If its true, its unbelievable, its dumb that Honaker would rather play that stupid benefit game than a real game. Richlands used to pack the house at Honaker back in the early 90s when we played them and Honaker fans did the same when they went down to Richlands, and now the VHSL gets a third of the gate and Honaker gets no points for playing Richlands. Its so stupid how Hubbard insists on wasting his team year in and year out. I remember even in the Heath Miller days we played the likes of Patrick Henry, Twin Springs, John Battle, and St. Paul and Rye Cove. Who knows? Back in 2000 with a better non-district schedule Honaker could have bought back the championship trophy instead of the runner-up one...

This is a little off topic (I'm sorry, I do not have the answer you are looking for), but I am of the opinion that Honaker is just now becoming one of the premier Single A teams in the area. Don't get me wrong, you all have been consistently a strong team the last 6 to 8 years (as I remember), but it seems that Coach Hubbard had a plan for building a program, not just lucking up and getting good teams every couple years who make playoff runs.

I believe that you have to start somewhere, and by all means you must play teams your size or smaller to get your program started. At this point, after I'd say something like 5-6 seasons of high level play (have you all had a worse record than 7-3 in five or six years?) Honaker is ready to start playing a much tougher schedule than they have been [is it just me or has Honaker had a secret membership with the Cumberland District? wink.gif-].

Its kind of like over here in Hurley. 4-6 last year was considered a success due to factors such as:

a) the team may have had 4 wins in the previous 3-4 years

b) the starters were primarily Freshmen and Sophomores with no Varsity experience / just 3 Seniors and 1 Junior

However, even through those factors (which I will say can make things tough), that team had no right being anything less than 8-2. Sure, Haysi and Honaker were light years ahead of Hurley last year and by no means would Hurley have won those games, but the other four losses were completely winable.

When you review the cause(s) of the games lost, you will see a trend that leads to the same symptoms of an easily diagnosed problem.

1) inability to throw the football with ANY consistency (ten passing attempts against Tug Valley; SIX interceptions thrown by ONE QB)

2) inability to score points in the red zone (at least 3 chances against Big Creek with 0 points scored)

3) continuously running the ball between the tackles against 9 and 10 man fronts when you are losing (see East Ridge)

At this level, a team must be capable of throwing the football when necessary. Passing has to be implemented into the playbook with other plays of similar formation, and has to be practiced twice as much than running plays due to the timing and intricate details involved with passing plays. QBs need drills where they just throw the ball to WRs/TEs/RBs to get a feel for where to place the ball on different routes, how much 'arm' is needed for different patterns, and primarily to get a feel for his WRs, so he can understand what they are doing a little better and know who to trust and such.

Unfortunately, this just did not happen last year. Was this the only problems Hurley faced last year? Definitely not.

The offensive line, which was by all means terrible last season, should see improvment by leaps and bounds this season with a coach being hired to work with them.

Personnel moves on offense, along with a years experience under their belts as well as a line coach, should see the offense more efficient. I have my doubts whether the passing issue will be addressed as I outlined, but with better (projected) line play and experience this group should be steps ahead of the team who played last year.

Question marks still loom about the defense and special teams. No coach was hired to replace last years Defensive Coordinator, and special teams just were not given any significant time or drilling. With just four coaches on staff and a possibly smaller team than last year (I think 14-16 kids is the number who have practiced this summer), things will be spread thin.

Goodness, this ended up long. Sorry about straying from your topic.

-Josh

Actually, thats true Richlands wants to start playing Honaker again. Coach Mance and Coach Hubbard wanted to fit it in the regular season but both schedules were already full. I think if that would have been a regualar season game you guys would have made the playoffs i mean goin 9-1 and not making the playoffs is ridiculous.

All right, thanks. I heard Honaker was just unwilling to get a real game with Richlands, if I was Mance I would try and drop Lee; why go 100 miles to Ben Hur when you have a pretty good team 15 miles away that wants to play? Don't get me wrong, the benefit was quite a show last year and should be again this year. But it would be good for Honaker to start getting better teams. At our home games this year, I don't think John Battle, Castlewood, St. Paul, and Rye Cove brought more than 20 fans from each school to Honaker you just don't make money playing bad teams and not to mention no competition. And in response to djhurley, I agree you do have to start somewhere and build your program, but my point was when Honaker was a mediocre/below average team, we played mediocre/below average teams. But when you start building things up and start getting athletes that can make the team compete at the state level you gotta start playing up to your level. After Honaker plays Lebanon, the next big test they will have will be in the most important game of the season against Haysi!

I think it might have been in the Richlands paper last year that both teams wanted to play regular season but couldn't work it out. From a fan standpoint, I like the scrimmage because it's an extra game to see, but I do understand why it would be better for Honaker if it counted. I know it's not on the regular schedule this year, but are they playing at all?

I understand that completely. My point was that Honaker is just now at the level where they can start playing the best competition. Setting a schedule like that the year after Miller and Co. went to the State finals would have seemed a bad choice back then, but would have made for a better team from a hindsight perspective.

