swd girls tourney

littlraskul

she wore #24. and yes, she was sloppy at times, (i was still standing by myself early in the game) but she literally was richlands in the second half. she carried them and was the only person in white keeping the game remotely competitive. that girl was everywhere, on both ends of the floor, the entire game. she never gave up, even when the score got ugly for a bit. it'd be interesting to see her on another team, just for fun's sake. she made me a believer (like it matters...) and i'm certainly a hard one to win over.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The coaching had very little to with Graham's success -- any team that has 4 kids to move in and 3 of them over 6' the other being the team's new starting point guard should have a much improved record. I would like to see how she would have done with the those girls that are truely from Graham. I went to several of their games -- and she had no discipline with those girls -- their new point guard would mimic Coach Wyatt from the floor -- I was much surprised with that. When they played Carroll at Tazewell for the playoff game their #24 was really out of control during the 4th quarter -- I was not impressed -- now if next year she has a Graham team and her record is this improved then I would be willing to re-evalulate my opinion.

I beg to differ with you -- if Tazewell did not have their freshman they would not have made it as far as they did. Tazewell has been known to have freshman on the varsity -- and after a year of two it really pays off -- look at last year when they made it further than ANY girls' team in SWD history -- they were not especially bid or fast -- they peaked at the end and played their games with heart -- I was impressed. As for my 1st team selections for the SWD girls

PLAYER OF THE YEAR : Allie Hunter -- playing at UVA Charlottesville next year and has played the role of teacher for those young players.Not to mention that she is a McDonald's All AMerican Selection and a Wendy's Heisman nominee

1. Allie Hunter (Tazewell)

2. Samantha Rice (Grundy) she has been Grundy's secret weapon for 4 years -- she is unbelievable at the charity stripe.

3. Courtney Edwards (Carroll County) the most consistant shooter in the SWD.

4. Jessi Watts (Carroll County) good at the point and a good outside shooter.

5. Jenny Keene (Richlands) she carried RHS this season and last -- if she's on RHS was in the game -- if not they were not.

Second Team Selection:

6. Kristen Roberts (Graham)

7. Kayla Roberts (Graham_

8. Sydney Webb (Carroll)

9. Courtney Brooks (Tazewell)

10. Loray Spade (Graham)

But this is just my opinion

[ QUOTE ]

The coaching had very little to with Graham's success -- any team that has 4 kids to move in and 3 of them over 6' the other being the team's new starting point guard should have a much improved record. I would like to see how she would have done with the those girls that are truely from Graham. I went to several of their games -- and she had no discipline with those girls -- their new point guard would mimic Coach Wyatt from the floor -- I was much surprised with that. When they played Carroll at Tazewell for the playoff game their #24 was really out of control during the 4th quarter -- I was not impressed -- now if next year she has a Graham team and her record is this improved then I would be willing to re-evalulate my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let’s not be hasty and make the assumption that height makes someone an all-world basketball player. It certainly does help, in some instances, for example, the Roberts twins. They were rebounding machines, but after pulling it down, what did they do with the ball? Given the way you’re talking about them, they should’ve each averaged 20ppg on putbacks alone, but they didn’t. Why? They’re not shooters. Many times, they couldn’t execute a simple jumper over people 5’6â€Â. Lawrence played like a bonehead the entire season and was the very definition of a non-factor, so we can just exclude her from the conversation entirely. Spade can shoot, but is streaky. She proved to be a childish hothead towards the end of the season, definitely showing a lot of frustration and acting out on the court. But, she wasn’t doing that until the end of the season, and that’s fact. Spade got pulled after one such stunt (vs Carroll, at Tazewell, actually) and I know the matter was addressed even further after that instance. I’m assuming you didn’t travel to Hillsville for the tournament; otherwise, you’d have noticed the attitude adjustment. I may even be willing to bet the only times you saw Graham play were either against Tazewell or at Tazewell...

