Scholastic Bowl

beano5

its not a sport or anything but today Graham and Patrick County got the spots for Region IV in the state tournament of it...Graham got second to Patrick County...we will move on in a couple of weeks to go to state at William and Mary...should be very exciting...at least we can cheer about something now!

Richlands had a first round bye and played V. High...we lost to Abingdon first round....V. High beat Richlands and then we played Richlands and we beat them as well...so they were 0-2 on the day i believe...we went on to play Abingdon again after RHS and beat them by 30...beat V. High by 95 and then lost to Patrick County....so we went 3-2 and Patrick County went 4-0 and thats all i know about records and such...

Congratulations to Patrick County and Graham.

Graham finished second in the state back in 2001 (I think) giving Blacksburg one of their state titles.

I am Shawn Pickrell, the Scholastic Bowl Commissioner. (Disclaimer: I have no authority whatsoever over redistricting and other aspects of VHSL competition.) I am the director of the State Tournament, and the editor of the questions that will be heard there. As the Region tournament did not use questions I provide to Regions, I'm not sure how well results will translate onto the state stage.

And yes, Scholastic Bowl is a VHSL activity, with the winners receiving recognition from their school.

However, I will not be in attendance at this year's tournament, as I'll be tending to my daughter, who will be between 6 and 20 days old at that point.

If someone could be kind enough to post all the scores, I would be most grateful. I try to collect as many Scholastic Bowl results as I can for posterity.

Anyone with questions about the Scholastic Bowl competition can contact me at shawn_pickrell at yahoo dot com.

I promise to not be this formal in any other posts I make here except when speaking ex cathedra.

Oh yeah, let's see ...

EC Glass finished second at the Northwest Region tournament on the 31st. I was there for that one! They lost to a strong Albemarle team.

Region III (Roanoke-Lynchburg):

* I do not yet have results from the Seminole District. I think Heritage won from a random look at their webpage a few weeks ago.

* Cave Spring won the River Ridge's regular season and tournament. Salem was 2nd and Blacksburg 3rd.

* Alleghany won the Blue Ridge's regular season and their tournament is this week I think

Region IV (southwestern Virginia):

* Patrick County won the region, beating Graham.

* Patrick County won the Piedmont District. Bassett was second. The district uses their SCAEL format which is similar to MACC/SWAC.

* Abingdon won the Highlands District over Virginia High School 235-110 and 180-175 (they had to win twice.)

* Graham and Richlands advanced from the Southwestern District.

Region C (Roanoke-Bristol):

* Radford won the Three Rivers over Floyd County, 320-110. Auburn, 3rd place finishers, will go in Floyd County's stead.

* Holston defeated Northwood, 190-170, to win the Hogoheegee.

* The Pioneer is on February 3 at Bath County.

* The Mountain Empire does not play Scholastic Bowl. Their principals appear to have decided that MACC is enough for their academic competition needs.

Region D (far southwestern Virginia):

* Honaker won the Black Diamond regular season and tournament. Hurley was the tournament runner-up.

* I do not yet have results from the Cumberland.

* I do not yet have results from the Lonesome Pine. They play their PACE (nothing to do with Tom Chuck's PACE) format which is even more restricted in subject area than the MACC format.

Further details can be had here http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3542

including who Patrick and Graham will be playing first ...

OK two tournaments I have so far:

Heritage won Region III, beating Cave Spring. CS had beaten Heritage twice at UVA and Spotswood's weekend tournaments.

Radford won Region C over Parry McCluer.

Region D was today but I have not yet heard from anyone how that went ... Well, now I have! Honaker went through undefeated and beat Twin Springs in the final.

• 2 weeks later...

well Patrick County and Graham finished tied for 7th in the state...not bad...but we were the first two to go home...but still...7th in state is nothing to be ashamed of..

[ QUOTE ]

well Patrick County and Graham finished tied for 7th in the state...not bad...but we were the first two to go home...but still...7th in state is nothing to be ashamed of..

[/ QUOTE ]

When only eight teams were there...and you tied for 7th...that means you and the team you tied with were the worst ones there and doesn't necessarily mean you were the 7th best team in the state...could have been several schools from other regions that weren't there that were better...obviously the ones that were there from other regions were better...

w....t...f... gman

congrats ben, thats pretty impressive, the only year i did that thing, we got swept our first two matches in the district or whatever and i was home by 1 for my city league game haha.

