swd girls tourney

littlraskul

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to be one of the first ones to congratulate the G-Girls on making it to Regionals. It has been over 30 years and that is something to be proud of. They have had a few good teams in the past but didn't make it this far which is due to the coaching situatuions in the past 10 years. Even if they don't make it out of the first round it's a major accomplishment and I'm proud of them.

[ QUOTE ]

I want to be one of the first ones to congratulate the G-Girls on making it to Regionals. It has been over 30 years and that is something to be proud of. They have had a few good teams in the past but didn't make it this far which is due to the coaching situatuions in the past 10 years. Even if they don't make it out of the first round it's a major accomplishment and I'm proud of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone up for starting the "Tracy Wyatt for Boy's Head Coach" campaign???

it's not always about talent; it's about getting players to buy into the program you're building. and, frankly, i disagree with you a little bit. graham's got a ton of height, and some young talent. but, all in all, i think they've got zero pure, game-dominating, blueblooded, experienced athletes. they give teams matchup problems because of their inside height, and therefore, rebounding edge and second-chance points potential. it's not a bad thing, necessarily, but it is what it is.

here's my point: trade places--t.wyatt to tazewell, mitchell to graham. who'd be the more successful team then? hunter and sutherland are 100% athlete and all-around players. it'd be something to see them flourish under wyatt's tutelage. they'd be straight-up dangerous.

I think the key here is athletes buying into the program. The Graham girls play as a team and everyone seems to buy into being a part of something good.

They play very well together, and it seems someone different steps up every night.

Comment on the Tazewell situation....

You can not combine freshman and seniors and expect to have a successful program.

Even if the talent is present, egos get in the way and they can't work as a team.

That is pretty evident this season.

ok here it is the season is almost over does anyone have an idea on who are the top 5 players in the district?

my picks

allie hunter

kelsey sutherland

jessie watts

jennie keen

spade girl from graham

not in any special order

Guest Woolybugger

[ QUOTE ]

ok here it is the season is almost over does anyone have an idea on who are the top 5 players in the district?

my picks

allie hunter

kelsey sutherland

jessie watts

jennie keen

spade girl from graham

not in any special order

[/ QUOTE ]

Sydney Webb from CC. Top scorer on the district champion deserves a nod. 40% from 3-point range. Not many boys can claim that.

a team of freshmen and seniors can be successful. just ask graham or carroll, who both regularly start or rotate in freshmen. the problem i see at ths is lack of floor leadership.

anyway, here's my five, in order, of course (granted, i've not seen grundy):

jessi watts- nobody in the swd does a better job of running an offense

kelsey sutherland- tremendous young shooter with a ton of upside

allie hunter- excellent ball-handler, but shows immaturity and a total lack of leadership when she's frustrated and asks to be subbed out and/or quits on plays

chelsea gallinger- consistent clutch player for the g-girls

sydney webb- dangerous from three, very strong on defense

i almost put graham's lorey spade ahead of webb, as i see lorey as the more consistent all-around shooter of the two. but, webb is far, far better defensively. as far as carroll's courtney edwards goes, i think she is very consistent and definitely has the potential to be a top-five swd player, but in carroll's offense, she's underutlilized and fades in comparison to watts, webb, and even kayla goins. richlands's jenny keene hasn't shown me anything special. just because she's the best player rhs has this year doesn't mean she's top 5 swd. or even top 10. the roberts twins definitely stand out as rebounders, but neither are stellar scorers, imo. i'd put them at #7 and #8, behind spade. lawrence is, quite possibly, the most boneheaded girls' player i've seen in quite a while. she has a ton of potential, but doesn't play with her head, getting into foul trouble nearly every game, on stupid, stupid fouls. i'd put her behind keene.

as far as the carroll girls go, both webb and watts play volleyball. sydney (webb) was swd player of the year this past season, and jessi (watts) was 1st team all-swd. i think one or two of our freshmen may play soccer, kayla goins being one.

[ QUOTE ]

a team of freshmen and seniors can be successful. just ask graham or carroll, who both regularly start or rotate in freshmen. the problem i see at ths is lack of floor leadership.

anyway, here's my five, in order, of course (granted, i've not seen grundy):

jessi watts- nobody in the swd does a better job of running an offense

kelsey sutherland- tremendous young shooter with a ton of upside

allie hunter- excellent ball-handler, but shows immaturity and a total lack of leadership when she's frustrated and asks to be subbed out and/or quits on plays

chelsea gallinger- consistent clutch player for the g-girls

sydney webb- dangerous from three, very strong on defense

i almost put graham's lorey spade ahead of webb, as i see lorey as the more consistent all-around shooter of the two. but, webb is far, far better defensively. as far as carroll's courtney edwards goes, i think she is very consistent and definitely has the potential to be a top-five swd player, but in carroll's offense, she's underutlilized and fades in comparison to watts, webb, and even kayla goins. richlands's jenny keene hasn't shown me anything special. just because she's the best player rhs has this year doesn't mean she's top 5 swd. or even top 10. the roberts twins definitely stand out as rebounders, but neither are stellar scorers, imo. i'd put them at #7 and #8, behind spade. lawrence is, quite possibly, the most boneheaded girls' player i've seen in quite a while. she has a ton of potential, but doesn't play with her head, getting into foul trouble nearly every game, on stupid, stupid fouls. i'd put her behind keene.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know who says a team w/ freshman and seniors cant be succesful, carroll has 3 freshman on the floor at one time quite a bit andria leanard,kayla goins and KT jones. and i know it will not happen 3 ppl from one team being considered for 1st team but courtney edwards should be on that list she's shooting over 40 percent from the field almost 50 i think i read very good player but i think raskul might be right though. but jessie and sydney definitley

i'd like to totally amend my previous statements about richlands's jenny keene. when i saw her play graham earlier in the week, she was either having an off-game or graham was doing a heckuva job defensively, as she was neither very impressive nor productive. however, she had a much better outing tonight against tazewell, and truly displayed both heart and talent. kid's definitely a player, but unfortunately is on a team that, frankly, isn't very good. all things considered, i'd put her in my swd top 5, most definitely.

if you are talking about the girl from richlands that was bringing the ball up the court every time, then I would have to disagree with your statement. She got away with about 6 travels tonight all in the first half. I left at half time so I did not get to see the end of the game.