I do agree with you in that Graham wouldn’t have made it as far without these players. Why? They’re seniors. On a young team, they provided some semblance of leadership because they’ve been around the game at varsity speed for years. As far as them making an Earth-shattering contribution, though, I beg to differ. They were role players, and most of the time, there was only two of them max on the floor at the same time (one Roberts and Spade…Lawrence had likely gotten herself into foul trouble by then). Who ended up being Graham’s leading scorer? I don’t know the answer, but I have a good guess, and if I’m correct, it’s not one of your prized transfers. The best players on that team were young underclassmen who didn’t transfer in. It’s unfair to compare this next season to the ’06-‘07 season in terms of production. Why? Because of graduation, Graham’s going to be replacing seniors with more young players. They may not win as many games in ’07-‘08, but they’ll still be competitive, for they have their solid, consistent offensive contributors returning. Mark my words on that one. And, after seeing Graham’s JV play, if next season’s varsity G-Girls are competitive by any stretch of the word, you can absolutely attribute that to Wyatt…of course, I’m sure you’ll find some other reason not to give credit where it’s due.

Graham’s a border school. Kidsâ€â€ballplayers, specificallyâ€â€transfer from Beaver to Graham all the time, back and forth, and have for years. Is it a coincidence that this season, their first under Wyatt, they also decided to actually play respectable basketball and climb out of the SWD basement for the first time in, oh, 30 years? You believe what makes it easier for you to get through the day; facts point otherwise. She’s not going to be perfect in her first year, and I’m sure she’d change some things if she had them to do over a second time, but to assert that Wyatt basically just showed up and let the new G-Girls run the zoo is completely absurd…bordering on delusional, actually. Then again, your post does contain a strong hint of bitterness. Perhaps, you aren’t being objective in your analysis, such as it was?

let's clarify: hunter (as i understand it, and i'm allowed to be wrong, mind you) has been invited to walk-on at uva, she hasn't been offered a scholarship--nor should she be, imo. and, it's not hard to get nominated for a wendy's heisman: my best friend in high school was, and she wasn't a stellar athlete. that, i believe, has a lot to do with grades, and i understand allie's grades are excellent. but, she's not a very good leader. that much is evident by the attitude she displays on the floor. talented? unquestionably. it's a shame her actions overshadow that, though.

oh, and btw, she wasn't poy. sorry. i think the coaches got it right. halfway, anyway. gotta love politics...

[ QUOTE ]

let's clarify: hunter (as i understand it, and i'm allowed to be wrong, mind you) has been invited to walk-on at uva, she hasn't been offered a scholarship--nor should she be, imo. and, it's not hard to get nominated for a wendy's heisman: my best friend in high school was, and she wasn't a stellar athlete. that, i believe, has a lot to do with grades, and i understand allie's grades are excellent. but, she's not a very good leader. that much is evident by the attitude she displays on the floor. talented? unquestionably. it's a shame her actions overshadow that, though.

oh, and btw, she wasn't poy. sorry. i think the coaches got it right. halfway, anyway. gotta love politics...

[/ QUOTE ]

Allie is no way playing at UVA

its a joke that people even think she can play there

and she is a piss poor leader, wouldn't even try half the time

Kelsey is the future of bball at twell

In response to the Coach Wyatt situation

give her time, you can't take old players and teach them new methods

allow her to start working with the freshies and she how she does

she will dominate

guranteed

[ QUOTE ]

look at last year when they made it further than ANY girls' team in SWD history and PLAYER OF THE YEAR : Allie Hunter -- playing at UVA Charlottesville next year and has played the role of teacher for those young players.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all Carroll County made it to the semi finals in the state tourn. when Erin Gibson played. They also made it to the first round of state two years ago. Secondly Allie Hunter is not playing at UVA Charlottesville. And thirdly, she isn't teaching them anything but to be lazy and have a horrible attitude toward their coach and the rest of the team.

you got to put kelsey from Tazewell on the 1st or 2nd team because she played hard on both side of the ball and she got back most of the time when the other couldnt run the floor. but i blame that on beieng out of shape i think Tazewell will have a better team next year. onlytime will tell.

[ QUOTE ]

its honestly pathetic that all you people have time to do is sit on here and bash 17 year old girls... get a life!