[ QUOTE ]

w....t...f... gman

congrats ben, thats pretty impressive, the only year i did that thing, we got swept our first two matches in the district or whatever and i was home by 1 for my city league game haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe if you didn't waste your time with "city league" and spent more time in the books, you wouldn't have lost your first two matches in the district or whatever...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

w....t...f... gman

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe if you didn't waste your time with "city league" and spent more time in the books, you wouldn't have lost your first two matches in the district or whatever...

[/ QUOTE ]

or maybe you should quit wasting your time talking about things you obviously know nothing about

i waste my time on this city league and soccer and we still made it to state...i can GUARANTEE that Scruggs studied and is way smarter than i am...the effort had nothing to do with it...the Region IV was definitely down this year in terms of Scholastic Bowl...and if we made it that far than yes...we were one of the 8 best in the state...so quit hating on us...first time in 6 years a team from Graham has made it that far...can you give us some respect?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

w....t...f... gman

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Studying will not help; winning these types of competitions requires mostly dumb useless knowledge.

It takes a helluva lotta luck to even come close to having a shot. It is all about the drawing the right questions and having the right people playing that can answer the questions.

For the record:

Group AAA (Maggie Walker won)

E.C. Glass tied for 7th.

Group AA (Charlottesville won)

Heritage was 2nd.

Cave Spring tied for 5th.

Patrick County and Graham tied for 7th.

Group A (George Mason won)

Radford was 2nd

Parry McCluer tied for 5th

Honaker and Twin Springs tied for 7th

Region IV has had some good years. Three years ago, Marion was 3rd and Carroll County 4th; Marion defeated Charlottesville. Graham finished 2nd in one season, there was a guy named Vivek Jain (I think) who was quite good apparently. Graham's coach emailed me and asked for suggestions -- I have given her basically what Thomas Jefferson does in terms of practice and preparation.

In addition, I have talked to Mr. Hovis over at Tazewell and they are seriously considering using the questions I write to make up the TCAC matches (I'd cut and paste the questions out of a VHSL match and put it into the TCAC format.) I have not gotten the final confirmation as yet though. This will help you guys out -- it's like the difference between playing on natural grass and artificial turf.

Much as Graham football players must hit the weight room constantly and go over plays, so too must Graham Scholastic Bowl/TCAC players study to improve at Scholastic Bowl. It most certainly is *not* "dumb luck."

Teams that practice and play consistently, both in VHSL and in outside tournaments, will do better. Thomas Jefferson and Maggie Walker, for example, practices 2-3 times a week and plays something like 12 or 13 weekend tournaments in addition to their Scholastic Bowl season. Not surprisingly, they have won all 10 Scholastic Bowl championships in Group AAA and have won several national tournaments between them.

If you look over the matches I have written over the years, there are certain things that come up again and again, although the particular hints I give in the question will be different.

For example, I have written Edgar Allan Poe questions where the hints are about his love life, and have written questions where the hints are about his more obscure works.

My own experience:

When I was in middle school, I spent my time reading my dad's old college American History book and checked out US History books from the library. So when I showed up in AP US History, I knew 80% of what there was to know. I coasted through that class and got an "A" and got a "5" on the AP History exam. What's more the facts I learned from my reading of US History helped me when I played Scholastic Bowl (well it wasn't called that back then.) Then I could spend my high school years learning other subject areas.

Between my junior and senior years I wrote maybe 1,500 practice questions and quizzed my teammates on them as well. I looked over every single practice match I could get my hands on too, and played along with It's Academic and Pop Quiz (the two TV shows I could watch.)

It worked -- my school (Warren County) defeated AA powers like Charlottesville and R.E. Lee by 100+ point margins.

i noticed something..in the first two rounds the B questions of directed were really REALLY easy...was it like that through the whole state tournament...i mean...im not complaining or saying it was the fault of our losses...but it set us back some...we couldnt get over it...

Sometimes its just a crap shoot when picking between the A and B set of questions. Sometimes you will get a set that will have a couple more questions that you know that other team got, and sometimes you luck out with a question set.

Part of it is luck of the draw -- I've had one room where 8 of 10 "B" questions get answered and only 4 of 10 "A" questions -- but in the next room over it is the other way round.

Part of it is also my fault -- I just had a daughter born on the 18th and so I did not devote as much time/attention to balancing out the "A" and "B" sets as I should have.

or getting lucky and getting a question you know

for instance, i could answer the latin questions because i took latin

but it would have been unlucky if we were playing 4 students who took spanish

the questions were consistently easy for B...in the two games we played i say they answered an average of 8 of 10 and we only answered in average of maybe 2 or 3 A questions and they couldnt even get the ones we got wrong...so thats why i was wondering...