When next season rolls around, Honaker should have there schedule packed. With 7 non-district games to fill, there is no reason for them not to play 3-4 of the best teams around.

-Josh

The year after Honaker made the state finals, for some reason we had a better schedule. We picked up Grayson County, Rural Retreat, and Appalachia. Those 3 teams stomped us, as did Haysi, Rye Cove, and Lebanon. That year we went 4-6, but the next year (2002), we went 9-1 playing the exact same schedule and made the regional finals. Last year for some reason, we played a much easier schedule with basically the same team that gave Gate City fits in the Region D finals and look where it got us. 9-1 and sitting at home!

> No offense to anyone from hurley but I dont see why

> Richlands even used to play them!!! Then again we did

> play teams like pikeview and Bell County.KY

Once the Blues starting playing well, a lot of local teams suddenly lost interest in playing them. I know for a fact that Abingdon backed out of a two-game series that would've commenced in 1992 because they preferred to "play somebody that they could beat." Very ironic that Abingdon wound up having to play us anyway, albeit in the regional final that season. They might have fared better if they knew more about what to expect. But I digress....

The state championship season and the attendant problems that came to light thereafter further exacerbated the problem. A lot of schools used Richlands' "reputation" as an excuse to drop them from the schedule.

As a result of these kind of issues, Richlands wound up playing something of a crazy-quilt schedule most years. To demonstrate the extent of the problem, the Blues actually opened against a school from Indiana one season (can't remember which year it was -- they all blur together after a while).

Anyhow, that's the explanation behind the Bell Countys and Hurleys on the schedule. Somewhat strange but true, but for several years they were simply the only schools willing to play Richlands.

Very glad to see that kind of issue put to rest. Hope it stays that way for a long time.

Well one of the reasons Honaker and Lebanon stopped playing Richlands was because of our school board. Remember all that crap that went on between Honaker, Lebanon, and Richlands fans a few years back? For some reason or another things just got way outta hand between the 3 schools. They simply wouldn't allow Honaker and Lebanon to play Richlands in ANYTHING until 2002.

I was very happy to see the "boycott" lifted by clearer thinking heads a couple of years ago. Unfortunate that it ever had to happen in the first place.

Never really lost much sleep over Lebanon, but the inability to play Honaker was a horrible decision that really penalized both schools (RHS and HHS). That's always been a very profitable rivalry for both communities, IMO.

OH no doubt. I remember when I was a little kid goin to the basketball games between Honaker and Richlands and not to mention the football games as well. Those were great! I never saw much of a reason for a ban on us competing anyway. The way I understand it, the only thing that really happened between Honaker and Richlands was a few kids getting into it just this one time, nothing serious enough to ban the two schools from competing for almost 10 years thats for sure!

Last years game between Lebanon and Richlands was a joke, Timmy Brown just ran right over Lebanon last year. Lebanon played fairly good football the week before at George Wythe but did'nt even show up for the Richlands game. Lebanon might be compeative this year with Richlands, but after this year it will be a long string of slaughters for Richlands over Lebanon. I don't believe the rivalry will be as strong or intense as it was in the early 90s'

Well one thing you have to understand about the Lebanon and Richlands game, a lot Lebanon's players were pretty broken up about a pretty tragic situation that occured that week. A lot of the players were pretty broken up about having to choose between going to their friend's wake or playing in the game that night. I won't say anymore, but I'm sure you heard about what happened.

[ QUOTE ]

A lot of the players were pretty broken up about having to choose between going to their friend's wake or playing in the game that night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't aware of that. I was at that game and remember that I expected a closer game. I can certainly understand if the Lebanon players hearts weren't into the game. Too much tragedy in local schools recently.

I don't remember what happened, I apologize. I do remember Lebanon did'nt have a desire to play, I guess that explains it. Thanks for setting me straight, I'm ashamed for not remembering the situation

Lebanon lost 2 lineman, tailback and fullback but the replacements should be as good or better than what they lost. The big question mark will be the linebackers, they lost all of last years starters. This may be the first year in quite a while that Lebanon should be stronger on offense than defense. The line should be very good on both sides of the ball, like I said the linebackers will be the hardest to replace from last year. I know they have some really good linebackers from JV that'll have to step up and prove themselves.

I know richlands lost a big offensive weapon as well as a defensive back in Timmy Brown, we lost 2 lineman, 2 fullbacks/linebacker,and a wide out, but we should be ok on bothsides of the ball.

Honaker lost 9 or 10 seniors. I believe 7 of those seniors played at all of our skill positions, but we have some pretty good juniors and sophomores coming up that should fill in nicely. We lost Tyler Ball at QB, running back Kevin Rose, WR Floyd Robinette, linebacker, DJ Hall, kicker and defensive end Shawn Wilson, and a couple really good defensive players in Ryan Miller and Dustin Short.