[/ QUOTE ]

allie, honey, this is exactly what i'm talking about with you. you have a lot of athletic talent and are a solid bball player. clearly, though, you can't handle criticism. no one on this thread has bashed you--they've just stated facts. you have a terrible attitude when you play, or if you truly don't, you sure do a nice job of convincing a lot of people that you do. want further validation? check swd poy voting. if it was on talent alone, that should have been you and watts, imo. keene's not as skilled as you; but, her attitude sets her apart from you. want specifics? she doesn't quit on plays, even when you all had richlands nailed in the tournament last week, she played til the very end of the game. you, meanwhile, sulked around until you finally asked to be subbed out of the carroll game. you're a smart girl; surely you can understand the difference. saying you aren't a d-1 player isn't necessarily a knock on you. there are few, few players from around here who can contribute at the d-1 level. you, unfortunately, aren't one of them. it's not a cut, it's just the way it is. good players learn to deal with criticism, even if they disagree with it...or they learn to block it out, which is apparent you can't do, otherwise, you wouldn't have replied to the thread.

sutherland should, at the VERY least, be second team, but she's not. that's very interesting to me. did her coach bring her name up for consideration in the meetings? did the district coaches blackball her? did her coach get outvoted in a political slugfest? i know which pony i'm picking in that race. read between the lines; that one's not hard to figure out.

i totally agree with you, carrollfan. well, on the tazewell thing, anyway. imo, coaches should have the option of voting their own as poy. what happens in the instance two or more players from the same team are nominated for poy? if the coach of that team abstains, you've got a potential tie, which isn't always the right thing. as it is, co-poy is a horrible idea, taking into consideration how things are handled voting-wise down the road at region and state. oh, and although it's a rarity, not all coaches vote for their own player when placed against another, better player. it's called being fair and objective. many coaches, unfortunately, confuse that with loyalty, and can't bring themselves to help make the "right" decision when it comes to postseason accolades...perhaps, because such awards reflect back on the coach, to a certain extent.

analysis time! let's make the safe assumption that mitchell voted hunter for poy. obviously, that leaves 4 other district teams. there was a two-way tie for poy; so, clearly, that vote was split 2-2. i'm guessing richlands and grundy voted for keene (after all, she did drop around 30 points on grundy) while carroll and graham voted for watts. if you're keeping score, that means no coach voted hunter as poy but her own. there is no other rational explanation for what went down other than that, although i suppose i could've gotten the vote mixed around: graham for keene and grundy for watts, but i doubt it. this is exactly the statement i was alluding to in my last post: it's not only forum-poster laypeople, what was it...who need to get a life..who think poorly of hunter's attitude.

the results of the first-team voting also hint that it wasn't a very controversial, political affair. think about it. so why didn't sutherland get her due? interesting. very interesting.

Where did you get the results of the votes -- I haven't seen it yet? As for Hunter she HAS been invited to try out for UVA Charlottesville and she turned down scholarships at ETSU and Ferman (South Carolina) both D1 schools. She applied early admission at UVA and found out Dec 1 that she was accepted and on Dec 2 got the offer from the UVA recruiter to walk on. Thats facts -- As for Sutherland -- she is no doubt a great player -- Again where are the SWD all district team results available at?

[ QUOTE ]

why not any Graham girls...they made it farther than any Graham girls basketball team since 1974....and STILL no respect??

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not a matter of respect; it's a matter of not having any true standout athletes on the team. the bdt alluded to it throughout the season, and it was even said on here: graham had no "stars," someone different stepped up each game. how, then, do you select one player (or two) to nominate over the others? the one player i could have understood wyatt nominating was spade. but, given the tantrums she threw right before tournament time, i would assume wyatt didn't nominate her for first-team. if that's what happened, which would make a lot of sense, i definitely applaud her for that decision.

as for hunter, it's great she got invited to walk-on. but, let's not get hasty and assume an invitation automatically means she'll make the team. uva, after all, is playing in by far, the toughest women's basketball conference in the country. if she does, for some cosmic reason, happen to make the team, she won't be a major contributor. a.) she's not tall enough, b.) she's not a consistent enough shooter, and c.) her attitude as it is now, frankly, sucks. but, she's chosen a good academic college to attend, and that's what it's all about, really. good luck to her. maybe she'll prove me wrong.

[ QUOTE ]

what about one of the two twins...both had a very solid year down low...

[/ QUOTE ]

and how exactly would you differentiate between the two? neither was a consistent point producer. your post further illustrates my point, for if one stood out over the other, you would have mentioned her specifically.

[ QUOTE ]

Tazewell Also votes for their own player no matter what and all sports. I think your own school should not be able to vote for their own player in the poy race.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me change what I said about the school not voting for their own player. A school should not be able to nominate their own player because if the player is truely a great player then she or he should stand out in the other coaches minds. This way only the best players will be nominated and voted on. But then again you will have some coaches getting together and saying I will nominate your player, if you will nominate my player. lol